Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns of Professional Gunmen/Gunwomen

1. A S&W I-frame in 32 S&W Long with boot grips, chamfered charge holes, fattened front sight blade, and widened rear. A welder and file could make the sights happen. The smaller pocket autos at the time would not pass muster for me and Js are a bit big for pants around here in the era. Loaded with wadcutters or flat nose, whichever hit to sights using factory or handloads.

2. Ruger Speed Six with 158 grain SJHP after a brief dalliance with the 125gr SJHP. Or a S&W model 58 with bobbed hammer and unholy experiments done to settle on a compact set of stocks.

3. Mossberg 500 with a fat bead of proper height to regulate with buck/slugs. Or an Ithaca model 37 set up the same.

4. Winchester '94 with 170 grain semi-jacketed soft points and possibly a peep sight if I could get my hands on one of the svelter steel units.

5. Ruger Blackhawk, New Model, in 357 Magnum to be able to ramp from small game 38 Special loads to deer thumper magnums. Yes, I could have a DA wheelgun for this; but no, I wouldn't.

6. Pass and substitute a 058 series (here I would luck out with the straight wrist and lighter barrel profile than later variants) Handi-Rifle in 30-30 with a peep sight made to work - even if I personally had to braze things on - with 20, 16, or 12 gauge barrel, both stumpy (maybe, if I felt like dealing with the NFA to make it fit in this section). And then a 22 Hornet barrel fitted.

7. A three-pack of vetted Charter Bulldogs with bobbed hammers and 2" or 2.5" barrels. One for lazy day belt carry, one for practice, and one spare. I know me and I'd have done it.

Site Supporter

Guns of Professional Gunmen/Gunwomen

1. Smith & Wesson 37, with the hammer bobbed.
    2. AMT .45 Longslide, with laser sighting
    3. SPAS-12 12-gauge autoloader
    4. AR-180
    5. Enfield No.4 Mk1(T)
    6. Uzi 9mm
    7. Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Born in 66.

I was surprised to see so many BAR/Monitor fans. I guess I shouldn't be. I'm the guy that, coming of age in the 80s, wanted but didn't buy an AUG, a HK VP70, and that weird High Standard shotgun. Guess what, wiki says they started making it in 1967 so it goes on the list.

1. S&W 38 and 49.

2. 1911 . And a commander in 38 Super because why not. Since it says open and concealed carry, that means my S&W model 28 goes on the list elsewhere...

3. Ithaca 37 and High Standard Model 10

4. Semi: CETME/G3 . Bolt: Pre 64 model 70 in 308, to limit calibers.

5. Pre 64 model 70 in 375 H&H. 6 inch S&W model 29 . For adventures in the lower 48, 6 inch S&W model 28

6. BAR. Because BAR. To fulfill my weird quotient Stoner_63 .

7. Other. Given the time period, A professional-at-arms might have the opportunity to be professional in SE Asia or Africa. Given this, my 'other' category is sterile/deniable. Set 1, the "Tell me you're with Christians In Action without telling me" : the default setup of Browning High Power and Swedish K subgun. For other parts of the world, A Makarov, a Skorpion in 9x18 with a can, an AK-47, and, for funsies, a PPSH-41 with plenty of drums.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

It's a bad decade for semi-auto reliability but that's OK since I mostly favor revolvers anyways...

Always/NPE
    Smith and Wesson Model 38 Bodyguard. Probably a fluke of manufacture but still the most accurate small frame snub I've ever shot was one of these.

Primary defensive handgun
    Let's stick with .38 to simplify the supply chain - .38/44 Heavy Duty five-inch. Mild to (almost, but not quite) wild. The Outdoorsman is a close contender, but that extra length pushes it just a hair out of contention. Honorable mention to the Model 14 Hanen while we're at it.

Defensive Shotgun
    I understand the Auto-5's and such but there's theory and then there's practice. Back in this time, the code ain't cracked yet on reliable self-loading shotguns and won't be for decades. Remington Model 870 all the way. Partridge to Grizzly and no worries about the next shot if you do your part.

