Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which pistol class to take at Rogers?

Sounds reasonable. Hav a great time-I bet you’re back in a year…

Rogers course thoughts...

Pangloss, my apologies for not commenting earlier, as I now see you went ahead and signed up. My suggestion (would have been to take the advanced course). I took it 2 months ago, and was awarded most of the top awards. Best score was 124 out 125. It was my first/only training course, but I perform well at IDPA/USPSA and am retired LEO. From my take on the course.......one student in class was his SEVENTH time there. Lol. I really can't imagine that!!!! I didn't learn anything per se' , really just a test of your skill sets, and your ability to stay mentally focused. All that being said, I think finances are the only factor. If you don't mind paying twice.....basic, then advanced....go for it. If you feel good about your skills (especially one handed) and are on a limited budget, then don't waste time on basic.

124 at RSS, first trip, is baller. Color me impressed.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Yes very impressive. I managed a 110 on Friday.

Rogers school

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    124 at RSS, first trip, is baller. Color me impressed.
    Lol. Thank you!!! I actually received 2 pins. A top shooter for class, and a pin for shooting advance rating for all attempts... Red pin maybe? Supposedly only about 40 of those issued ever....

Rogers school

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Yes very impressive. I managed a 110 on Friday.
    I received a "red" pin which I think is advanced rating for every course...supposedly only 40 of those ever issued? I could be wrong on that

I wish I had taken basic first.

IF anyone wants a pdf copy of the tests PM me and I'll see if I can find the thumb drive I have mine on.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by RT3 Strategies View Post
    Lol. Thank you!!! I actually received 2 pins. A top shooter for class, and a pin for shooting advance rating for all attempts... Red pin maybe? Supposedly only about 40 of those issued ever....
    The red pin is for the shooter with the highest cumulative score for the week. It helps to pick your fellow attendees to win that. The gold pin is for shooting Advanced, which is 110 or higher. There is no award, or at least there didn't used to be, for shooting Advanced each of the six school tests (one a day, and twice on Thursday).

I am surprised you didn't learn anything beyond what you described. The basic and intermediate/advanced classes are very different.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RT3 Strategies View Post
    Pangloss, my apologies for not commenting earlier, as I now see you went ahead and signed up. My suggestion (would have been to take the advanced course). I took it 2 months ago, and was awarded most of the top awards. Best score was 124 out 125. It was my first/only training course, but I perform well at IDPA/USPSA and am retired LEO. From my take on the course.......one student in class was his SEVENTH time there. Lol. I really can't imagine that!!!! I didn't learn anything per se' , really just a test of your skill sets, and your ability to stay mentally focused. All that being said, I think finances are the only factor. If you don't mind paying twice.....basic, then advanced....go for it. If you feel good about your skills (especially one handed) and are on a limited budget, then don't waste time on basic.
    No worries, and thanks for sharing your experience. My one-handed shooting is definitely not where it should be. Weak hand is not great either. >90% of my practice is getting the gun out of the holster and two or three quick shots on target from 7 yards or shooting 2" circles from seven yards. I think this maximizes my preparation as a non-LEO CCW holder, but it doesn't make me a very well-rounded shooter. Anyway, there's a ton I don't know, so not learning much is definitely not one of my worries.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List