Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SP101 3" Looks Interesting

The SP101 has always been cursed by being a D frame sized revolver with J frame capacity. The .327 Fed Version is just a crappy consolation prize.

Name:  SP101 Meme.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  87.6 KB

Re: SP101 .357 Mag Having A “Mere” Five Shots

In the Eighties, I bought a squared-butt, 3” heavy-barrel S&W Model 60, one of a limited run of 5000. (Lew Horton, I think, was the sponsoring distributor.) I carried it, paired with my standard-configuration 1-7/8” Model 60, to “go out and look for trouble,” as DB would say, during some plain-clothes assignments, while working for Houston PD in Texas. (Houston was a wild and wooly place, in the boom-to-bust Eighties.) I could shoot it as accurately as a fixed-sight N-Frame duty sixgun. Sadly, I traded-away both of by Models 60, and some other J-snubs, when I was doing some crazy buying and selling in the early Nineties, concentrating on various compact autos, but, I ended up regretting having let that bull-barrel 3” Model 60 get away. The Cure for that regret was to eventually acquire a 3” SP101, after having accumulated three 2.25” SP101 snub-guns. I swapped a factory spur-less hammer into the 3” SP101. Compact Revolver Nirvana.

When I look at an SP101 cylinder, I do not see room to squeeze another .357 chamber in there. The cylinder would need to grow. A bigger cylinder means a larger frame window, which, realistically, means a larger frame. A larger frame means a higher bore axis. One of the secrets of the SP101’s shoot-ability, with amazingly little muzzle flip, is the shooter’s ability to surround that grip with muscle and bone so high, relative to the bore axis. Five shots of .357 Mag will do considerable damage, and then five shots in one’s secondary SP101 can/will do more damage. Then, there is one’s tertiary SP101. I will neither conform not deny the rumors that I carried as many as four, at one time, occasionally.

One of my few recent handguns additions is yet another 3” SP101, which is keeping its hammer spur. When one manages to acquire a holster, for the 3” SP101, made by the legendary Thad Rybka, with a Hank Sloan-inspired extension of leather, to shield the hammer from contact with the cover garment, it “becomes necessary” to shop for a 3” SP101 with a hammer spur.

Edited to add: With my skinny fingers, I can get a three-finger grip on the factory SP101 grip. This is a significant reason I find the SP101 so very useful; compact, but controllable.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I saw one just yesterday in a big, friendly gun shop just south of Beeville.

Last time I went in there I bought a 3” SP101.

A dealer in Sinton had a very lightly used 4” not too long ago. I can see if he still has it if you want..

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Last time I went in there I bought a 3” SP101.

A dealer in Sinton had a very lightly used 4” not too long ago. I can see if he still has it if you want..
    Thanks, but, do not rush, on my account. I would act no sooner than about a week into January.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-20-2023 at 08:05 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I just want someone to buy it so I don’t!

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    The SP101 has always been cursed by being a D frame sized revolver with J frame capacity. The .327 Fed Version is just a crappy consolation prize.
    Today, I picked up a lightly-used 4.2" .327 at my local fun store and put my first hundred rounds through it. I'd say it's a damned fine consolation prize, and one whose aesthetics are the geometric opposite of the LCR's.

Regarding the original topic of this post - today's acquisition notwithstanding, if that 3" SP-101 with adjustable sights became available in .327, I would be in shutupandtakemymoney.gif mode at the speed of rumor. Swap the rear iron for an optic mount, throw a reliable closed-emitter dot on there, and that's my new PFD gun for kayaking.

Yes, I rationalize with the nichest of niche cases. Don't judge me.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Site Supporter
    I bought one of these 3” adj sight SP101s from the first batch. I wish they made this version in stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    When I look at an SP101 cylinder, I do not see room to squeeze another .357 chamber in there. The cylinder would need to grow. A bigger cylinder means a larger frame window, which, realistically, means a larger frame.
    Not so fast. I would have said that you can't fit seven .327s in a Single Six, but I have one in the safe. They fit six .327s in an SP101, and seven .327 or .357 in a GP100.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I admit to not understanding why Ruger still makes the SP101. I can't imagine the LCR doesn't outsell it at least 5-to-1. Then again, I admit to being fuzzy as to why anyone makes and sells a 5-shot all steel revolver these days. It was a different story 10-12 years ago. But now with Colt, Taurus, and Kimber all making 6-shot guns in the same weight class - it just doesn't make sense to me.

I further am continually impressed by Ruger's inability or unwillingness to upsize the LCR and replace both the SP101 and the GP100 with it. Despite the fact that it would streamline production and give the market something it wants - a lighter weight 6-shot revolver.

I guess this is why I am not running a gun company. I'd be slashing product lines left and right and focus on delivering as many units of core products as possible. Given the number of pink and purple guns sold, I'd be doing it wrong.
    Yeah, just tonight I had to explain to the Mrs, why we no longer have one. With a three inch tube, it really should hold six rounds. So too big for what it is, and too big for what it should be.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    When I look at an SP101 cylinder, I do not see room to squeeze another .357 chamber in there. The cylinder would need to grow. A bigger cylinder means a larger frame window, which, realistically, means a larger frame. A larger frame means a higher bore axis. One of the secrets of the SP101’s shoot-ability, with amazingly little muzzle flip, is the shooter’s ability to surround that grip with muscle and bone so high, relative to the bore axis.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1538093
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List