Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilson Combat NULA

I’ve owned a ULA Model 20 in 243AI and a ULA 22LR for about 20 years, and inherited my father’s Model 24 in 280 Rem that is the same age. I’ve met Mel Forbes at SHOT a few times, and been very impressed with their rifles. They are not an all-purpose rifle, but for what they do, they are very well made. If I have one regret, I should have ordered the Model 20 in 260 Rem.

If Wilson is continuing the NULA legacy, them I’m sure they will be excellent rifles.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I’ve owned a ULA Model 20 in 243AI and a ULA 22LR for about 20 years, and inherited my father’s Model 24 in 280 Rem that is the same age. I’ve met Mel Forbes at SHOT a few times, and been very impressed with their rifles. They are not an all-purpose rifle, but for what they do, they are very well made. If I have one regret, I should have ordered the Model 20 in 260 Rem.

If Wilson is continuing the NULA legacy, them I’m sure they will be excellent rifles.
    The first time I went to the Brooks Range, north of the Arctic Circle, backpack Dall sheep hunting, my pack was 45 pounds and I had a model 70 based rifle. I was miserable, as there are no trails and you are scrambling non stop. The next year I had a 28 pound pack and a NULA in .260 -- amazing difference and it was a joy to climb.

The NULA is a specialized rifle for a hunt like Dall sheep. It is not the rifle I want to fight off a sow grizzly and two adult "cubs" with. Weight is a trade off and while more weight is wonderful to carry, especially strapped to your pack, less weight makes it harder to shoot in the wind and from jackass field positions.

Here is a picture of a NULA out sheep hunting.

Name:  IMG_6549.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  100.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Here is a picture of a NULA out sheep hunting.

Name:  IMG_6549.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  100.5 KB
    Beautiful scenery. Where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Beautiful scenery. Where is that?
    Eastern Brooks Range, in northern Alaska above the Arctic Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife and I each still have a NULA in .260, that we bought for sheep hunting. Quality rifle, good shooter but lighter duty than a model 70, which shouldn't be surprising given the low empty weight. Given Bill Wilson's passion for lightweight hunting rifles, I suspect he has improved them even further.
    I don’t exactly live under a rock, and I’d never heard of this brand…

Respectfully, GJM’s sigline might need to be changed to: “Has pretty much everything, in every caliber—and shoots them all damn well too!”

A very light rifle comes in handy sheep hunting, when you are climbing up and down mountains. Here are a few more pics from that trip.

Name:  IMG_6550.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6554.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6553.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  95.3 KB

User Tag List