Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Guns of Professional Gunmen/Gunwomen

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post

Hope that clarifies things a bit. What are your choices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    #1 Walther TPH (introduced in 1968, like me…)

#2 S&W model 15 combat masterpiece (the sights would let me take advantage of Lee Jurras’ new “Super Vel” 110gr JHPs)

#3 Ithaca Model 37 Deer Slayer Police
    Special (the rifle sighted riot gun )

#4 Marlin 336 carbine in 35 Remington

#5 pre-64 70 African Super Grade in 458 Winchester

#6 RPK with 75-round drum

#7 Ruger flatgate single-six
    I already mentioned Super Vel 110-grainers at well over 1100fps from something like a 4” 15 (or 14).

For the TPH and Single-Six, I note that CCI mini-mags were a thing by 1963. Simple.

For the mod 37, anyone’s OO buck would do.

For the 336, any of the 200gr soft points around in the late 60s are fine, although, it seems apropos to look at Remington’s own Core-lokt version.

For the 70 African, gonna have to go with the original 510gr soft point loading by Winchester (ouch!).

RPK? The lacquered steel case stuff (57-N-231SL) came along in the early 60s, so no reason to swim upstream there, either.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I really like @Totem Polar and @TGS’s lists, and will use some of their ideas. @TGS - two or three P7M8s (or the P7 original) was my first thought for the primary pistol, but I’m too old - it wasn’t introduced yet.

So -
    1-Always - airweight J ordered with a wider front sight than the skinny thing that they came with when I was born. 37 with a bobbed hammer spur or a 38 Bodyguard would work. Understudy/more shooting done with a Model 60 ordered with the same front sight and bobbed hammer spur, and to be belt carried IWB when needed.
    2-The Model 15, a la Totem Polar, is never a bad choice, but I might hedge here and go with a Model 19 2.5” round butt. Either of those would be fine.
    3-Either of those shotguns - the 870 or the Ithaca 37 - would be fine, too, but I’d probably lean to the Ithaca.
    4-I really like the custom Mauser 98 idea, but would probably choose a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in .270 Winchester, much like I already have.
    5-to pack along on a hunt, my adventuring gun would be a 5” Ruger Blackhawk Flattop either in .44 Magnum or a .357 converted to .44 Special.
    6-NFA - Colt AR15 that I was issued in my first Army NG unit. Basically an M16A1, but marked “Colt AR15”.
    7-Other would be two things: an Ithaca 37 Featherlight Skeet in 16 or 12. Gotta hunt birds and bust clays; and a S&W M18, because .22 revolvers are a thing.
    Late 60s/early 70s - Gen X.

1 - 2” .38 - Wadcutters for the carry load, probably 130gr FMJ for speed strips. Wadcutters for admin reload, FMJ for “speed” reloads.
    2 - 2.5”-4” K frame - Factory .38 Special 158gr LSWCHP for most things. 125gr semi jacketed hollow points would also be useful. One of the advantages of the K frame with adjustable sights, especially if it is a .357, is the versatility available in the ammunition, even back then. I have reloading manuals from the era with a plethora of useful loads in various bullet designs and weights.
    3 - 00 buck, and slugs. Repeat as needed.
    4 - a variety of loads, as needed. One of the advantages, again, of using such a rifle and cartridge is the versatility available by changing ammunition. I originally said .270 Winchester, and I am happy with that choice. But I would likely be just as happy with a 7mm Mauser or .30-06, when judicious load choices are applied.
    5 - A mix of mild and warm .44 Special loads, much as I load and use now.
    6 - 55gr 5.56 FMJ service ammunition. Lots of it, lots of magazines. Nothing exotic needed - hunting would be done with the Model 70. If i needed to hunt with a .22 centerfire, I would grab a .22 Hornet bolt action and use that.
    7 - 4, 6, and 7.5-8 shot game loads for the various small game with the shotgun. Match .22 for accuracy applications, Mini Mags for hunting applications with the .22 revolver. Stack up a bunch of factory game loads for the shotgun and both types of .22LR \ for the revolver. Try to wear both out.

Hmmmm.

Smith model 36, or Colt dick special.
    A Colt commander, 45acp. If unavailable, a Smith 4" model 10.
    Winchester model 12, 16 gauge.
    The M1a-M14. <OR> Winchester model 94.
    The Savage 99, in 300-Savage.
    The Grail....Browning Hi Power, with detachable stock.
    NFA> A Thompson M1928-A1
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Things were a little limited back then. A lot of the ammo choices and cartridges didn't exist back when I was born.
    Ammo choices added and emphasized (though I did do it for one). AFAIK, JHP handgun bullets didn't exist. Additional thoughts are underlined.

