Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Empirically Choosing Optic Color

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yeah, not 100% sure, but if I come across anything either way, will post back.

My wife pointed out my upcoming cataract surgery, and whether it may / may not affect my vision, so I decided to pump the brakes on picking up another optic at this time. Thanks all, I do appreciate all the inputs.
    FYI, my wife had cataracts removed and chose the same lens for both eyes (vs 1 near/1far), and she went for close vision (she has always been nearsighted). Post surgery she was 20/20 for the first time in her life. YMMV, but everyone I've talked to said their vision was waaay better post-surgery, although most choose distance vision implants and reading glasses.

As far as dot color goes, you are overthinking this.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Deteriorating vision is a cross I have to bear, and one component of that has been a shift in my color perception over time. Right now, I pick up a green fiber optic front sight much quicker than a red one, and a brass or white bead quicker than a red one. With optics, there is not much to choose between the two dots, though the reds appear a bit less intense and I tend to lose the green dot against some of mother nature's background during the growing season.

I have been diagnosed with a degree of "male colorblindness," probably via my maternal grandfather but not as severe (his world was basically seen as "gray" tones... and he never made the switch to a color television). Traffic lights are no problem, nor is going into a store, but there are subtleties I will not pick up under some conditions.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I don't think there is an empirical method of choosing dot color at the moment. There are simply too many variables. You have to use trial and error to see what works for you. I even brought some optics to my optometrist (a very patient lady who knows what I do for a living) to try to get her input. The answer, like with so many things, is "it depends."

On an indoor range with controlled lighting I love the 2.5 moa Leupold DPP. Take it outside on a bright day at noon and I hate it.

If it is nice overcast day outside I pick-up a green dot well. Now put that same green dot in low-light and add a Surefire X300 Ultra and it becomes hard to pick-up for me. My other issue with the green is that it seems to leave an "illusionary palinopsia" (ghost image) behind for me.

Smaller moa red dots may take up less of the target at distance, but I find myself having to turn them up which forces bloom. This becomes especially an issue at night with a WML or at high noon in direct sun.

That's the the thing. If it is a dedicated range gun that will only be shot in Carry Optics during only certain conditions one thing may work really well. If it is a carry gun or duty gun that will see a wide range of lighting conditions something else entirely may be appropriate.

After playing with dozens of dots in the last nine years and trying my best to be scientific about it I have come to the conclusion that for me a red dot about 6-9 moa seems to work best under all conditions. I have the least issue picking it up at noon on a sunny day, an overcast day, or in complete darkness turning on a bright light or peering from bright daylight down a dark hallway or vice versa. Optics like the Trijicon RM07 Type 2 seems to work best for me under the widest range of conditions (although the SIG Romeo1Pro 6moa still has the cleanest glass to me). The runner up position goes to the Aimpoint Acro. I think the tube it's in provides enough shade for it to be useable under a pretty wide range of conditions even though it's only a 3.25 moa dot.

That's a lot to say you're going to have to experiment and just say you have to find what works best for you based upon your use parameters.

User Tag List