Thread: Vent Hole in Sizing Die

Vent Hole in Sizing Die

For the most part I am happy with the Lee Undersize 9mm die with the Squirrel Daddy pins. But with my recent migration to the RL1100 there is greater consequence of a primer not getting clear of the pin, since the next station is swaging and it will smash the thing right up in there again, and then there is no primer pocket for the primer, and since you are seating while you are sizing there is no so much feel as with most other presses.

The other day it occurred to me that maybe there is no place for air to vent in while the primer is being pushed out (the collet is pretty tight around the pin)?
    I thought I would pop a small hole in the die, way up higher than the sizing is happening, as an experiment. Just did about thirty rounds and the primers do seem to be hitting the catch bin with a little more velocity. This might be my imagination, but seems to have helped.

Just passing this along, wondering it makes sense to anyone else.

Name:  Vent Hole.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  22.5 KB

Can you adjust the decapping pin a little lower to assure the primer is pushed clear of the pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Can you adjust the decapping pin a little lower to assure the primer is pushed clear of the pocket?
    My adjustment strategy is to tap the thing down lower than it can be and let the next casing push it up into to place, so it is as far down as possible. Primers clinging to the pin is a known concern, and there are high end dies (Mighty Armory, some others) that even have spring loaded functionality to pop it loose, and these are preferred by the folks running automation. Just trying to get a little more emphatic action out of my $28 Lee die

ETA: The chatter on the dang ol internet is that there is a tendency for the anvil to get stuck to the pin, and the primer gets pulled back up into the pocket. Grinding a chiseled edge onto the pin is another scheme (done).

You made me think about the occasional issues I've seen about spent primers launching erratically during decapping. I hadn't considered air compression as the case is sized and decapped being a factor.

Thank you!
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I have a Mighty Armory depriming die and I like it. I have to check it every now and then because the replaceable decapping pin comes loose sometimes. I would buy another.

I have just loaded 4500 rounds, have another 1500 to do so I should get a good feel for if it maybe helps.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I have a Mighty Armory depriming die and I like it. I have to check it every now and then because the replaceable decapping pin comes loose sometimes. I would buy another.
    I have one too, but have only used it on rifle cases since I prep rifle cases long before loading so I can just grab a bag of prepped brass and load it up instead of trying to do all my prep with only a 550.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Could the used primer be clinging to the firing pin and getting pulled back into the pocket?

This was happening on my 650, and I sanded a small bevel on one side of depriming pin tip. The problem went completely away.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Could the used primer be clinging to the firing pin and getting pulled back into the pocket?

This was happening on my 650, and I sanded a small bevel on one side of depriming pin tip. The problem went completely away.
    Yes, I also did this, it is my understanding that pushing it out with force that is not perfectly centered helps. Also if the point of the pin nestles down into the center of the anvil it can contribute to the cause.

Anyway, like I said I have another 1500 to kick out, just another fun experiment. This isn't a real serious problem for me, I just loaded about 4,500 rounds and it happened two or three times. But it would be nice if it happened none.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    When this line was being developed and soon after, I corresponded with the designer who is a fine gentleman. The company is a small business, and I urge others to consider Mighty Armory.

User Tag List