1. Colt Agent with hammer shroud. Wadcutters.
    2. S&W Model 1950 Military in .44 Special, 4", with SWC gas-checked loads ~ 1,000 FPS. There was a young cop in Texas back in the day who might have had some recommendations.
    3. Browning Auto-5 in either 12 gauge or 16 gauge. 00 Buckshot.
    4. Sporterized 1903A3 with Williams peepsight. I'd unscrew the aperture for shorter ranges to make it more of a ghost-ring. Might go to the leading edge and put on a Weaver K-4. 150-grn soft-nosed cartridges.
    5. S&W .357 Magnum 5". Hard-cast SWC Keith-type. With the kind of money available (per the OP's parameters), there may have been some custom loaders making interesting stuff.
    6. Suomi KP-31. SMG-power ball ammo.
    7. Dunno. 20mm antitank rifle?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

My birth year was 1964, so I have some decent choices.

1) Colt Agent or Cobra with hammer shroud

2) A Gaylord “Metropolitan Special” - a Colt Police Positive in 38sp with a 3” barrel, a birdshead grip, and a couple of other tweaks.

3) Same as Bruce - a slightly altered Browning A5 set up the same way as he wrote.

4) Krag 30-40 carbine sporterized. It would be cut down to a 19” barrel, the stock would have a LOP of 13”, have a ghost ring rear sight, and the rest of the wood would be trimmed as much as possible to get it as sleek as possible. That would be a great do-it-all rifle that would not beat you up, but could take any North American game with only Moose and Brown Bear as the exceptions. And it just may be I have this exact rifle in my safe right now……

5) Colt or S&W 1917 in 45acp - if we are looking for an adventuring gun, then there is nothing more adventure-y than Indiana Jones’ sidearm

6) Sterling submachine gun in 9mm - I got to run one in a Chuck Taylor class for an entire day in 1985. Great gun, easy to shoot, and I have no idea why it does not get more chat in the gun community.

7) Classic double rifle in 9.3x74r - because it would be cool to have a safari rifle

I could also argue (with myself) to have a good .22lr rifle rather than the double
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Late 60s/early 70s - Gen X.

1 - 2” .38 - Wadcutters for the carry load, probably 130gr FMJ for speed strips. Wadcutters for admin reload, FMJ for “speed” reloads.
    2 - 2.5”-4” K frame - Factory .38 Special 158gr LSWCHP for most things. 125gr semi jacketed hollow points would also be useful. One of the advantages of the K frame with adjustable sights, especially if it is a .357, is the versatility available in the ammunition, even back then. I have reloading manuals from the era with a plethora of useful loads in various bullet designs and weights.

... and both types of .22LR \ for the revolver. Try to wear both out.

I dont recall seeing the 130 gr fmj jacket loads commercially available until some time in the 80s to 90s. I was baffled when i did start seeing them for sale, most people used various jacketed hollowpoints or lead wadcutters, RN or SWC bullets for general practice shooting or carry, the 130 gr was considered one of the wimpier loads ever made, and the odd choice of the Air Force and possibly other .mil users, but seems to have taken off in recent years.

Ive tried wearing out the K-22, something over 200K, possibly closing in on 300K, and its still perking along with no work other than replacing a lost thumbpiece nut. Ill keep working on it, I may be able to wear it out some day.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I dont recall seeing the 130 gr fmj jacket loads commercially available until some time in the 80s to 90s. I was baffled when i did start seeing them for sale, most people used various jacketed hollowpoints or lead wadcutters, RN or SWC bullets for general practice shooting or carry, the 130 gr was considered one of the wimpier loads ever made, and the odd choice of the Air Force and possibly other .mil users, but seems to have taken off in recent years.

Ive tried wearing out the K-22, something over 200K, possibly closing in on 300K, and its still perking along with no work other than replacing a lost thumbpiece nut. Ill keep working on it, I may be able to wear it out some day.
    My understanding is that M41 ball came out in the mid-fifties, and that just like other military ball ammunition, it was not rare nor hard to source for my hypothetical self transported back to the late sixties/early seventies. After stepping through the time portal, should that not prove to be the case, I would have other options, as .38 Special was the single most popular centerfire handgun cartridge in the US at the time.

I have an S&W 18 no dash from the fifties. It runs like a brand new gun, and I cannot imagine wearing it out. Doesn’t mean that I won’t try!

User Tag List