Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SP101 3" Looks Interesting

Site Supporter

Site Supporter
    I'd buy one in .327 or .32H&R if they made one.

Site Supporter
    I was tempted but remembered I have a Model 60 Pro 3” so I was able to resist.

Site Supporter
    For the weight is should at least be a six shot.

Dave

I admit to not understanding why Ruger still makes the SP101. I can't imagine the LCR doesn't outsell it at least 5-to-1. Then again, I admit to being fuzzy as to why anyone makes and sells a 5-shot all steel revolver these days. It was a different story 10-12 years ago. But now with Colt, Taurus, and Kimber all making 6-shot guns in the same weight class - it just doesn't make sense to me.

I further am continually impressed by Ruger's inability or unwillingness to upsize the LCR and replace both the SP101 and the GP100 with it. Despite the fact that it would streamline production and give the market something it wants - a lighter weight 6-shot revolver.

I guess this is why I am not running a gun company. I'd be slashing product lines left and right and focus on delivering as many units of core products as possible. Given the number of pink and purple guns sold, I'd be doing it wrong.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Truly sensible, user-modifiable, adjustable sights. I personally would prefer a Novak-style rear on a 3" gun, but these still rock. Ruger, please - PLEASE - put the hog trough fixed rear sights on DAs out to pasture.

But I loathe the tapered revolver cylinder. Ugly spitters, those.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I further am continually impressed by Ruger's inability or unwillingness to upsize the LCR and replace both the SP101 and the GP100 with it. Despite the fact that it would streamline production and give the market something it wants - a lighter weight 6-shot revolver.
    Good Lord, I hope that never happens! I'm sure there are some people that love plastic revolvers, but I ain't one of them. Revolvers are meant to be steel or at least aluminum and steel.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I admit to not understanding why Ruger still makes the SP101. I can't imagine the LCR doesn't outsell it at least 5-to-1. Then again, I admit to being fuzzy as to why anyone makes and sells a 5-shot all steel revolver these days. It was a different story 10-12 years ago. But now with Colt, Taurus, and Kimber all making 6-shot guns in the same weight class - it just doesn't make sense to me.

I guess this is why I am not running a gun company. I'd be slashing product lines left and right and focus on delivering as many units of core products as possible. Given the number of pink and purple guns sold, I'd be doing it wrong.
    Well, someone keeps buying all of the new and pre-owned SP101 revolvers that arrive at the LGS. I am still awaiting an opportunity to buy a 4” .357 SP101.

GP100 revolvers, new and pre-owned, tend to appear more often, and may well linger a bit longer, but tend to sell well, too.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

The only thing that worries me about that model is the front sight. I have the Wiley Clapp 3" model, and I had to remove some leather from the bottom of a Milt Sparks Summer Special II sight slot to get it to slide all the way in and come out easily. My uncalibrated eyeball thinks that model's front sight is much bigger and not likely to work with a holster designed for the standard SP101 front sight. Kydex holsters seem to have sloppier sight slots and may not be a problem.

I like the look of it. I too would be much more interested in buying one in 32 H&R or 327 Fed, but I would really prefer the 32 H&R. I wonder if this model uses the GP100 rear sight or if it is specific to the SP101.

User Tag List