Thread: Guns of Professional Gunmen/Gunwomen

Born in 1982

1 - S&W Model 49
    2 - Colt Pachmayr Combat Special 1911
    3 - Remington 870 police magnum
    4 - 50.63 FN FAL
    5 - S&W Model 25 4 inch 45 LC
    6 - H&K MP-5 or Steyr AUG
    7 - All of the S&W revolvers that I wish my dad had bought instead of a boat...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

In thinking about this I came to the realization thats id probably use pretty much what I still have or use.

Late 50s-early 60s period

1. “Always Guns”/Non-Permissive Environment Guns:

Colt Agent or Cobra.

2. Primary Defensive Handgun-Essentially a service size handgun that you will typically carry on a daily basis. It should be suitable for both concealed and open carry.

S&W model 19 4"

3. Defensive Shotgun:

Im not much of a shotgun guy, Ill trade this slot for a rebarreled Winchester 92 in 44 magnum caliber, barrel cut to 16 1/2", Lyman 56 receiver sight, sling.

4. Rifle:

Nicely sporterized 1903 Springfield with Weaver K-4 glass, probably Bueler mounts with Lyman receiver sight set up, zero-ed, then the slide stashed under the butt pad, sourdough blade front. 22"

5. Adventuring Gun: This may require an 1886 carbine in 45-70 and heavy handloads and a Winchester 94 early type carbine or special order short rifle. Both with Lyman 56 receiver sights and sourdough blade front sights, slings. A Smith model 29 4" would also be in the category.

6. National Firearms Act Weapons: Toss up between a 1921 Thompson or Colt SAA pistol carbine, 9-12" barrel with shoulder stock and carbine type sight.

7. “Other”: An S&W K-22 has to be in here somewhere for general practice and small game hunting, and probably a Marlin 39 22 rifle. A scoped bolt action 22 rifle is also pretty handy and good practice. Id be hard pressed to excuse a Colt SAA 4 3/4" 44 spl or 45 from the lineup, it could be in the adventure or defensive/carry category.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    !950's era here.

Bruce, I have your Number 4 in my possession now. It's a pre-1964 Winchester Super Grade in 30-06. I snagged a old "period-correct" set of gear for it. A Weaver K-4 scope made in El Paso, Bucheimer hand-tools leather case and a matching cobra sling.

I will have to send you some pics.

Please say hello to your son for me. It was great to meet both of you at Revolver Roundup. I hope you and yours have a safe and Merry Christmas!
    Serious Student:

I will happily pass the word to my son. We should see him tomorrow after he clears work. Likewise, I hope you have a great Christmas as well.

I have a thing for Model 70s. The gentleman who taught me how to handload served in Uncle Sam's Misguided Children in the Pacific as a sniper. His influence was what drove me to the Model 70. That said, pre-64 Model 70s, especially the Supergrade guns are a whole 'nother world of cool. I would love to see yours, especially with the period correct gear.

Hopefully I'll see you at next year's Roundup. We'll need to break bread or have an adult beverage by a campfire and discuss the merits of Model 70s!

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

For all you Colt Monitor fans. The Cutts compensator was almost too efficient. Good video at the end of video.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Being from the late 80’s.

1. “Always Guns”/Non-Permissive Environment Guns: S&W J-Frame
    2. Primary Defensive Handgun: Glock 17
    3. Defensive Shotgun: Mossberg 500
    4. Rifle: Colt AR15-A2
    5. Adventuring Gun: Winchester model 70 chambered in 30-06.
    6. National Firearms Act Weapons: Stoner 63 in Commando configuration.
    7. “Other”: M134 - if I’m going into the professional world and a Stoner 63 can’t do it this will.

This was fun!
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

5. Adventuring Gun: This may require an 1886 carbine in 45-70 and heavy handloads and a Winchester 94 early type carbine or special order short rifle. Both with Lyman 56 receiver sights and sourdough blade front sights, slings. A Smith model 29 4" would also be in the category.
    I was going to put an 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 on my list but my minimal research couldn't tell me if it would have been available at the time. I remember really wanting one at the time when they reintroduced them.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Site Supporter
    1982:

1. Always Gun: 2in Colt Detective Special, probably a 3rd Series.

2. Primary Defensive Handgun: Beretta 92SB or a Colt Gov't model 1911 that Mr. Pachmayr worked his magic on, in .45 ACP of course. Honorable mention for an HK P7 PSP!
    Given the concealment holsters and methods common of that era, I might have to stick to a 1911 or HK P7. I probably wouldn't be able to effectively conceal a full size 92 without a custom AIWB holster of some kind.

3. Defensive Shotgun: Benelli M1 121 Tactical - 7rnd semiauto 12ga with rifle sights and a cyl bore choke, these things kick like crazy but they were way ahead of their time! Given the timeframe, most likely it'd be an HK import with wood furniture. So long as the recoil system could accommodate it with a sensible LOP, I'd probably have a stockmaker trim the stock down and add a recoil pad, as unsightly as the available ones were back then.

4. Rifle: Steyr SSG-69 in 7.62 NATO, likely with a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 or similar scope.

5. Adventuring Gun: A factory 5in S&W 29-2 with Herretts, possibly made by Steve Herrett himself given the timeframe. Smooth trigger and a nice action job of course! For a long gun, a Pre-64 Win model 70 in .375 H&H.

6. National Firearms Act Weapons: Tough call - MP5SD3, HK G3K, or FNC Carbine if I could get anything that new and exotic at the time. Otherwise, a Colt 653, Ruger AC-556K, or M3A1 Grease Gun with a MAC or Ceiner suppressor would serve well!

7. “Other”: An integrally suppressed Ruger MKI or similar .22LR, perhaps one of the MAC MKI's but with the suppressor modified to be serviceable.
    Last edited by JRB; 12-24-2023 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    1. Smith & Wesson 37, with the hammer bobbed.
    2. AMT .45 Longslide, with laser sighting
    3. SPAS-12 12-gauge autoloader
    4. AR-180
    5. Enfield No.4 Mk1(T)
    6. Uzi 9mm
    7. Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range
    Hey, just what you see, pal!

Funny enough, I was going to put that as my #7 (I see you did more than one), but then remembered I needed a spot for a .44 magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

3. Defensive Shotgun: Benelli M1 121 Tactical - 7rnd semiauto 12ga with rifle sights and a cyl bore choke, these things kick like crazy but they were way ahead of their time! Given the timeframe, most likely it'd be an HK import with wood furniture. So long as the recoil system could accommodate it with a sensible LOP, I'd probably have a stockmaker trim the stock down and add a recoil pad, as unsightly as the available ones were back then.
    You're correct that they let you know when they go off! Supposedly the fastest cycling semi-auto shotgun. I have a Decelerator pad inbound for mine. Won't have to cut the stock as I wear 37" sleeve dress shirts. The thing smokes clays from the 16 yard line like they're deadly foes. (Not my picture)

Name:  Benelli.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  18.6 KB
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

1960ish

1+2 Defensive handgunnery- BHP with as close to a Novak massage as I could get on it. I have carried mine under a tucked in button up shirt in NPE circumstances, but I’m a large mammal.

3 Defensive shotgunnery- Winchester Model 12 20” IC choke, solid rib barrel with ivory front bead. 6+1 capacity and the ability to go slam fire if needed. The M-12’s takedown feature means it can travel well too.

4 + 5 Rifle- Type A Mauser in 9.3x62 with a 4x scope in claw mounts

6 NFA- Odd, I really can’t think of anything

7 Other- Winchester Model 21 SxS in 28” 12ga for hunting when you need to look like a gentleman.

User Tag List