Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Current State of the Entry-Level/First AR Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    who makes a well-gassed 11.5" upper for a reasonable price?

Eventually would like to replace my cheaper SBR uppers for something that wont' need an adjustable BCG, but not in a rush.

Also just might get a couple BRT gas tubes as the uppers are basically good enough for my purposes as long as they feed/fire/extract suppressed and unsuppressed.
    This is what I have on my HD SBR. Works well both suppressed and unsuppressed. Green Mountain probably makes some of the 11.5's you can buy from other sources.

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/GMRBIt...1-6723e893d5ea

ETA: I use an H2 buffer and .223 TAP Urban and ARMSCOR .223 55gr. for range.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Did I miss where he actually handled or shot the thing?

Even though it was largely a mocking of their advertising, a couple things I agree with - G doesn't match upper and lower colors for shit, although to be fair, they warn you of that. Additionally, that pistol grip looks to be an awful design.

Although I'm not a fan of the B5 SOPNOD, a lot of folks are.

I would ditch the sling and qd swivels and instead include an ambi-safety, pretty sure cost wise it be a wash. The ambi-safety is something the entry level user isn't likely to be able to do themselves, OTOH, anyone can attach QD swivels to a sling and rifle.

All in all this video is a perfect example of how youtube videos often give folks more exposure than they warrant.
    I don’t care about color matching, it’s irrelevant.

Name:  IMG_4260.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  46.4 KB

Stocks and safeties are etc are easily changed.

The format is satire, which is appropriate. Whether you like the format or not the analysis of the rifle is accurate.

You’re missing the point. Gun companies exist to make money not guns. I get that. But you can still make money while providing honest value.

Whether, it’s Colt, FN, or Geissele, buying cheap, low quality, third party parts, assembling them into a rifle with a market value of $500, and then selling that rifle for over $1000 to people who don’t know any better and think they are getting a genuine Colt, FN, or Geissele product may be legal but is is morally and ethically deficient.

At least Colt gave people an actual Colt barrel with their rebranded Anderson AR.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don’t care about color matching, it’s irrelevant.

Name:  IMG_4260.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  46.4 KB

Stocks and safeties are etc are easily changed.

The format is satire, which is appropriate. Whether you like the format or not the analysis of the rifle is accurate.

You’re missing the point. Gun companies exist to make money not guns. I get that. But you can still make money while providing honest value.

Whether, it’s Colt, FN, or Geissele, buying cheap, low quality, third party parts, assembling them into a rifle with a market value of $500, and then selling that rifle for over $1000 to people who don’t know any better and think they are getting a genuine Colt, FN, or Geissele product may be legal but is is morally and ethically deficient.

At least Colt gave people an actual Colt barrel with their rebranded Anderson AR.
    Color matching must matter because your guy mentioned it.

I think you missed the point of my comments. The guy made a youtube video roasting the ALG Rifle by mocking their advertising giving no indications whatsoever that he had even handled or fired the rifle.

He didn't answer even basic questions about how it grouped, whether it was overfassed or under gassed, etc.

You remark buying cheap, low quality, third party parts - I question how you know that because aside from the sling and the red dot (which are low budget) the ad pretty much lists the mfg/materials/specs of every part except the barrel and receiver extension.

I'll bet the video guy could have found out about the barrel and the RE if he had asked ALG or G - they would probably have told him whether it was sourced from another place or made by G.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not standing in line to buy one, I just like a little more valid info before I call something a piece of shit.

Oh. and pretty sure the manufacturer's address of ALG Defense, North Wales, PA on the receiver and the huge, garish ALG Defense logo on the mag well ought to be a clue this isn't a genuine G Super Duty.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Color matching must matter because your guy mentioned it.

I think you missed the point of my comments. The guy made a youtube video roasting the ALG Rifle by mocking their advertising giving no indications whatsoever that he had even handled or fired the rifle.

He didn't answer even basic questions about how it grouped, whether it was overfassed or under gassed, etc.

You remark buying cheap, low quality, third party parts - I question how you know that because aside from the sling and the red dot (which are low budget) the ad pretty much lists the mfg/materials/specs of every part except the barrel and receiver extension.

I'll bet the video guy could have found out about the barrel and the RE if he had asked ALG or G - they would probably have told him whether it was sourced from another place or made by G.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not standing in line to buy one, I just like a little more valid info before I call something a piece of shit.

Oh. and pretty sure the manufacturer's address of ALG Defense, North Wales, PA on the receiver and the huge, garish ALG Defense logo on the mag well ought to be a clue this isn't a genuine G Super Duty.
    Are you fixated on the video -or are you fixated on something else?

ALG is just an alternative brand for Geissele - it’s Bill Geissele’s wife’s “company” ( on paper).

ALG’s actual function was two fold:

1) Provide a company that, at least on paper, is a woman / minority owned company to provide an edge in competing for government contracts; and
    2) Provide a brand to market cheaper products under in order to maintain “Geissele” as a premium brand.