Rifle
    This is fantasy, right? US Model M-1D. Ought-Six repeater with glass. A bolt would be better for versatility in ammo loading but bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, TINK. What's not to love?

Adventuring
    Ruger Super Blackhawk, .44 Magnum, 6 1/2". As much power as you can pack on your hip and you never know when you'll need a hip held gun for holding off hippos.

NFA
    Colt Monitor or at least a BAR - putting the full ought-o in the ought-six since 1918.

Other
    .22/32 Kit Gun snub because everyone should have a plinker.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Folks:

As we approach Christmas and the end of 2023, many of us are blessed with some quiet time sometimes shared with family and friends. If that happens to describe you, may I suggest the following thought experiment: In the year of your birth, you are a professional gunman/gunwoman. You are of significant means, both financially and otherwise. You have the legal authority to carry and deploy firearms. You are keenly aware of the firearms that are available in the year of your birth. You have all of your present knowledge. You have access to the best gunsmiths of the day. You want a battery of capable firearms and have elected to find guns that fit into each of the following categories:
    1. “Always Guns”/Non-Permissive Environment Guns: These are usually typified by J frame S&W revolvers and small frame autos like the Walther PPK etc.
    2. Primary Defensive Handgun-Essentially a service size handgun that you will typically carry on a daily basis. It should be suitable for both concealed and open carry.
    3. Defensive Shotgun: Everybody needs a dose of rompin’, stompin’ death and destruction. What’s your choice?
    4. Rifle: Your top pick for what Col. Cooper called the “Queen” of Weapons.
    5. Adventuring Gun: This is a gun you might pack on a hunt, an Amazon cruise or when excavating a Pharoh’s tomb in Egypt.
    6. National Firearms Act Weapons: When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic. What is your choice?
    7. “Other”: This is a category that I haven’t figured out by that might be lots of fun.

To preserve our personal security, use a date range when listing your birth year. For me that would be between 1960 and 1965. What follows are my choices:

1. “Always Gun”: For me this would be a custom Smith and Wesson Model 42 Airweight Centennial revolver chambered in 38 Special. Since S&W was still doing custom work at the time, I would ask them to build a Model 42 with a wider front sight with corresponding rear sight notch and have the gun zeroed for 148 grain lead full charge wadcutters at 25 yards. I would ask for a smooth faced trigger and a dehorned cylinder latch. S&W’s best action job would be on my list. I would ask to have the charge holes chamfered. The gun would be finished in a brushed nickel. I would ask for an orange front sight insert. I would seek to obtain a set of stocks from a young LAPD officer named John Hurst. I would then ask S&W to build me two additional revolvers, one being an identical Airweight and the other being a steel framed model 40 (for practice purposes).

2. Primary Defensive Handgun: Having spent some time with a young marine Colonel at Big Bear Lake California, I would ask Colt to build me a custom 1911 in 45 ACP. The gun would be throated for semi wadcutter ammunition. It would have large, fixed high visibility sights and the gun would be zeroed for 230 grain full metal jacket ammunition. The action would be tuned and the gun dehorned. I would ask Colt to equip the gun with a Commander ring hammer and use a relieved Government style grip safety to reduce hammer bite. I would specify a flat mainspring housing along with a beveled magazine well. I would specify that the thumb safety be built up a bit with some welding. The front and back straps would be stippled. I would probably have the gun parkerized. I would use Colt double diamond stocks. While Colt was doing this, I would ask them to build an identical gun on a lightweight Commander frame, preferably with a full-size slide.

3. Defensive Shotgun: My choice would be Texas Ranger/British Special Air Service favorite: A Browning Auto 5 in 12 gauge. The barrel would be 18.5 inches long with a set of rifle sights. My Auto 5 would feature the later safety rather than the earlier version that was housed within the trigger guard. I would ensure that the gun was equipped with a free floating shell lifter so it could be easily topped off. The choke would be cylinder bore. I might throw in a spare 26-inch-long barrel with a ventilated rib and modified choke because sometimes you need to relax from more deadly pursuits by hunting pheasants over a great English setter. I would ask Browning to ensure that the gun had been gone over by an FN gunsmith to insure a great trigger and flawless feeding of buckshot and slugs. I would break with tradition and have a sling mounted to the gun so I could carry it cross chest.

