Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebluing a 27-2

Rebluing a 27-2

I recently obtained a Model 27-2 5” that’s going to be a keeper. Unfortunately, somebody along the line dorked up the finish pretty good - some bluing loss in the cylinder flutes, and in particular some scratches on the barrel, which is why it was as cheap as it was. I’m interested in having it reblued. I’ve considered the pros and cons and don’t care about the resale value. I do want quality work done, however.

I’ve seen Ford’s thrown around quite a bit. Smith also offers rebluing. Who should I consider for this job and why?

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I recently obtained a Model 27-2 5” that’s going to be a keeper. Unfortunately, somebody along the line dorked up the finish pretty good - some bluing loss in the cylinder flutes, and in particular some scratches on the barrel, which is why it was as cheap as it was. I’m interested in having it reblued. I’ve considered the pros and cons and don’t care about the resale value. I do want quality work done, however.

I’ve seen Ford’s thrown around quite a bit. Smith also offers rebluing. Who should I consider for this job and why?
    I’d seriously look at Glenrock Blue.

https://gunbluing.com/

I assume you recommend their master blue?

My father had Smith reblue a pre-27 some years ago. The work was superb.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I assume you recommend their master blue?
    Whatever the one they recommend for Smith's of that era is what I'd go for.

I would send it back to Smith & Wesson. They do a fantastic job.

Smith&Wesson’s prices are very reasonable:
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/custome...on-gunsmithing

Just for the record the factory will not be able to even come close to the bluing that was on the 27-2 for the era. If you want it looking as close to how it was born as possible, personally I'd go to Glenrock.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Just for the record the factory will not be able to even come close to the bluing that was on the 27-2 for the era. If you want it looking as close to how it was born as possible, personally I'd go to Glenrock.
    I spoke with Doug on the phone this afternoon. Seemed like a knowledgable guy. He recommended the Deluxe for the gun.

I spoke with Doug on the phone this afternoon. Seemed like a knowledgable guy. He recommended the Deluxe for the gun.
    Very cool! Post some pics when you get it back of their work please?

User Tag List