Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger American Rifle Gen II

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Having never shot a similar stock, what problem does this cause??

TIA
    The support from your shoulder is below the path of the recoil, pivoting the stock up into your face as it recoils and making it more difficult to spot your own shots.

Totally my opinion, I think it looks absolutely hideous to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Would .300 BO be enough?
    With 125-grain bullets, I think of it as a bolt-action 7.62x39. With 150-grain bullets, I think of it as a bolt-action 30-30. Maybe not precise analogs but pretty close, especially in barrels longer than 16”.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I don’t care for the spiral fluting. It seems that any fluting is adding cost to what is supposed to be a budget rifle.

I have four centerfire Americans. Two haven’t been fired yet. The 350 Legend and the 300 Blackout both shoot better than one would expect from lower cost rifles. The other two are 223 and 308 Predators. I have Magpul stocks I’ve not gotten around to installing yet

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have a Ranch in 6.5G and absolutely love it. I put a compact stock on it.
    Might have you adding a Part 5 to your Down the Practical Hole series.

Well crap. There's another rifle I really didn't need to know about...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I don’t care for the spiral fluting. It seems that any fluting is adding cost to what is supposed to be a budget rifle.
    This. Big move in the wrong direction. Gen2 should have been about better stocks, different rifling twists, more cartridges, iron sights on a few models, and for the love of God, better magazines.

Leave the fluting to custom makers.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have a Ranch in 6.5G and absolutely love it. I put a compact stock on it.
    I recalled that from your "Down the Practical Hole" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Might have you adding a Part 5 to your Down the Practical Hole series.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    With 125-grain bullets, I think of it as a bolt-action 7.62x39. With 150-grain bullets, I think of it as a bolt-action 30-30. Maybe not precise analogs but pretty close, especially in barrels longer than 16”.

Yeah, I'm sure it would work. Our critters aren't all that big. But there's the possibility of some long shots in wide-open areas.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Yeah, I'm sure it would work. Our critters aren't all that big. But there's the possibility of some long shots in wide-open areas.
    A bit of rabbit holing on the .300BLK re: deer and/or pig shows a lot of very satisfied hunters out to +/-150 yards. I think this new Ruger might be a killer 150 and in choice. Light, low recoil, seems to drop critters like a stone. Looks like some real bullet drop after 200, unsurprisingly. Let us know how it treats you.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Nearly all 300 BO ballistics are quoted in 16" barrels. A longer barrel may not increase range much given the Blackout's limited case capacity, but it can't hurt. In the budget category, the CVA Cascade SB gets you to 18" and the Savage Axis II Compact gets you to 20", plus both are cheaper than a Gen2 Ruger.

That said, the 308 or 6.5 Creed are far more versatile if you regularly need to reach beyond ~150 yards, plus you have more options for rifles, loads, etc. If I were to encounter a wayward nilgai, then there's no way I'd pass up the shot but I'd want a 308 at a minimum.

Okie John

User Tag List