The former is common in the Gov contracting world. The latter was ok until Geissele decided they were too good to be bothered with high value/ reasonably priced products. Now that the gun market is soft it seems they want those customers back, but they don’t want to provide the value they previously provided.

The linked video was an example- not my sole source of information on the rifle, but an obvious discrepancy is that Geissele’s in house barrels are all CHF - where as the “El Jefe” barrel is not.

@HCM is correct. The Jefe hits the same spot in the catalog as the previous Super Duty LE.

The youtube video previously posted is not at all useful.

The W&S sight is not viable for serious work, but will be handy to swap over to sim guns.

I wonder what will ship over time. Over the few years the Super Duty LE was available, I saw them come with several different handguards (mostly V3X but some Mk14 and 16), ALG and QMS triggers, magpul and B5 stocks, with and without BUIS, ambi and standard posi selectors, GI charging handles but a GA as well once, barrels were always GTG with some outstanding. The customer was never shorted for the price point, and sometimes really made out for the $750-825(?) they sold for. It wouldn't surprise me if this happens again as component supplies vary.

Gov price for the Jefes is under a grand and they ship fast.

I'll update.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    @HCM is correct. The Jefe hits the same spot in the catalog as the previous Super Duty LE.

The W&S sight is not viable for serious work, but will be handy to swap over to sim guns.

I wonder what will ship over time. Over the few years the Super Duty LE was available, I saw them come with several different handguards (mostly V3X but some Mk14 and 16), ALG and QMS triggers, magpul and B5 stocks, with and without BUIS, ambi and standard posi selectors, GI charging handles but a GA as well once, barrels were always GTG with some outstanding. The customer was never shorted for the price point, and sometimes really made out for the $750-825(?) they sold for. It wouldn't surprise me if this happens again as component supplies vary.

I'll update.
    Actually that is NOT what I sad.

That’s the impression Geissele wants to create but the El Jefe is inferior to their prior Super duty LE while costing more.

The Super Duty LE was a great value and an honest attempt at providing a “best value” for a reasonable price.

The El Jefe is a straight “grab the cash and give them trash” proposition.

Are you fixated on the video -or are you fixated on something else?
    Probably too much on the actual video, I thought it was pretty much blow and go. Another pet peeve is when folks say something is made of subpar components with nothing to back them up - examples:

Toolcraft BCG's are of lesser quality than BCM BCG's - gee, 8620 is 8620 - unless you can tell me where each company bought it; C-158 is C-158 because, well it is a proprietary material, grade 8 is grade 8 - unless you can tell me where it was sourced; Shot-peened and MPI'ed is Shot-peened and MPI'ed - unless you can show there were flaws in the process; and so on.

PSA buys reject parts or their specs aren't as tight - I ask 'show me the we make POS parts/springs for PSA factory, in other words show me the proof and what I get is well that's common industry knowledge or, usually, crickets.

I'm not so naïve as to believe a $500.00 PSA is equal to a LaRue and I understand the importance of QC, but, I also look at the BATFE data on rifles manufactured and I do remember enough from Econ that I understand how economies of scale work.

TLR - I think the video guy was putting out un-substantiated info.

ALG is just an alternative brand for Geissele - it’s Bill Geissele’s wife’s “company” ( on paper).

ALG’s actual function was two fold:

1) Provide a company that, at least on paper, is a woman / minority owned company to provide an edge in competing for government contracts; and
    2) Provide a brand to market cheaper products under in order to maintain “Geissele” as a premium brand.

The former is common in the Gov contracting world. The latter was ok until Geissele decided they were too good to be bothered with high value/ reasonably priced products. Now that the gun market is soft it seems they want those customers back, but they don’t want to provide the value they previously provided.

The linked video was an example- not my sole source of information on the rifle, but an obvious discrepancy is that Geissele’s in house barrels are all CHF - where as the “El Jefe” barrel is not.
    Knew all that about ALG. Until they stopped offering them all I used for gas blocks were the carbon steel (vs. stainless for the G variant) ALG gas blocks and I've used oodles of the ALG rails. At the price point the only better rail IMO was when LaRue was selling his for $10.00 an inch - to screw over Bill G.

The discrepancy on the barrels was noted in the video. Agree that it is probably sourced from a different manufacturer. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a POS, though. That's another place I found fault with the you tube video - he never shot it.

I do know at one time BCM was sourcing their barrels from GMB (before folks started bitching about BCM accuracy, IIRC) yet they didn't disclose that in their advertising, how is that different?

IDK if you look at your likes but I generally agree with what you're putting out. In this case I think it's early to call the 'el jefe' (dick name BTW) a POS based on the ad.

Thanks for your replies.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 12-31-2023 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post

I'll update.
    Thanks for that.

I think most of us agree that for the more serious user the sight is just a place holder, I hope.

Actually that is NOT what I sad.
    Bad choice of words, sent you a PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Leaves money left over for ammo and an Aimpoint pro

Name:  Screenshot_20231231-102849_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  25.8 KB
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List