Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current State of the Entry-Level/First AR Carbine

Current State of the Entry-Level/First AR Carbine

Been out of the loop for a bit, and frankly haven't bought a new AR in at least a decade myself.

Curious to know what today's "go to" for a first complete* AR-pattern carbine would be. In my mind it should be <$1,000 but maybe that's not realistic in 2024?

Also should be "readily available" as I don't think most people are up for buying online and dealing with the transfer (at least not most people I talk to about a first AR).

Colt CCU still a thing?

S&W M&P15 still a thing? Still a decent thing?

Seems like everything from BCM is $1500+ these days.

*if you're answer is "build it", or even just "buy an upper and lower separate" this is not the thread for you
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....asy-Button-%94 You might've posted in there, I didn't look.

If you really want the "Glock of AR's" the answers are DD, BCM and Geissele.

I've given up trying to be a firearm proselytizer. You want cheap stuff, go ahead. Maybe you'll move onward and upward; if not, no skin off my back.

Problem with "entry level" is you get what you get. Are PSA's or Aero's fine for 99% of shooters? Sure, probably.

Site Supporter
    S&W kind of stands alone in the low price bracket, at least consistently.

Can find deals on SOLGW and COLT that rival it every once in a while.

BCM at 1500, mid-length COLT with all furniture like 1300 from what I've seen.

I've recommended the Smith to a bunch of first time buyers. Some even listen.

The CCU is just called the CR6960 now and has cheaper furniture but it’s still a thing. Available online for $1033. If your people aren’t willing to order online and have it transferred at an FFL, then I don’t know what to tell you. They can pay much higher prices for whatever off the shelf. If people aren’t willing to order separate complete uppers and complete lowers and stick the two together, I also find that ridiculous. Separating and then reattaching the upper and lower is part of field stripping the gun.

Site Supporter
    It’s important to distinguish the S&W M&P rifles from the M&P SPORT/SPORT II rifles.

The M&P line are supposed to be duty grade rifles on par with Colt. BCM etc. whether they succeed or are overpriced for what they are is a matter of debate.

The SPORT models are IMHO the best “budget” rifle but they have crept up in price which kind of defeats the purpose.

At the moment I can’t see spending $700 on a SPORT when Arms Unlimited has Colt OEMs for $750, complete 6920s for 825 to 950 and 6920 EPRs for 1199.

I’ve heard good things about the IWI rifles but have no personal experience with them.

Buying complete uppers and Lowers is as far into the weeds as I would send a new AR owner.

As linked above we just had a thread asking what was the “carbine easy button aka Glock 19 of M4’s”

It devolved it a complete shit show of people talking about their ideas for building / tuning the “ultimate carbine” and getting so far off the path they likely found both Col. Walter Kurtz and Dr. Livingston….

I.e. the Glock 19 of carbines turned into the “80% 1911 build” of carbines.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-21-2023 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    If your people aren’t willing to order online and have it transferred at an FFL, then I don’t know what to tell you. They can pay much higher prices for whatever off the shelf. If people aren’t willing to order separate complete uppers and complete lowers and stick the two together, I also find that ridiculous.
    I don't find it ridiculous at all, and I also think it's rather ridiculous to ridicule potential converts for not being the gunmoonies that we are.

Hell, I'm a gunmoonie and I hardly want to be bothered with ordering, chasing down a local FFL, etc. I'd happily pay a slight premium to walk into a gun shop and pick more or less what I want off the shelf.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s important to distinguish the S&W M&P rifles from the M&P SPORT/SPORT II rifles.

The M&P line are supposed to be duty grade rifles on par with Colt. BCM etc. whether they succeed or are overpriced for what they are is a matter of debate.

The SPORT models are IMHO the best “budget” rifle but they have crept up in price which kind of defeats the purpose.
    that's good to know, thanks. I wouldn't have had any idea about the SPORT difference.

I can't see a point to buying a S&W Sport when you can get a complete PSA rifle for substantially cheaper in any number of configurations. PSA has revamped their product line from what it was 10 years ago, and as a company they are on another level compared to 10 yeats ago as well. As long as you stick to regular ARs and don't venture out to the Jakl, Sabre, or AK lines, their products seem to be consistently okay for sporting use compared to years ago when they had the Premium (okay), Freedom and PTAC (garbage) lines.

To me, I feel like in the current day the answer for a cheap AR starts and ends with PSA. Keep in mind they own multiple brand names at this point as well, such as the H&R retro guns and they've also resurrected DPMS, which seem to be doing okay from a light/sporting use perspective. So, I'd say either get a PSA or make the jump to Colt, BCM, DD, etc....all the stuff in between isn't any better than PSA, just shittier bang for the buck.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Used to be Colt 6920 at a small premium back in the day. Now the 6920 is on the cheaper end relatively speaking.

https://armsunlimited.com/colt-m4-ca...to-ar15-rifle/

For people who are going to shoot it 7 times and then stick in the safe, Colt also brings some name recognition down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....asy-Button-%94 You might've posted in there, I didn't look.

If you really want the "Glock of AR's" the answers are DD, BCM and Geissele.

I've given up trying to be a firearm proselytizer. You want cheap stuff, go ahead. Maybe you'll move onward and upward; if not, no skin off my back.

Problem with "entry level" is you get what you get. Are PSA's or Aero's fine for 99% of shooters? Sure, probably.
    There's some good info in that thread, but it quickly gets way too gunmoonie for your average Joe.

User Tag List