Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FBI approves Aimpoint Duty

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    https://soldiersystems.net/2023/12/2...ounts-program/

Not surprisingly since the Duty would seem to be Aimpoint's answer to the SIG Romeo 4M and T.

I like the selectable reticle option of the Romeo and am intrigued by the concept of the new AAA powered SIG. But for essentially the same money the Aimpoint is going to a sort of unvetted optic but from a well vetted company.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    The Bureau went from the Aimpoint H2/T2 to the SIG in 2016/17 due to cost.

At the time SIG did not have their facility in Oregon and played purchase rule games with “assembled in USA” by essentially having a Chinese maker, build the Romo for M as parts kits, which were then imported and assembled by a US electronics company in California. There were some initial problems with the mounts and mount screws supplied with the early Romo 4M. The Romo 4M worked well when it worked. However, some of them would seemingly die at random. The circle dot reticle was particularly popular with those who had used EoTechs.

For this latest round of testing. Submitted the duty and the Comp M4S, both of which passed and received contracts.

My understanding is the Trijicon RMR HD and MRO were also approved as carbine optics. Not sure if either will get a contract. I’m also not sure how the MRO passed given its history of parallax issues.

If they continue to follow past practice, the aim points will be added to guns as they are built or rebuilt. Existing H1/T1, H2/T2, and SIG optics will continue in service along side the new optics for some time.

My agency has been issuing the Romo for as a carbon optic for a couple years now, and we’ve been pleased with it.

Limited experience with the SIG 4XT. It seems OK for daytime use, it has a separate series of daylight and low light settings like an EoTech. However, unlike an EO Tech, if you switch out of night Vision mode and then come back, it does not retain your exact setting. It has 10 daytime and 10 night vision settings. If you’re on night Vision setting seven and you switch modes when you return, it will automatically go to setting 10. If you were on a setting in the lower half of the night vision range, you switch and come back it will not come back to your old setting, but will instead go automatically to the lowest setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    You guys are about to cost me money...
    Right?!

Anyone know how the Romeo 4T is doing in the field? I think I’d prefer the coin battery after seeing how longitudinal batteries did in EOTechs. I’m looking for an optic for my 1301 and prefer a circle dot option.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Right?!

Anyone know how the Romeo 4T is doing in the field? I think I’d prefer the coin battery after seeing how longitudinal batteries did in EOTechs. I’m looking for an optic for my 1301 and prefer a circle dot option.
    We’ve been issuing the 4T for about 3 years now since Aimpoint discontinued our previously H-1s.

Several thousand in use, No issues.

It’s usable for passive aiming under NVG but technically not NVG rated.

I know someone who has an early 4T on a 9mm pistol used for competition with about 10k rounds on it. That’s more of a torture test then it will ever see on a long gun.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    We’ve been issuing the 4T for about 3 years now since Aimpoint discontinued our previously H-1s.

Several thousand in use, No issues.

It’s usable for passive aiming under NVG but technically not NVG rated.

I know someone who has an early 4T on a 9mm pistol used for competition with about 10k rounds on it. That’s more of a torture test then it will ever see on a long gun.
    They have this on a pistol? Is it on a 6 Second Mount?

https://www.primaryarms.com/sig-saue...ad-reticle-fde

Site Supporter
    They have this on a pistol? Is it on a 6 Second Mount?

https://www.primaryarms.com/sig-saue...ad-reticle-fde
    That, but with the proper circle dot reticle, not that quad Plex.

And no, not on a six second mount it’s on a slide. Running it on six second mount would be irrelevant re: durability.

There are multiple options for running a T1 pattern on a slide. RCS Balor, ATOM, Agency AOS etc.

In the early days of pistol optics, there were only serious three options: RMR, Leupold, and T1.

Before the days of enclosed pistol optics, some people thought the T1 had an advantage for finding the dot due to the “scope shadow” provided by the tube.

The problem with the T1 on a reciprocating slide is the forces break the internals of the rotating brightness adjustment knob.

However, SIG, Holosun, and PA micro pattern optics with buttons don’t have that problem.

I think I still have a T1 pattern Balor mount somewhere.

Right?!

I've had one on my work carbine for a couple of years. I like the reticle options, the battery life and it holds zero. No complaints here. I've had pretty good luck with Sig electro-optics products I've spent my money on. Sights, range finders and whatnot (edited to add Romeo Zero is garbage... but that is a different thread).

Right?!

We have a couple hundred of these in my area. A few are on less lethal launchers. Most are on M4 carbines.

These are a mix of the older 4M and then newer 4T. I can't think of any 4M failures off the top of my head. We've had one 4T that lost its center dot so that only the circle would activate. We had one with a solar panel that got cracked somehow. This didn't seem to impact overall functionality. And we had one that simply quit working all together.

Everyone wants a T2 and I'd like to be able to provide them. But within my limited budget I think the 4T is a really good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    Similar concept to the video in this thread? Video is Tactical Rifleman.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....roprism-offset
    I ordered the 5x prism and FCD parallel mount as a Christmas present for myself. I'll see how and if the concept works.

3x was my preference, being that it is a little smaller and lighter. It also has a bit more eye relief from reviews I've watched. The 3x is also $60 less expensive. With all these, I still went 5x because I think I'll prefer the ACSS Aurora reticle.

I think the idea will work although I'm curious to see how the offset optic will zero. If I have POA and POI set at 100 yards I assume impacts will be slightly left at everything from 0-100 and then slightly right after 100. How much is the question.

I’ll be interested in your results. I currently have one rifle setup with a PA 3X Micro as primary and an EPS at 45 degree offset. The left-right shift closer and farther than zero distance will be interesting. On my setup the 3x is zeroed at 200, EPS at 50, not sure how I’d zero this concept.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    I’ll be interested in your results. I currently have one rifle setup with a PA 3X Micro as primary and an EPS at 45 degree offset. The left-right shift closer and farther than zero distance will be interesting. On my setup the 3x is zeroed at 200, EPS at 50, not sure how I’d zero this concept.
    It might be possible to zero the 5x optic slightly left of POA so that windage POI stays more or less parallel to POA at all distances.

User Tag List