Thread: Defender Tactical CoSight optic adapter with Glock sights on my Shockwave

Defender Tactical CoSight optic adapter with Glock sights on my Shockwave

There are several good threads loaded with great “deep dive information” on Mossberg Shockwaves and their variants already running. Really liking the 410 thread and concept!

But I don’t want to distract from those threads with a drift.

I do want to say Thank you to:
    @fatdog @Paul Blackburn @Chuck Whitlock @TCinVA @spence and many others for the information and experiences shared.

I’ve been shooting my 12G Shockwave for less than a year now. The only modifications I’ve made were attaching a grip loop (Demonstrated Concepts), wrapping the grip in athletic tape, and putting on a side saddle shell holder.

I’ve run every variation of 12g ammo I could get my hands on through it. Old stock H132 Low Recoil and old stock Fed slugs, Wolf buck & slugs, Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi and others I’m sure.

Of course Mossberg usually hit high for me with just the bead front sight.
    (My Vang Comped 590 has Ghost Rings fwiw and they still make running that 590 easy)

After reading the several Shockwave related threads a couple of times, and asking questions, and receiving helpful responses and info I finally ordered and mounted a Defender Tactical Defender Tactical CoSight optic adapter with Glock sights on my Shockwave.
    I had planned to save for and mount a Holosun 507C. But Damn! This thing is excellent even without the RD.!
    I did email and received a prompt helpful response from Wes (Wesley Sarratt) when I had questions. Great customer service.

I’ve tried the cheek weld position several times, and smacked myself in the face a few times. Rhett makes it look easy… So I tend to extend the Shockwave forward with my elbows slightly flexed/bent and position the bead sight under my right (dominate) eye. The new to me CoSight works remarkably well.
    They are fast for me to pick up and having the very familiar Glock sights on them makes even my lizard brain happy.

I am currently tending some torn tendons in my left ankle and according to my orthopod I should be using crutches. Don’t think that’ll work so a cane it is. Point is my balance is a bit of a challenge but no issues shooting the Shockwave.
    But target setup is challenging. Thankfully I can drive out onto a bay at the outdoor range I belong to and do my setup.
    So the below target is set at 20 yards.

The Federal 8 pellet 00B LE-133 is nothing short of outstanding! At 10 yards and in my Shockwave just shoots a single large hole. I thought it was the wadding the first round I fired at 7 yards…then 10…then 15. Damn!

The LE127 slugs have some umph to ‘em, but slug doesn’t.
    I picked up a few hundred rounds of Fiocchi 00B for general range work and really like them. Not nearly as tight as LE133 but great for their purpose.

Attempting photos below. I am a devout technotard. Patience please.

Oh, I obviously reuse/tape my IDPA targets because I am a tightwad...

Link to sights: https://defendertactical.com/product...42640501276851

Name:  Shockwave sights.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  33.2 KB
    Last edited by Jamie; 12-21-2023 at 07:46 AM.

LE 133 20 yards Shockwave

Name:  H133 20 yards Shockwave.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  30.8 KB

Federal "Low recoil slug" Ha!

I moved my grip to the left right at ignition...

Name:  Shockwave slug 20 yds Federal Truball low recoil.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  35.3 KB

I love the idea of the cosight
    Never thought of using it without a dot.
    Cool to know that it’s practical to install it and use it without the dot if you don’t have one available.
    I’ll be putting one in my next 500/590 build.
    Likely a 20 gauge pistol grip model.
    I already have a 590A1 SBS, 590 shockwave in 410 and 12, and a 18.5” rifle sight 500.
    I’m itching to try a conventional pistol grip model, and get a 20 gauge pump. Kill both birds with one stone and hopefully save my wrist.

I was truly surprised at this sight. Pleasantly surprised I might add.

I will probably still add that 507C as my aging eyesight will appreciate it. But I plan to run a few hundred rounds or so without simply to test a kind of "proof of concept" to myself. I think it's having the distance to the rear sight from my eyes so similar to having a Glock extended that makes it feel "natural" to me.

There's a steel rifle plinking range setup at the outdoor range I belong to, 25-50-75-100 yards, and they allow slugs. This is gonna be my challenge LOL. I'll need more slugs...
    I shoot this range with my RDS Glocks and this is what will more than likely convince me to add the 507C.

The videos at Defender Tactical are quite helpful too imho.

Please keep us posted if you try one out. Love to hear another's opinion of this sight.

I definitely like the CoSight concept. It will not be likely to make me buy a Mossberg shotgun, so, I look forward to the prospect of the CoSight device being introduced for other weapons.

