Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaboom this afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Wow, glad she is ok. That is scary.

I had one in a p320 but not near as catastrophic.

Thank you for sharing. All the other ones I’ve seen reported are reloads. The fact that it happened with factory ammo is scary because there’s nothing you could’ve done to prevent it.
    Covid had us buying "factory" brands of 9mm we would normally never look twice at.

If I could plant a tree in the back yard that grew Lawman 124, I would be very happy.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Covid had us buying "factory" brands of 9mm we would normally never look twice at.
    I still have ZQI laid down from Sandy Hook. I subscribe to my accountant's theory of FILO (first in, last out).

That was a hell of a handgun kaboom, thank God she is ok. I’ve been around a few kabooms, two myself. But never one that caused that much damage. I’m not familiar with that ammo, was it foreign made or US. The vast majority of my training ammo is my own reloads, never any issues with them.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, but relieved Charlie wasn't seriously hurt.

LOTS of message traffic about ZincPoint ammo causing kB!'s in both pistols and rifles around 14 months ago- it was a well known issue and there are a number of video accounts of their victims still on YT.

One example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZL_GFujHRQ

I had a chance to buy some of it for a cheap price. Glad I passed, and glad she wasn't hurt too badly. I've never had a gun blow up on me, yet.

Holy crap I am so sorry to hear. Glad there was not more serious injury, that can't have been any fun, at all. Best wishes for a full and complete recovery for you both.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If a brand is dangerous, it's always dangerous. Buying sketchy ammo because you can't get good ammo is irrational.

Glad your wife didn't suffer more than she did.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

GLad she's OK. Thanks for warning the rest of us!

Thank you for sharing this and I'm really glad she's OK.
    The photos really reinforce how catastrophic this can be.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    All the other ones I’ve seen reported are reloads. The fact that it happened with factory ammo is scary because there’s nothing you could’ve done to prevent it.
    I blew up a Glock 21 back in the 90's with a double charged handload. It bulged my slide and barrel, split my grip frame, blew out the magazine and blew the plastic off the trigger. I was fortunate that I only had sooty hands and a numb trigger finger.
    Completely my fault. One second of focused inattention while handloading...NEVER happened again, and Glock replaced my gun even though I told them it was my fault.

I shoot very little factory ammo, maybe 2-3% factory handgun...
    I've never seen Zinc Point ammo before but will certainly remember the name now.

Good cautionary tale and appreciate you letting us know.
    And again, I'm truly glad she's OK.

"All the other ones I’ve seen reported are reloads."

Some years ago the range was selling cheap ammo. I don't remember the brand, but it was professionally done, i.e. the box had a glitzy print job, not a stick on label, etc, etc. The first few shots were bang, bang, pffft, bang, pffft, BANG!. It was obvious the powder charges varied a lot. So I tend to treat 'brand I've never heard of' kind of like 'other people's reloads'.

I tossed it. I don't recall exactly, but 'cheap' meant maybe 75% of name brand. Not much savings relative to the price of a gun and trip to the doctor.

GJM: glad she's OK, and thanks for posting the warning.

User Tag List