4. Rifle: Easy. Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06 Government with a 24 inch barrel. Sights would be a combination of iron Sourdough front sight with a gold insert and a barrel mounted sight with a square notch. I would also find the latest/greatest optical sight from Germany and have that mounted. Custom action and trigger job by Winchester. Finish would be factory bet grade bluing just because.

5. Adventuring Gun: Smith and Wesson Model 29 with a custom 5-inch barrel. Stocks would also be provided by John Hurst. I would specify a best grade action, with a service size hammer and narrow, smooth service style trigger. The front sight would incorporate Elmer Keith’s elevation bars of inlaid gold. I may as well and just order a pair. One might even be engraved in case I need to attend a barbecue in Texas.

6. National Firearms Act Weapons:
    a. First Pick: My first pick would be one of the relatively new Armalite AR-15s. I would ask for the standard rifle and a pile of magazines. My connections would alert me to a short-barreled version and I would look for an extra upper with a shorty barrel.
    b. Second Pick: My sources told me of a fabulous new development from H&K called the Project 64. As much as I love a Thompson submachinegun, the ergonomics of the MP5 are way better. I would acquire one of those with both a fixed and collapsing stock and a pile of magazines. The MP5 which has set the bar for submachinegun design ever since.

7. Other: Here I would specify my European Defensive Handgun. While I may be an Ugly American, I do appreciate some of the things offered in Europe (Driven pheasant hunting, FN firearms, German Christmas stollen, Belgium beer as well Scottish whiskey and haggis). I would probably want a gun I could defend myself with when not in the Colonies. My pick would be a Browning Hi Power in 9mm. This would also be a custom gun with a built-up manual safety, high visibility fixed sights zeroed for 124 grain NATO ball, ramped and throated to feed flat nose bullets (in case I can find any or handload any), along with a feather hammer (to prevent hammer bite), a trigger job (with the abominable magazine disconnect removed), stippled front and back strap and beveled magazine well. Again, the gun would probably be parkerized. I would locate a bunch of 13 round magazines along with some of the rare FN 20 rounders. Since 38 Special would be difficult to source overseas, I would probably acquire a Walther PPK in7.65 as a pocket gun.

Those are my choices. Grab a tasty beverage, throw a log on the fire and tell us about your picks. Merry Christmas to all!

Bruce

Funny thing about Brother Bruce's list.

It is very close to what I often use these days.

#1 The J Frame. Mine being the ever present and pocketed 442.
    #2 The 1911. Shown in this pic is my old 70 Series Colt. It was used a good bit for many thigs before being rebuilt and semi-retired. Though now I carry other 1911s.
    #3 The Browning A-5. My Belgian beauty. There are much more modern guns, but I have never felt less than armed with this in my hands when things need to get handled.
    #4 Though Bruce specifies a 30-06, I roll with the .308, primarily in my Tikka T3. I really don't think you can find a more practical off the shelf 30 cal gun being built these days.
    #5 The 5" Model 29. Mine is a M29-2 I had built. Absolutely LOVE this gun. Had the trigger narrowed and serrations removed. This is perfection in a Model 29.
    #6 The AR-15, in my case, this is a Colt with an ACOG and RDO mounted on top. It handles most chores from point blank, inside a house type stuff out to hundreds of yards with relative ease.
    #7 The suppressed .22 Ruger MKII. This has been one I have had for about 25 years. I cannot count how many bricks it has had through it. Simply a fun little toy. Great for sitting in a lawn chair and popping pine cones while out in the woods and not disturbing anyone or making a bunch of noise.

These are guns I use frequently, so I found Bruce's selection quite interesting.