Edited to add: If a CoSight were available to fit a Weaver or Pic rail, I would order one tomorrow, when my direct-deposit hits my bank account, in order to start experimenting.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-27-2023 at 08:49 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Added a Holosun 507C

I intended to shoot at least 100 rounds using the DF Co-Sight before mounting a RDS. Well, I made it to around 50 rounds and got a good deal on a Holosun 507C… so, there’s that.

Super simple and solid mount to the DF Co-Sight as a base. An added benefit is lower 1/3 (1/4?) co-witness of the Glock sights. The glass on the Holosun has a slight tint and while it was only 45-50 degrees yesterday the sun was shining bright. Therefore I plan to put a “dollop” of “Traffic Cone Orange” nail polish on the Glock front sight later this morning.

Zeroing the 507c was almost too easy. I have it set on the Circle-dot mode and like it!
    I sit up IDPA Targets at 20 and 25 yards on the “Plinking Range”.
    I’ll include some pics below and I wrote on the targets with a black sharpie.
    It only took me 3 rounds to achieve center zero. I don’t know if that was luck or just a well built mounting system. Regardless, I’m happy with that as I had grabbed the wrong 12g ammo box and only had 10 slugs with me. (Federal Low Recoil 127).
    The holes scattered about the target are from some mini-shells...not very tight, but light recoil.

I then shot 2 rounds (slugs) at 25 yards along with one round of Flight control 8 pellet buck. (The holes in the head are from me trying out some Magtech steel case 9mm…gotta work on that)

As I had limited slugs with me I went to the next section of the range (adjacent to the plinking range) which is the steel target rifle plinking range (slugs are OK’d for this range).
    I only fired 1 slug at 25 yards and 1 slug at 50 yards and was rewarded each shot with a loud clang.
    I’ll try and make it back out later this week and take the right 12g ammo box this time <sigh>

I’m happy with this setup so far. I can certainly see setting up a .410 version in the future.
    But so far, so good.

20 yard IDPA
    Name:  20 yd zeroing Holosun 12 g slugs.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  31.6 KB

25 yard IDPA
    Name:  25 yd Holosun 12 g slugs.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  48.7 KB

Older pic Rifle plinking range steel targets
    Name:  ORSA Rifle plinking 24 March 2018.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  92.3 KB

Co-witness
    Terrible pic...
    Name:  Co witness Holosun Shockwave.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  39.3 KB

Not being able to leave well enough alone I added a Defender Tactical Mini-shell adapter to my Shockwave.
    (I promise I have no affiliation with Defender Tactical...they just have some decent products)

Their mini-shell adapter is a firm yet flexible rubber and is made to remain in place. I also installed the follower that came with the kit.
    Link: https://defendertactical.com/product...ishell-adapter

I had a couple of boxes of Augila mini-shells (buck-mix) on hand along with some 2 3/4 Federal slugs and 2 3/4 Fiocchi 00 Buckshot. I ran around 25 total rounds, mixed in every order I could think of, through my Shockwave after installing this device. It worked. Flawlessly so far anyway.

I have some Federal "shorty" slugs on order to try.

Now this is just a try it and see if it works for practice exercise.

I keep Federal LE 133 8 pellet in my Shockwave at the bedside and have a couple of Federal slugs in my sidesaddle fwiw.

Just thought I'd mention this device seems pretty decent so far. I'll shoot it more next week.

Oh, the 507 is like cheating!

As above I've got the DT Mini adapter in my 12g Shockwave and it's been 100% for around 50 of the mini-shells and 75 or so of the 2 3/4" buckshot and slugs.
    I'm not crazy about the Aguila mini buckshot so I'll stick to Federal 133 or Fiocchi buckshot.

I know I'm still early in my testing of this device but I'm impressed so far.

I didn't even know Federal made a "Shorty" slug until I went down this path. The most remarkable thing to me was that I didn't have to change my zero on my 507 to accommodate the "Shorty" slugs. I've run a variety of foster and Brenneke slugs through my Shockwave so far.
    The subjective recoil is markedly less noticeable with the Shorty slugs.

The DT device seems to be very solid.

This was the Federal Shorty rounds yesterday at 15 & 20 yards after I finished shooting some .38 rounds to chrono.
    Yeah, I have work to do, but the little slugs are impressive.
    Head at 15, slow and obviously wobbly.
    Chest at 20 running faster...I'm old and slow
    I was able to hit steel at 25-50- & 75 yards with the same zero I used on paper. Great feeding and no complaints from me. (Pics of the steel range posted earlier).

Name:  Shockwave mini slugs 28 Jan 2024.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  36.4 KB

I have more of the Federal Shorty slugs on order.
    It helps having a shooting bud that works at a range

User Tag List