Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I was building a cardboard box GI Joe base...

So I was building a cardboard box GI Joe base...

And was trying to think of a good handle to open a door and before I could think of something my 5yo recommended 550 cord. I thought that was a good idea. It worked out great.

These classified series GI joes are pretty cool 😎
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    And was trying to think of a good handle to open a door and before I could think of something my 5yo recommended 550 cord. I thought that was a good idea. It worked out great.

These classified series GI joes are pretty cool 😎
    GI Joe was my favorite toy...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Yeah, this thread was reminding me of the astronaut GI Joe and the space capsule I had in the early seventies.

GI Joe Resolute went largely unnoticed, but I thought it was a great mash-up of the 80s cartoon with the All American Hero Comic Books.

My son really liked the GI Joe: Renegades series when it came out. It was like GI Joe meets the A-Team. A bit of a different take on the franchise. And if you haven't read GI Joe: Cobra, you're missing one of the best GI Joe stories ever (not for kids). Yo Joe!
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I had an OG GI joe as a kid. Sort of looked like CF’s avatar. I found that thing again when I was a freshman in HS, so I grabbed the x-acto blade, gave him a mohawk, and cut the sleeves off of his little army jacket. Instant 80s punk rocker. I sort of wish I still had the little guy. I’d hang him off the rearview, next to the parking pass for the private place.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The 1980's GI Joe comic book published by Marvel Comics was one of my favorite ones to read as a kid.

Larry Hama wrote almost the entire original run. If I remember correctly, he was a Vietnam vet and I believe was either an engineer or EOD soldier in the Army with tunnel clearing experience. The character of Tunnel Rat is based off of him.

He brought some authenticity to what was supposed to be monthly toy advertisement. He also created some elaborate back stories for characters like Snake Eyes, Zartan, Firefly, Destro etc. The stories also tended to be multi-part long running stories as opposed to one-off monthly throw-aways. Reprints or the originals are worth finding if you're an 80s kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    GI Joe was my favorite toy...
    Do tell! We could have never guessed that.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Do tell! We could have never guessed that.
    LOL! I also like that avatar because a much larger individual once said “you look just like a little GI Joe”. I have too much gray hair now, so maybe GI Joe Senior edition?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    LOL! I also like that avatar because a much larger individual once said “you look just like a little GI Joe”. I have too much gray hair now, so maybe GI Joe Senior edition?
    GI Joe Silver Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by MRW View Post
    The 1980's GI Joe comic book published by Marvel Comics was one of my favorite ones to read as a kid.

Larry Hama wrote almost the entire original run. If I remember correctly, he was a Vietnam vet and I believe was either an engineer or EOD soldier in the Army with tunnel clearing experience. The character of Tunnel Rat is based off of him.

He brought some authenticity to what was supposed to be monthly toy advertisement. He also created some elaborate back stories for characters like Snake Eyes, Zartan, Firefly, Destro etc. The stories also tended to be multi-part long running stories as opposed to one-off monthly throw-aways. Reprints or the originals are worth finding if you're an 80s kid.
    To your point, I think the GI Joe: A Real American Hero series was often dismissed as a vehicle to sell toys, but Hama's Silent Interlude is now broadly recognized as a modern classic.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List