Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Key Chain Replacement for Surefire Sidekick

I like my sidekicks too bad if discontinued

The light on one's phone will do 90+% of what keychain lights are used for and the phone is already with you

I never carried my sidekick on my key chain

Oh and as a side note what non-PRC phone y'all carrying?

Site Supporter
    What would be on my keys, if they weren't too bulky already, would be the Fenix LD01, or it's successor, that rides in my pocket. It's a 1 AAA and it's still really stiff after all of the years I've carried it, I wouldn't worry about it unscrewing itself. I don't know how old it is, but it's discontinued old.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

I think my dad clips his to the belt and doesn’t have it on his key ring.

Site Supporter
    The use of an 800USD phone in lieu of a purpose designed flashlight at 20.00ish- 80 ish seems like simply using the wrong tool for the job.

Drop issues/light issues/wet issues etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-7...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Comp...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

One would not use Bugatti to move mulch yet “we” do the functional equivalent in the flashlight realm on the daily. Not a good look IMHO.

Re the PRC nature of phones- this is a space where it is extremely difficult to buy non PRC. I would humbly assert this is why “we” should therefore make a concerted effort to do so in the spaces that we can.

I would also note the Apple is making a concerted effort to broaden their manufacturing location base i.e. the iPhone 13 is being made in India.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/a...ia-2022-04-11/
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  32.5 KB

Not sure which Fenix this is but it’s brutally tough, reliable, and bright. I run aaa Eneloops in it.

Site Supporter
    I have a couple of the Streamlight Pocketmate USBs that I use at work. They punch way out of their weight and cost class. 325 lumens, around 25 bucks and they aren’t much bigger than the cheap old coin cell leds that were out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimagirus View Post
    I have a couple of the Streamlight Pocketmate USBs that I use at work. They punch way out of their weight and cost class. 325 lumens, around 25 bucks and they aren’t much bigger than the cheap old coin cell leds that were out there.
    I wear one around my neck as a back up light and also to hold in my mouth as a makeshift head lamp light.
    I wish it charged faster and used a USB-C but aside from that it's pretty damn amazing.

If I was going to put a light on my keychain it would be a skilhunt e3a for a AAA option or EK1 for a usb-c option

I use the Nitecore Tip SE.

https://www.amazon.com/NITECORE-Dual...ore+tip&sr=8-5

700 lumens for 30 sec then it ramps down somewhat. Can be set to light for 30 sec at a time (pocket carry) or stay on until it's manually turned off.

I've used the older plain Tip lights for many years and even my oldest one is still working (now taped to my Dillon 550 as a work light). The SE uses usb C.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    I don't like the bigger key chain lights and use to use a Photon light. However, I upgraded to Streamlight 73303 Pocket Mate 325-Lumen Pocket Keychain/Clip-on USB Rechargeable Flashlight.

They are small and surprisingly bright. Have to check to keep them charged. I also carry a 'normal' gun guy Surefire clipped to a cargo pocket. I use both at times.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List