Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Hybrid Magazines = more capacity in other models?

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Glock Hybrid Magazines = more capacity in other models?

With PSA Micro Dagger hybrid magazines beginning to prove themselves, I wonder if this would eventually expand to other models. I started to play with internal capacity and potential increases in the number of rounds, but this involved math, and it is too early for math.

So just thinking out loud, what to you guys think about a 20 or 21 round flush fitting Glock 17 magazine or possible an 18 round Glock 19 magazine if that could be achieved through a metal/polymer blend?

Beyond the possible benefits to handguns, I could see this as a viable market for all of the Glock powered PPC's out there. One thing that always seems odd about them is how far the magazines stick out of the gun in proportion to the number of rounds held.

I am curious to hear what others think.

Anyways, I may have had too much coffee this morning, but this is what is occupying my thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    With PSA Micro Dagger hybrid magazines beginning to prove themselves, I wonder if this would eventually expand to other models. I started to play with internal capacity and potential increases in the number of rounds, but this involved math, and it is too early for math.

So just thinking out loud, what to you guys think about a 20 or 21 round flush fitting Glock 17 magazine or possible an 18 round Glock 19 magazine if that could be achieved through a metal/polymer blend?

Beyond the possible benefits to handguns, I could see this as a viable market for all of the Glock powered PPC's out there. One thing that always seems odd about them is how far the magazines stick out of the gun in proportion to the number of rounds held.

I am curious to hear what others think.

Anyways, I may have had too much coffee this morning, but this is what is occupying my thoughts...

Regarding PCCs with Glock mags, the ones that you're seeing stick out far can be up to 50 round capacity (or more).

You can do a 24 round with plus extended basepad and it's still pretty short.

When you think of the physics, when you try and get to double stack plus there is more side loading with compression and that decreases reliability, especially when you get to super high capacity.

In general, single stack magazines are most mechanically reliable without rounds having to "traffic jam" up top and also binding and rubbing laterally as they roll / slide upwards.

I would rather have a traditional double stack in a PCC rather than trying to cram more rounds sideways.

Drums are also an option when you have to go short.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post

I don't think that's possible. The concept works because you're taking single stack mags and expanding the internal dimension to make them stack-and-a-half, or stack and a half to double stack.. If you did that to a double stack magazine which already has the rounds stacked laterally as much as possible, I'm thinking the expanded internal dimension would be too much lateral dispersion (think double-stack-and-a-half) and the cartridges won't be able to feed, as at that point they'll actually be stacked laterally instead of vertically.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I use 140mm MBX Extreme all-metal Glock mags for USPSA. The G17 factory mags with 140mm extensions which I used to use will hold 21 or 22 rounds. The MBXes hold 23. A hybrid magazine won't add as many rounds as you think you will.

What JCN nailed it. Simple physical limits apply.

And when you're talking about cramming more rounds into a pistol mag, you ARE making the gun heavier. I have a G17 mag with a Ghost +6 extension on it, and while I do love having 23 rounds in a G19, and carry it that way at times, it does add noticeable weight.

For a PCC I guess, no big deal, but I don't do those.

I am not a fan of trying to increase capacity in Glock magazines, when it comes at the cost of reliability. For gaming, a very skilled USPSA shooter and friend recently told me about these, that get 25 rounds in a 140 Glock mag.

https://teamac-design.com/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not a fan of trying to increase capacity in Glock magazines, when it comes at the cost of reliability. For gaming, a very skilled USPSA shooter and friend recently told me about these, that get 25 rounds in a 140 Glock mag.

How long are you getting out of these springs before you start suffering malfunctions?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Full disclosure: I have not competed regularly since 2019. I was never more than somebody who did IPSC/USPSA so as to learn how to run the gun automatically freeing my mind to solve the shooting problem. I then shot IDPA and was top 10% in a field of 50 shooters/guns on any given day with a shot at “winning” my very local match.

I confess I have very little experience in the PCC realm as I have only borrowed other folks guns and do not own one myself.

I have been shooting Glocks since the fall of 1991. I have NEVER seen any extended mag, OEM or otherwise, or components added to an OEM mag, be as reliable as a std capacity G17 mag.

IMHO and experience, it is simply a matter of time before they shit the bed.

While I do not think the gaming stuff for Glock is a temperamental as that for SVI/STI stuff, it is still a bit more art than science.

FWIW/YMMV greatly.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

A quick look at their website led me to IG, where a lot of people seem to have trouble getting the 25, or even 24.

I can reliably get 23+1 with a TTI basepad and stock follower.

Rune Tactical offered a 24+1 3D printed follower and spring which I never could get to function at all in the 3 samples I tried. He did say they were an experiment.

About to gamble on this, probably should just buy practice ammo for the one time the saved reload is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How long are you getting out of these springs before you start suffering malfunctions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    A quick look at their website led me to IG, where a lot of people seem to have trouble getting the 25, or even 24.

I can reliably get 23+1 with a TTI basepad and stock follower.

Rune Tactical offered a 24+1 3D printed follower and spring which I never could get to function at all in the 3 samples I tried. He did say they were an experiment.

About to gamble on this, probably should just buy practice ammo for the one time the saved reload is needed.
    I don't have any of them. My friend who is using them in USPSA is a dedicated Glock shooter and was in the top 20 at CO Nats a few years back. His go to mags are Taran 140 extensions, and he reserves his "big stick" for special stages where that might make a difference. He vetted the mag in practice and uses it sparingly.

I have a bunch of Taran 140 Glock mags and they are a solid 22 rounds, but never 23 for me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List