Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaboom this afternoon

Kaboom this afternoon

My wife and I shot a match this morning, and decided to hit the range this afternoon, as heavy rain is forecast tomorrow.

Lawman 124 is our primary factory 9mm ammo, with PMC 124 as our number two choice. Back during Covid, we bought a fair amount of ammo we normally wouldn't touch, and my wife recently suggested that we shoot that stuff up, to get rid of it. In the past week, we shot Norma 124 which was great, Southern Munitions 124 which was too lightly loaded for our taste, and today broke open a case of Zinc Point.

My wife was shooting one of her practice guns, which was a Gray Guns 4.7 Lockwood upper, Romeo 3XL and a custom tungsten grip module, with a Custom Works FCU. Her first target had some holes that looked like the bullets were tumbling, so I suggested she shoot a group on the head of a target. On the third shot, her gun blew up. Her hands were blackened, she had some small blood specs on her face, the Romeo lens was shattered, the tungsten grip module trashed, extractor blown out of the upper, and the case welded to the chambers, minus the rear of the case.

Here are some pictures.

Name:  IMG_6274.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6285.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6280.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6283.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6276.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6277.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  96.0 KB

A Google search shows many similar stories from Zinc Point, and I believe they are now out of business. The irony is we probably paid $600/1000 for this crap. We will need to bury 900 rounds of this stuff so no one else blows their pistols up with it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Glad she wasn’t seriously injured!

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    Glad she wasn’t seriously injured!
    This for sure
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

That'll wake you up.

Glad everything/everyone is okay.

It would be a shame to waste all that ammo. Don't you have a brother-in-law you can gift it to?

Site Supporter
    Glad she was not seriously injured. The one kaboom I witnessed resulted in a trip to the hospital with plastic in the hand of the shooter.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Wow, glad to hear she’s ok. I’ve never heard of Zinc ammo before.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Lucky no one got hurt. I've seen a few exploded guns over the years and that's about the same example of what happens. Glad only her hands got burned with the powder and no blood. God Bless and Good Shooting.

Sorry, double post
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Very, very glad no one-she, you bystanders- were injured.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Wow, glad she is ok. That is scary.

I had one in a p320 but not near as catastrophic.

Thank you for sharing. All the other ones I’ve seen reported are reloads. The fact that it happened with factory ammo is scary because there’s nothing you could’ve done to prevent it.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

User Tag List