Thread: RFI: Delta shower/tub faucet “bonnet/dome” nut stuck

RFI: Delta shower/tub faucet “bonnet/dome” nut stuck

Pic of actual faucet.

Name:  IMG_8527.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  26.5 KB

So, I’ve replaced seats and springs in these single handle rigs before. This particular one is seized up good. I’m planning to dremel it off tomorrow and replace it.

Two questions.

1. Is it best just to make a single cut starting at the front and work your way towards the back taking care not to damage the threads?

2. What is the official name of this part because if I cut it and break it off, it’s done for.

Thanks in advance.

I think my computer is trying to feature me in an episode of twilight zone. Not sure how it doubled.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Have you tried channel locks or similar yet? It doesnt look nearly damaged enough yet to have tried them.

Google shows a lot of parts diagrams when searching images. i didnt notice any that resembled yours but didnt look very long.

https://www.google.com/search?q=delt...h=568&biw=1242
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Have you tried channel locks or similar yet?
    One thing I do (when tightening the nut on my LaRue handguards) is use a rubber strap wrench, and then put the channel locks on top of the rubber strap. Works great.

Have you tried tapping with a hammer combined with heat?

Site Supporter
    That looks to me like the brass piece in the center is a retaining nut or cap of some kind that locks the chrome trim piece in place. I would try tapping the brass piece out with a drift or a large screwdriver. Tap in those slots around the outer edge.

Is it possibly reverse threaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    That looks to me like the brass piece in the center is a retaining nut or cap of some kind that locks the chrome trim piece in place. I would try tapping the brass piece out with a drift or a large screwdriver. Tap in those slots around the outer edge.
    That's what I thought too. I'll bet there is a tool for this. I just use a big screwdriver and hammer and tap the brass/plastic ring around.

I had to Dremel off the exact piece with my shower. I made a cut just deep enough to get a flat headed screwdriver in there and pried it apart.

This is from a convo with Delta customer service

If you are referring to the bonnet nut that holds the cartridge in, we would advise taking a towel soaked in a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and warm water, and wrapping it around the bonnet for about 45 minutes to an hour. The fumes should break up any corrosion holding it on. If you need to cut it off, the part number is RP22734.

Yeah, I tried all that.

Ended up calling a local plumber. It took two of their guys an hour and 45 minutes to cut that thing off. I was ready to cut it off myself but couldn’t find the Delta part locally after I got off work.

Thanks for the replies.

User Tag List