Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Current State of the Entry-Level/First AR Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    You can find a complete Colt for a little more than that if you’re ok with the plastic handguards and not having a free floated barrel. If you want free floated and MLok, then the CR6960 for just over $1000 is a great buy. I would be concerned if the buyer is planning to only shoot the cheapest, weakest .223 ammo though because I’ve read Colt ports their midlength at 0.071 which is a lot narrower than most other manufacturers port a 16” midlength. It should work amazingly well with 5.56 pressure ammo but I don’t know how well it would cycle Tula or PMC bronze.
    Small sample size of 2, but 55 grain PMC Bronze has been a "staple food" for my stock 6960s, never had an issue in thousands of rounds. Cycling is fine and brass piles up neatly at 4 o'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    Small sample size of 2, but 55 grain PMC Bronze has been a "staple food" for my stock 6960s, never had an issue in thousands of rounds. Cycling is fine and brass piles up neatly at 4 o'clock.
    That’s good to hear. If I didn’t own an AR and had the sudden urge for one, the 6960 would be my choice these days. Have you ever shot it for groups with good ammo? I’m curious what it’s capable of.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

That’s good to hear. If I didn’t own an AR and had the sudden urge for one, the 6960 would be my choice these days. Have you ever shot it for groups with good ammo? I’m curious what it’s capable of.
    I just looked this up in my training journal / round count tracker.

At a 130 yards (odd distance, I know, but 50 and 130 are what I have available), 3-4 inch groups - shooting at a B-8 with an Aimpoint Duty RDS and stock trigger.
    This with both IMI 5.56 M193 and PMC Bronze 223.

I never shot it with match ammunition at 100 or farther (I have dedicated guns for that).

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    All great points. That Colt 6960 with a .071" gas port sounds like pure sex to me, especially for a suppressed gun. The Colt 6960 seems to be leading the duty-grade market for best bang for the buck.
    Appears to have the added benefit of being available for purchase at a Bass Pro, potentially.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/colt...mlok-handguard

Even if so done had to “order” it for pickup I would think that doing so at a known establishment, possibly by even having the clerk order it for you, would be a lower barrier to e try than asking the to order itfrkm an online be for they've never heard of and the have it shipped to another local vendor theyvenever heard of either.

The name recognition of Basss Pro could ease any first-timer concerns.

As would, potentially, the “Colt” brand vs something like “sons of liberty” or whatever.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Finding an FFL to handle the transfer is as easy as entering your zip code in the Gunbroker FFL finder. Everything else is the same as ordering something off of Amazon.com except you have to complete a 4473 to take possession of your new gun, which you’d still have to do to buy one at the store. Everyone has different levels of income, debt, and financial ability but I wouldn’t call the differences in price I’ve seen between buying online and buying at a brick and mortar FFL “slight.” Looking at those differences in terms of the percentage of the value of the item, I’d even call them substantial. I’ve talked to numerous people in meat space about the process for ordering a firearm online, including the kinds of cops who would rather have a nice pen than a nice gun, and I’ve never had anyone balk at the idea of having to find an FFL to handle the transfer. I’ve got a guy 15 minutes from my house who charges $10 for a transfer and I’ve sent a bunch of people his way. The highest price I’ve seen around my area is $30, but the average is somewhere around $20-25. When people I’ve spoken to see that they can save several hundred dollars on a rifle or handgun by ordering online, they’re generally happy to go that route.
    Different strokes, I guess.

Literally every gun-curious person I tell to order online and have shipped rolls their eyes and/or acts reluctant.

I don't think its unreasonable to offer off-the-shelf options.

And most of the online buyers fail to factor in their own time. Or don't value it. Or find enjoyment in the pursuit.

ETA:
    maybe the difference is that you are talking to cops that have already nor aloxed guns and gun ownership into their lives, whereas I’m talking to construction workers and execs, airline pilots, accountants, lawyers, government administrative workers, IT people, etc.

Either way, meeting people where they are vs dragging them to where you want them to be is a much better approach long-term to getting them on our side.
    Last edited by rob_s; 12-22-2023 at 07:19 AM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Literally every gun-curious person I tell to order online and have shipped rolls their eyes and/or acts reluctant.

And most of the online buyers fail to factor in their own time. Or don't value it. Or find enjoyment in the pursuit.

ETA:
    maybe the difference is that you are talking to cops that have already nor aloxed guns and gun ownership into their lives, whereas I’m talking to construction workers and execs, airline pilots, accountants, lawyers, government administrative workers, IT people, etc.

Either way, meeting people where they are vs dragging them to where you want them to be is a much better approach long-term to getting them on our side.
    I totally agree with you about meeting people where they are. It is much more likely to succeed. I don’t assume most gun curious are going to turn into us on the forum. Like you said, that’s more likely to not turn them off at the start. It’s absolutely not unreasonable to offer options they can interact with in person before purchasing.

Maybe explaining the online process to people has worked for me because I basically do all the work other than actually ordering the gun. I provide a couple of FFL recommendations and show them the website I found the firearm they wanted at the lowest price. Then I walk them through the steps of the process. All they’ve had to do is call the FFL to let them know an order is coming and actually place the order. I’m not sure I understand the not valuing their time thing. It only takes slightly more time to buy a gun online than it does to buy anything else online, which I’m pretty sure is the primary way most people purchase things these days. I can see it if your only guidance to the person is “find the gun you like online and just have it sent to a local dealer.” Then they’re starting the process from scratch and I can see it being overwhelming and time consuming. With the guidance I provide, the whole process of actually doing the thing takes minutes.

You might have a point about my experiences primarily, but not only, dealing with cops looking to purchase a personal gun. Cops are generally cheap, whether they’re gun people or not. When I tell them they can save hundreds of dollars by ordering online, they tend to choose the online option. The unfamiliar business thing doesn’t seem to affect anyone I’ve dealt with but I think that’s for two reasons. First, they still end up having to go into some unfamiliar business to complete the transfer whether they buy it off the shelf or from the store. Two, they trust me and I only recommend businesses I’ve either dealt with personally or have heard positive things about.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

ETA:

The only thing cheaper than a cop, is two cops.

If it will save the money, they will jump through hoops.

My vote is still Colt, specifically the 6960. You are hard pressed to find a better value with that level of quality. Second option I agree with HCM a S&W MP.

Rob - Is this hypothetical discussion or you looking to get someone into an AR?

SOLGW on-sale at Brownells right meow. Its basically the 6920 in mid-gas for $899.99.

https://www.brownells.com/guns/rifle...inter-firearms

I never paid attention to the 6960 but it looks like a good option, especially if you are going to get an optic.

I think the best beginner rifle is the same as what I did 12 years ago. Complete BCM upper on a user-assembled Aero lower. Assembling a lower is not an overly complex task and quite a bit of money can be saved there. The quality will be there where it counts the most: the barrel, bcg, gas block, and barrel extension fit to the upper receiver. I'd recommend sourcing the lower parts kit from BCM or DSG arms.

User Tag List