Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Patterned Compliance Pistol

@SouthNarc, since you’re an inveterate gun nerd, are you familiar with the Budischowsky TP-70? Just curious. Seems like your sort of thing to own, if not exactly carry. About 12oz, slightly smaller than a P32. Very hipster.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Could even consider grinding down the mag release button.

Aftermarket replacement mag releases at mcarbo.

https://www.mcarbo.com/Printable%20I...-Printable.pdf
    Galloway sells a higher rate mag release spring for the LCP...wonder if that would fit?
    The P3AT spring looks very similar.
    Combine the two approaches?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    @SouthNarc, since you’re an inveterate gun nerd, are you familiar with the Budischowsky TP-70? Just curious. Seems like your sort of thing to own, if not exactly carry. About 12oz, slightly smaller than a P32. Very hipster.

Man….

I’ve let a couple get away from me now. 😔 Won’t miss the next one.

Normally, when I carry front pocket, it is on the premise that I can or have already identified the threat. Thus, I have my hand on the gun (J frame) and ready to deploy quickly and shoot the nose or if really close, dump all 5 rounds in the body.

I tried this PCP method at home. My hand movements were all underhanded when giving up stuff. Thus, my draw has to be the same fashion: underhand and the same speed as my previous movements. However, if I am that close to hand stuff off, I am too close to have a straight shot to the nose. I would have to do an uppercut motion the to the neck or jawline. Since I have .32, I would not feel great going for just the body shots to disable the crook enough to not shoot me right away. The mandible and hard palate are pretty tough and probably will be enough to prevent penetration into the skull.

I tried this with my son. He had an airsoft gun and I had an old small remote control in my back pocket (I don't have a blue gun so sue me). He knows how to shoot but is not super skilled. It worked! I got the remote to his cheek and yell bang before he could pull his own trigger. At one point, he actually was using his gun hand to help collect that stuff! He still shot me in the ass out of spite (lil bastard).

Right now, I'm thinking 2 shots, sidestep and immediate deployment of my primary pistol without waiting to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Any photos of that mod?
    It was a long time ago, the guns are long gone, and unfortunately I don't have photos. I used something like a nail file to grind the shape more flat and knock the resulting sharp edges off. The release was still slightly proud of the surface, but not by much. It was maybe a 5 minute job.

The LCP in 32 ACP would be nice.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    The LCP in 32 ACP would be nice.
    IKR?
    KelTec apparently sells every P32 they make, an they go for scalper's prices.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Name:  IMG_6056.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  100.9 KB

That was my practice setup, primarily looking to gather data on what it would take to make two head shots after the patterning. Goal was keeping rounds inside the ocular window circle in the "Manny" targets here. With the Ruger LCP the split between the two targets was .38-.50 depending. For comparison, two shots on the same target (close target) was running right at .3. The LCP's long DA trigger just takes some time to row through.

Targeting the body didn't really speed things up any as it just takes some time to move through the reset and trigger on the squirmy little LCP.

It's long enough that I expect the other guy will have had time to react to the first shot in some form or fashion.

The temptation lots of foiks are going to have is rushing that first shot. Trying to make that one fast instead of deliberate. With the right patterning you buy plenty of time to make that first shot count, especially if you present the pistol in a manner consistent with the ruse.

Those are the finer pieces I expect Craig will (wisely) put behind a paywall. I can see a couple of ways to look completely compliant while buying some extra time and diverting attention and focus away from what your gun retrieving hand is doing.

I also did some work with a Kahr CM9 I bought some years ago but haven't ever shot much. Unsurprisingly the shooting portion of the exercise is considerably easier when you are using the bigger pistol with the better sights. The orange paint I have on the front sight of that Kahr pays off in terms of accuracy at speed. The extra meat on the gun makes it easier to land a consistent grip.

...but, and it's a fatty scooter at Wal-Mart sized butt, it doesn't come out of the pocket nearly as smoothly or easily as the LCP. It also looks a lot more suspicious a lot earlier coming out of the pocket. It's a better shooting gun, but demonstrably worse for this particular purpose than the LCP. It would sell a bit better if it was all black.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Any photos of that mod?
    Not sure if you’ll get much from the photo but I took my magazine release button down a little at a time ensuring that there’s still plenty to release the magazine. It’s below the holster seam and that’s perfect.
    Name:  IMG_3938.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  20.2 KB Name:  IMG_3939.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  14.9 KB
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Name:  IMG_6056.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  100.9 KB
    Is it bad that every time I see that picture my first instinct is to call 911 to help a guy who is clutching his chest, having a heart attack?

Agree that with these triggers, people aren’t meaningfully going to be able to split much faster than 0.30. Add in compromised stance and ergos and it could be significantly more.

An LCPII would likely be able to split faster, but that’s not the point of this kind of an application and I think I’d rather have a revolver type DA trigger for something this small carried like this.

User Tag List