Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Empirically Choosing Optic Color

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Would you need two of the same gun, with the same optic, but with different color reticles to perform a good test?
    That would probably be best, but my budget doesn't allow, unfortunately.

Appreciate all the good input so far. My set of FO rods arrives this week, and I have worked out a way to attach them to the top of the slide of my P365 Macro Frankengun. Looks like it will hold for a few draw strokes. I have a mockup USPSA A Zone/4" Circle printed, and lined out my garage at 7 yards more or less, to do dry versions of the Gabe White tests.

I figure even if evaluating optic color is a total bust, I'll still get some decent Dry Practice in and doing this will help kick-start my 2024 Performance Logbook with some baseline numbers. So it's not a total waste of time, at least.

I did want to add, and it shows what kind of person is on p-f: I've had an offer of an optic or two already via PM, from folks who wanted to just send me one to try. THANK YOU very much. You know who you are; and I genuinely appreciate it, but I want to give this a try on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I need some advice before I go down a very deep rabbit hole...What is the best (read: cheapest) way to empirically choose an optic color?
    For my eyes, when distant traffic lights are viewed from the top of a high-rise building, green is marginally superior.

That's about as thrifty a test as I can offer.

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    For my eyes, when distant traffic lights are viewed from the top of a high-rise building, green is marginally superior.

That's about as thrifty a test as I can offer.

Duces
    That is an outstanding idea.

It has always been my general understanding that a green dot will draw more battery than a red dot? Is this a fact or myth?
    Anyway, this is why I have never seriously considered straying, for what is probably a minor difference or slight (potential) advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    It has always been my general understanding that a green dot will draw more battery than a red dot? Is this a fact or myth?
    Anyway, this is why I have never seriously considered straying, for what is probably a minor difference or slight (potential) advantage.
    It was a fact... Something about more energy needed to produce green light waves vs red, I believe. I imagine technological improvements will help bridge the gap eventually.

First off yes, IMHO you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Second as some others have mentioned FO and actual dot may not be apples to apples. Thirdly, just check out the same optic in red and green and see which looks better to you. I have stayed with red because green is only marginally crisper for me and I don't want the green dot on green background thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The last time I looked at power vs. applied voltage/current charts, a green LED would consumed more Wattage than red per unit Amps, which would confirm a green LED draws a batteries Ah down quicker than red. I just can't my finger on it at the moment.

tl;dr: I believe you are correct.

Right! Who had the "Rich is overthinking things again" Bingo square? @MVS I think?

So the package of 0.060 LED rods (about 6" each) arrived via the purple truck. I grabbed the green and red rods and started comparing them on my desk.

Name:  IMG_3572.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  55.9 KB

I then walked around house with them; white (ok, gray) walls, dark wood cabinets, green grass, green trees, carpet, tile, TV, my SO, the dog; I got a good cross section of how both colors looked.

And you know, green kinda was not bad. Oddly, I saw it very clearly better against grass, and my pine trees, which I thought was weird. Better against carpet, so so against dark wood. Against a person / dog, yes, green slightly better.

My wife asked me if I had astigmatism, and I've never thought about it, but maybe I do. She said she definitely saw a "halo" with the red, and the green much more clearly. I think I do have some, but maybe not as much.

So! Looks like green is the answer for the next optic. Appreciate all the input, it was an interesting thought experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The last time I looked at power vs. applied voltage/current charts, a green LED would consumed more Wattage than red per unit Amps, which would confirm a green LED draws a batteries Ah down quicker than red. I just can't my finger on it at the moment.

tl;dr: I believe you are correct.
    I recall green being more power intensive with visible lasers, but not sure about red dot optics. I also seem to recall that Holosun discontinued the red SCS models in favor of green, for better battery efficiency?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I recall green being more power intensive with visible lasers, but not sure about red dot optics. I also seem to recall that Holosun discontinued the red SCS models in favor of green, for better battery efficiency?
    Yeah, not 100% sure, but if I come across anything either way, will post back.

My wife pointed out my upcoming cataract surgery, and whether it may / may not affect my vision, so I decided to pump the brakes on picking up another optic at this time. Thanks all, I do appreciate all the inputs.

User Tag List