Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red dot index and high register

Red dot index and high register

Something I really enjoy this time of year is early morning hikes in the desert. I often use the low sun angle to observe how different red dots do in adverse light conditions, and as part of that, draw to a position with my trigger finger in high register on the slide.

My index is pretty decent, but frequently I notice my dot is not there with my finger high on the slide. Deconstructing it, I came to realize that my dot is there when firing, the dot is there with my trigger finger straight, but the motion of bringing my trigger finger high in register against the slide changes my wrist angle, and brings the dot high and out of the display on a smaller optic.

My wife noticed the same thing. Others noticing this?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I must check. Not that I’ve noticed. But this seems a logical place to ask a tangentially related question I’ve been wondering about. Have you found pistol grip angles other than Glock to be materially easier to groove the level index so you immediately pick up the dot?

I thought it logical that the answer would be yes based on the common experience of Glocks presenting high. I’ve noticed it when moving from a lot of 1911 draws to index, then back to Glock.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I notice this depending on the gun, and I noticed it before going to dots when dry fire practicing putting sights on target with high register and then breaking a shot. Even with irons I could see the move from ejection port to trigger disturbing my sight picture despite drying to only move my trigger finger.

With some guns, depending on size and ejection port shape and location, have to contort my long fingers and big hand more to get my trigger finger in the ejection port. On a 1911, a full size Glock, or a PPQ, I don’t have this problem to the same degree. On those guns I can move my finger back and forth between the trigger and high register without disturbing the sights much (but it still happens a little bit). In my initial work with a dot I’m finding I can draw to high register fine with a 1911, but I’m only just getting started and while my index is pretty good for a dot novice it definitely needs work. If I had a dot on my PPS I think I could have a problem there.

I noticed this when I first started really diving into red dots early in 2022. Something about bringing the index finger that high up on the slide either changes the wrist angle or causes other fingers to move and takes the dot off target.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Not trying to be an asshole, but what’s the thought about trigger finger on slide instead of trigger finger on frame?

Why wouldn’t it change gun angle if the finger was all the way up on slide (as opposed to register on high frame)?

Perhaps there’s a relationship to finger length. In my case, reaching for the ejection port doesn’t create any wrist angle changes or dot shift- but it’s easy to imagine that different sized hands would manifest this effect.

Name:  IMG_6125.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  32.4 KBName:  IMG_6124.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  33.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Perhaps there’s a relationship to finger length.
    Geez, I thought that you phoned home in 1982…

Anyway, I’ve always noticed that any angle that deviates from a natural trigger finger lay messes ever so slightly with my sight picture presentation even when using irons. I have average length fingers.

Hold a narrow glass of water in your hand. Then, extend your finger and notice the subtle movements of the water surface as you move the extended finger in the vertical plane.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Geez, I thought that you phoned home in 1982…

Anyway, I’ve always noticed that any angle that deviates from a natural trigger finger lay messes ever so slightly with my sight picture presentation even when using irons. I have average length fingers.

Hold a narrow glass of water in your hand. Then, extend your finger and notice the subtle movements of the water surface as you move the extended finger in the vertical plane.
    Sure, but if your support hand is doing its thing, the effect can be minimal.

Now, off on my levitating bicycle to get a pizza without those little fishes.

Site Supporter
    When carrying my Glock, no issue since I have the most practice with it. My M&P is another issue. I have pretty big dick beaters and fingertip in the ejection port just doesn't work.

I tend to default to fingertip to the ejection port after training with some very good people.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I must check. Not that I’ve noticed. But this seems a logical place to ask a tangentially related question I’ve been wondering about. Have you found pistol grip angles other than Glock to be materially easier to groove the level index so you immediately pick up the dot?

I thought it logical that the answer would be yes based on the common experience of Glocks presenting high. I’ve noticed it when moving from a lot of 1911 draws to index, then back to Glock.
    Not GJM, but for me, YES! I’ve got tens of thousands of rounds through B92 variants, about 12k through USPc variants, and recently was issued a G19.5 MOS.
    So I did the responsible thing and bought a G26.5 w/ RMR for carry on my own time. I’m still working on the proper index presentation with the dot, but right now the dot is “missing” about 69% of the time I bring the gun up, and I have to deliberately lower the muzzle to bring it into view. I’m sure it will be corrected with enough reps, but it’s certainly a clear demonstration of the effects of muscle memory and grip angle when moving from about any other platform to the Glock.

User Tag List