Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noise-cancelling ear-bud protection

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Probably because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Maybe mixing up aviation and shooting uses? I've worn foam earplugs at outdoor matches, but then I'm often going "what?" in between stages or I pull them out and go through a few pairs. So I guess I'm looking for the lind that block loud sounds and yet let normal sounds pass.
    They don’t let normal sounds pass…

They muffle sound and then electronically pipe sound back.

Probably because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Maybe mixing up aviation and shooting uses? I've worn foam earplugs at outdoor matches, but then I'm often going "what?" in between stages or I pull them out and go through a few pairs. So I guess I'm looking for the lind that block loud sounds and yet let normal sounds pass.
    As noted by @JCN, noise cancellation actually utilizes wavesforms that outright cancels out noises via destructive interference, and with today's technology, there isn't a feasible way to do that in a consumer product with how fast the impulse of a gunshot is, so yeah, noise cancellation is much more common in, say, aviation, since the drone of an aircraft engine is extremely steady and thus very easy to cancel out. The Safariland Liberators have noise cancellation, for example, to help with their use by folks that are also in vehicles all day, but that noise cancellation does not contribute in any meaningful way as hearing protection against gun shots.

For active ear pro that are also plugs, the most popular options seem to be the Peltor TEP-200 and OTTO NoizeBarrier Micro. The options by Axil seem to also get decent enough reviews, while the Peltor TEP-300 is probably the S tier option, albeit rather wasted if used just by themselves, IMO.

I'd also ask, what issues are you seeing with muffs? I've usually found that quality and well-fitted muffs alone are more comfortable than plugs alone to me, though I always strive to double up these days. The only downside of muffs running slightly hotter is actually mitigated by doubling up, IME, since now you can quite easily remove the muffs for a short period of time to wipe off the sweat or whatever.

Site Supporter
    I found the combination of Surefire ep3 and Sordins works well and allows me to hear what I need to. Howard Leight impacts with gel cushions would probably work just as well and be just as comfortable for less. I just didn't know about the gel cushion option when I was figuring this out, or it may have come along after.

Here's a video explaining how the different types work.

I use Pro Ear Gold for muffs and ESP digital for ear plugs.

I used the Walkers digital plugs for years until they fell apart.

I’m using the Axil now but liked the Walkers 1.0s better (the 2.0 Walkers sucked ass).

The Axil has a cyclic clicking noise and more interference with other electronics.

But it’s good enough for the price.

I usually turn the electronic plugs up high and put passive muffs over them.

That way I can take off the muffs for comfort intermittently to give my head a break. I should try gel cups.

For those who use gel cups, do they help with eye pro ear stem pressure points?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Yes, a lot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

Yes - they both reduce the pressure, and make a better seal around the stem. So more comfortable and better noise reduction due to both the seal and a denser material between the rigid part of the cups and your head.

Site Supporter
    I used electronic muffs in the TX inferno and just put up with it. Plugs in the ears for carbine matches - doubled up.

I've heard this, that with just plugs - bone conduction of sound impulses is destructive and that's why you need muffs over plugs for the long haul. Haven't researched the validity of this though. Got that from a nationally known trainer with EE background but not going to name, in case this is incorrect.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I really wanted the Axil plugs to work for me. First time I tried them I fired 3 quick shots, said "OW!!!!", and took them off and put the Peltors back on. Trying the different foam tips did absolutely nothing to change their effectiveness. They just did not fit my ear canals at all. Was like shooting with no ear pro on.

I love the idea of the gel cup seals, but am leery due to a silicone allergy. I have a permanent scar on the bridge of my nose from a gel CPAP mask.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List