Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat NULA

Wilson Combat NULA

Anyone seen, heard of, experience with?

https://wilsoncombat.com/long-guns/nula-rifles.html

Back when the company was ULA in the early 90's, a buddy of mine had one that weighed just over 6 lbs; scope and all. It shot like a house on fire and was almost as light as your average rimfire rifle. If I wasn't a die-hard handgun hunter, I'd probably own one.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

For the sort of hunting available near me, one of these in .243 seems inordinately appealing. I’m not even put off by the price, and I’m probably in the poorer half of P-F.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    For the sort of hunting available near me, one of these in .243 seems inordinately appealing. I’m not even put off by the price, and I’m probably in the poorer half of P-F.
    Yeah, the .243 and 7-08 are very appealing. Unfortunately I already own one 243 and several 7-08 and don't really need to add anything to the safe. Maybe if they come out with a 6.5 PRC....

358 Win? That's a new one on me. Wilson loves to bring out rifles with some somewhat Oddball calibers.

I had a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor, which is the same pattern as these rifles. Loved the light weight (5lbs 4oz bare, IIRC) and accuracy (.75 MOA 5 shot group my first time out with hornady factory 147gr ELDM). The trigger was great too.

The bolt would bind pretty bad at the back of the stroke if you had off axis pressure, and I do not like safeties that don't lock the bolt as I carry my gun in a kifaru gunbearer while hunting. I sold it for more than I paid once production halted and bought a Tikka, which I like more overall despite the weight penalty.

My wife and I each still have a NULA in .260, that we bought for sheep hunting. Quality rifle, good shooter but lighter duty than a model 70, which shouldn't be surprising given the low empty weight. Given Bill Wilson's passion for lightweight hunting rifles, I suspect he has improved them even further.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Wilson Combat NULA

The Seekins Havak Element is more attractive to me. I prefer the Seekins stock design, and it comes in more calibers.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The Seekins Havak Element is more attractive to me. I prefer the Seekins stock design, and it comes in more calibers.
    While the Havak is lightweight, they are quite different class guns-- think slimline vs service pistol. The NULA is 2-3 pounds lighter.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While the Havak is lightweight, they are quite different class guns-- think slimline vs service pistol. The NULA is 2-3 pounds lighter.
    I’m seeing 4-5 lbs for the Wilson vs 5.5 lbs for the Seekins SA.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The Remington Model 7 KS in .243 Winchester weighed 5# without a scope, base, and rings in the mid-1990s. A Leupold M8-4X added 8 more ounces. The two-piece base added 2 ounces. Rings added 4 ounces. That means the Model 7 KS ready to go weighed just under 6 pounds. The Model 7 KS came pretty close to the weight of the NULA rifle at less than half the cost. Of course, that was twenty years ago, so the NULA is not much more expensive today and likely delivers much smaller groups.

User Tag List