Now following along with the exercise, if I was going to choose something from around the time I was born (late 60s-early 70s), I would go with the following:

1 S&W Model 42 with Herrett Detective grips.
    2 Colt 5" 1911 with Bomar sights. Pinned grip safety. Wide bullseye type hammer to prevent pinching. Herrett skip line checkered grips. Flat mainspring housing. beveled magwell. Small single side tab thumb safety.
    3Browning Auto 5. Don't mess with success! Chop it to 18" and add rifle sights.
    4 Sako Forester in .308. Topped with a fixed 6X scope. Superbly accurate and really all one would need to do most jobs expected of a rifle.
    5 5" Model 29-2.
    6 NFA weapon: Cut down RPD belt fed machine gun. Worked for a number of special ops units.
    7 "Other" Suppressed .22 semi auto pistol. Maybe a cut down Colt Woodsman.

Since so many of us have chosen the A5/R11 shotgun, I thought this may be appreciated:
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Late 80s-early 90s

1) Smith and Wesson 442. It’d probably look just like the one in my pocket right now, as it’s from that era. Stocks would likely stay the original Uncle Mike’s boot grips. I don’t know what I’d do for ammo - I’d probably want full charge wadcutters or the FBI load.

2) A Colt Series 70 Government in .38 Super. Sights would be buried Bomar rear (like the Delta guns of that era) with a gold bead front. Blued, with walnut Herrett’s combat style grips, a beveled magwell, short trigger tuned for a 4lb break, flat 25 LPI mainspring housing, 25LPI checkering on the front strap, an undercut trigger guard, fit Kart match barrel, Ed Brown beavertail grip safety, commander ring hammer, and a lowered single-side safety would be the specs. The logic here is that .38 Super has enough velocity to make the hollowpoints of the era work, and I also get a few extra rounds in the gun. Leather would be from Milt Sparks because duh. A pair of Summer Specials, one for behind the hip and one straight drop, along with a 1AT for range work. I’m not up on the who’s-who of 90s smiths, but my gut says to go with Karl Sokol.

3) Remington 870 Police Magnum with 18.5” rifle sight barrel. I’d send the barrel out to some guy named Hans Vang. In a perfect world, a custom set of sights would be added: a large gold bead front with a pistol rear, perhaps .150” in width. I’d likely stay with the original wood furniture, though the stock would be chopped to 12.5” and the butt pad would have an angle cut towards the top for faster shouldering. In a few years I’d hopefully have the good sense to pick up one of those fancy new Laser Products forends. I’d have the gun parkerized if it didn’t already come that way.

4) Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum. I’d have a Leupold 2.5x mounted.

5) Smith and Wesson Model 27 with 5” barrel. I’d add a set of Herrett’s Roper stocks sized to my hand and have the trigger swapped for a narrow one with the grooves removed. A decent action job, a press, and a steady supply of primers and Alliant 2400 would top things off. Sights would remain as is: black on black. More Sparks leather here: the 200AW, ideally in both cross draw and strong side.

6) The NFA item would be a registered auto sear for the HK 9X family. As time and budget allows, a 94, 93, and 91 would be all be added. Add a claw mount and an Aimpoint 2000 for each rifle, which I would hopefully have the good sense to upgrade to a 5000 in a few years.

7) I think where I’d land would be a West German P226 and a pile of mags, given what’s on the horizon in a few years. Honorable mention goes to a 2.5” Smith Model 19, dressed with Herrett’s Shooting Stars and perhaps with a gold bead added.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Honorable mention to the Model 14 Hanen...
    Oh hell... is there still time to change my mod 15 vote?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

This is an interesting and fun thread. I wish more of you would announce your years.

I was born in 1945. I was interested in guns early because of all the westerns on TV through the 50s. I was all about cars through the 60s and started becoming seriously interested in guns around 1970 or a little before. Most of you don't realize how few choices we had back then. There was very little written about handguns in the gun magazines. This was pre-internet. Lots of hunting rifles and shotguns.

Pistol competitions at the time were Bullseye or PPC for LEO only. Nothing else except in very rare occasions.

Shooters today are very fortunate in what is available to them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    [Photos of flintlocks]
    Much obliged for a good laugh after a long day.

User Tag List