Thread: Tackleberry's Build

Tackleberry's Build

@Tackleberry40sw reached out to me for a EDCLB flashlight build that would be a gift to him from his wife. He gave me some some ideas of what he was looking for but left the final configuration of the light up to me so it would be a surprise.

This is what I came up with;

Build Specs

Modlite Legacy Enhanced LED-F Light Head 850 lumens | 44,000 candela

E2 18650 Body - HA Black

E2T Tailcap with Pocket Clip, Lanyard Ring & Finger Loop

Build Commentary

Since Malkoff discontinued the E2XTD head (650 lumens | 70,000 candela) the E2XT (500 lumens | 55,000 candela) is now their top E-series head model. Since this head IMO does not offer enough of a gain over the E2 Hyper Throw (500 lumens | 35,000 candela) to justify the higher price and larger size, I decided to give the Modlite head a try. Rated at 850 lumens & 44,000 candela, its reflector design provides a more uniform beam with brighter spill compared to the Malkoff heads. It also has a more pleasing neutral color temperature. This head will operate on two (2) CR123 batteries, or on a single 16650 or 18650 Li-ion cell. Since the beam pattern IMO is more useful than the E2XTD heads that I currently use, I ordered another Modlite head for myself.

This head will also work with the E1 18350 body using an Orbtronic H-IMR 18350 flat top cell, making for a very compact yet powerful EDC light.

If anyone is interested in having one of these built, contact me via PM to discuss!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I am very pleased with the flashlight @NH Shooter put together for me as well as his customer service, attention to detail, and two way flow of communication back and forth. It was a pleasure working with @NH Shooter. I will be doing a review and comparison against my Malkoff Hounddog. I will post the review and comparison here in this post.

This a brief comparison of my Mallory Devices Hounddog and my 1 of a kind (soon to be 1 of 2) EDC Light Builder flashlight.

Name:  IMG_0419.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  70.6 KB

This is both lights and the knife to show scale and size comparison.

Name:  IMG_0426.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  31.1 KB

This is the Hounddog at approximately 50 yards to the tree line.

Name:  IMG_0425.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  33.2 KB

This is the EDC (I’m naming the “Yard Dog”) 50 yards to the tree line.

Name:  IMG_0423.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  43.1 KB

This a side by side beam comparison (Hounddog on left and Yard Dog on right). The Hounddog has a larger hot spot than the Yard Dog but the YD’s hot spot is more intense. The amount of spill is very similar on both.

I appreciate everything from@NH Shooter. If anyone is on the fence or hesitating to do business with @NH Shooter, don’t. Whether it’s one of his listed flashlights or a custom put together flashlight of your listed criteria, he is the man to make it happen. Buy with confidence.

Great comparison! The last photo really tells the story: the Modlite has equally bright spill but a more intense hot spot.

IIRC, the old reflector Hound Dog was rated at 900 lumen/29.000 cd vs. 850/44,000 for the Modlite. The physical size comparison would be even more striking using the Modlite head on an E1 18350 body (expect photos of that soon). :-)
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
    I am very pleased with the flashlight @NH Shooter put together for me as well as his customer service, attention to detail, and two way flow of communication back and forth. It was a pleasure working with @NH Shooter. I will be doing a review and comparison against my Malkoff Hounddog. I will post the review and comparison here in this post.
    Thank you for your request and the opportunity to assemble this light for you!

Just a quick story:

I was at my in-law until 1200 hours today. Last night at approximately 2300 hours, we let the dogs out for their last potty run. The dogs began to bark and my in-laws' beagle's bark was not quite right. My father-in-law grabbed his Nebo "Hi powered flashlight. It barely lit up the yard and had enough spill to light up the yard. I grabbed my EDC Light Builder flashlight and illuminated to yard and well up the street and could PID whatever was making the dogs bark. My in-laws have deer, black bears, squirrels, etc. By the time I got out there and illuminated the yard, there was nothing there that I could tell. It is amazing what this small light illuminates.

It is amazing what this small light illuminates.
    Exactly!

This is a key point: most lights that are capable enough to be useful are not easy or convenient to carry. As a result the "art and technique" of the EDC flashlight is never ingrained, and never leveraged for personal safety - especially by those who don't subscribe to the EDC lifestyle.

Another true story case in point;

Our youngest daughter and her husband live in CA. One night when leaving a friend's house and walking out to their car, they noticed something by the car as they walked to it. There was just enough light to see that it ran off as they got close, but not enough to identify it. They got in the car and pulled away, only to see a black bear illuminated by the headlights.

When she told me about this incident, I was understandably upset. I gave her a Streamlight ProTac 2L-X to carry in her purse all times, explaining how she could have seen the bear and not placed herself within easy striking distance of it.

My kids think I'm a nerd and kind of laugh it off, and that is fine. I am a nerd but that will not deter me from trying to educate and advocate for the enhanced situational awareness and personal safety a powerful yet easy to carry light can provide.

My ML head arrived and it now rides on my EDC fight light (which is belt-carried with a HBC);

The Modlite head replaces the no-longer-made Malkoff E2XTD due to its more useful beam pattern (brighter spill).

Build Details

Build Commentary

This is my dedicated fight light that is optimized for a syringe grip and Rogers-Surefire technique. I really like the way this light handles and performs! The build quality of light is very high and extremely durable.

Unfortunately I cannot currently reproduce this build as the Oveready body is no longer available. Even though it states "out of stock" on their website, in conversations with them over the last year it's clear they have no immediate plans for making more. This is sadly typical of Oveready as they have a history of making short runs of unique products and then never making them again. Most likely this body is gone for good.

I have access to the engineering & manufacturing resources needed to make these bodies, which would include some tweaks to the design to fully optimize it for this build. There is no IP on this item and since it's clear Oveready is no longer going to make them, I see this as an opportunity to have them made myself. The financial commitment would be substantial, which short of taking pre-orders is enough to make me balk - at least for now.

The other issue is that unlike Malkoff and Lumens Factory, Modlite has not expressed any interest in working with me on a volume discount. The two heads shown in this thread I purchased at full retail plus shipping. To make any build using them economically viable for me to offer, that would have to be addressed as well.

Note - even though the head, body and tailcap will all "screw together" I have to modify the body and tailcap, and add a secondary contact spring to the head to make the light functional. The final product is IMO very impressive.

That body style, shape, and tail cap but in a 18650 configuration, would be right up my alley for the Rogers/Surefire style syringe grip.

That body style, shape, and tail cap but in a 18650 configuration, would be right up my alley for the Rogers/Surefire style syringe grip.
    Yup, but Oveready sucks.

I could have the E70 made too.

User Tag List