Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W SD9 2.0

Site Supporter

S&W SD9 2.0

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...n=Smith-Wesson

New 2.0 SD9 with new slide serrations (why?) And an M&P esque flat trigger.

Forgot about this gun. My mom has had one as a sock drawer gun for a decade.

Just saw this also.
    MSRP of $350, I think these will be an interesting option. They are quite compact, the prior (1.0?) version had a nice trigger with just some inexpensive Apex bits, perhaps these will mimic that. Not sure I will need one, but will probably recommend them for folks that are entry level, I think you could do a lot worse.

ETA: Maybe I will buy one, just to be cantankerous...

All time favorite pistol for Tom Jones.

How about optic ready?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I got the email from S&W this morning about this. I've heard the previous versions work pretty well. A nearby shop has been advertising a used .40 cal version for $199, which is tempting me for some reason.

S&W is never afraid of adding SKUs to their catalog, so I wouldn't be surprised to see SD9VE 2.0 and/or optics-ready 2.0 in the new year. I don't know anything about the internals, but if this relaunch takes off, at all, a thumb safety wouldn't shock me, either?

This version should have a street price that starts with a "2" so I think they'll sell a few.

Their promotional materials claim:
    Built from consumer feedback on what was missing, but keeping true to what made the SD so popular...
    You wouldn't think that the most-clamored-for feature was a flat trigger.

IIRC, aren't Glock SCD's are supposed to work with the SD series pistols?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I played around with the original SD9VE for a while. It's a cool striker fired design with a trigger that feels closer to a double action because of the way the trigger bar works on a big pivoting sear with a partially cocked striker. There's a little bit of grittiness but a skilled gunsmith could probably make the trigger pull buttery smooth by polishing certain interfaces. The Apex or Mcarbo spring kits could lighten the trigger significantly.

The issues I had with mine were that I didn't like the slide catch lever. It needs to be shortened, in my opinion, so that it doesn't accidentally get held down. Also the magazines are kind of cheap feeling (but still expensive) and the follower sometimes didn't engage the slide catch lever well on mine, so it wouldn't lock back on the last round even with my thumbs far away from the lever. Too bad the SD9 2.0 is not compatible with M&P magazines and probably uses the original SD9 magazine.

Not many places offered optic milling for it. The sights were easy to swap because of M&P type dovetails.

Not sure how I feel about the flat trigger with the SD9 series. If I recall, the factory trigger was about 8 lbs. Not really what I would pair a flat trigger with usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    IIRC, aren't Glock SCD's are supposed to work with the SD series pistols?
    The design can be adapted to the SD9 but the backplate dimensions aren't exactly the same, so it's not a good fit to just drop a Glock SCD in. Maybe someone could make an SD9 specific version.
    Last edited by FreedomFries; 12-19-2023 at 11:45 AM.

Vending Machine Operator
    I like the SD9.

For my money, I'd rather spend marginally more for a police trade in M&P 2.0. But some buyers aren't savvy enough to know about that, and for some buyers $50-100 is an amount of money they can't spare.

It's a genuinely reliable budget option. That alone endears me to it. People on a shoestring deserve to have something that isn't a Taurus or SCCY to defend themselves.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The SD9 2.0 are also shipping with only 1 magazine according to the spec page.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    The SD9 2.0 are also shipping with only 1 magazine according to the spec page.
    Thats pretty lame.

User Tag List