Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noise-cancelling ear-bud protection

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Noise-cancelling ear-bud protection

What are people liking for that, and why?

I'm hoping to shoot some more outdoor matches next year. A day in muffs is becoming less fun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Any particular reason you're after noise cancelling? I'm aware of a few shooting-oriented ear pro with noise cancelling, but they're all muffs.

I bought a pair of Axil XCOR earbuds for $200 on a Black Friday deal. With properly-fitted foam inserts, I find them acceptable for high-round-count pistol shooting outdoors. I would not want to shoot more than a few unsuppressed rifle shots without more protection. The hearing enhancement is excellent, and battery life is ok as well.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    https://safariland.com/products/in-e...ection-1304314

Is that the kind of thing you’re referring too? If so, I have these and have used them a few times at the range (aka the woods behind my uncle’s house). They seem to work as advertised, as in, I was comfortable when shooting pistols with them, and didn’t seem like I was yelling as much in casual conversation. When shooting long guns or at an indoor range I always double up. Serveral times I have only worn these when someone else was shooting a long gun (outdoors) and these seemed to offer adequate protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What are people liking for that, and why?

I'm hoping to shoot some more outdoor matches next year. A day in muffs is becoming less fun.
    You have to define your terms.

There’s “active noise cancelation” like what high end electronics use.

But that’s not what muffs and shooting protection use (electronics aren’t fast enough for gunshots).

A lot of stuff advertises being “noise canceling” but it’s just noise dampening with electrical boost.

That’s how most electronic muffs work.

They cut all noise by 20-25 dB and then they pipe back sounds not to exceed an 85dB level from the speaker (so they compress the loud stuff).

But if you’re listening to a rifle shot at 160dB, it’s still at 140dB… not 85dB.

It doesn’t cut the 140dB to your ear down to 85.

It just doesn’t pipe in the noise electronically in addition.

Muffs are unpleasant in hot weather over a long day, for sure.

Outdoors, and not around open guns, the OTTO Noizebarrier with correct size Shure tips is my preferred solution. 37 db noise reduction on their own, and excellent fidelity. The case can literally go months between charges and the buds themselves will do 10 hour days, no problem.

The Axil Xcor is not nearly as good, with a late attack time (restoration of normal sound after the impulse) impeding conversation/scoring and terrible performance in the wind. Terrible battery performance if you turn on the Bluetooth function and it’s too easy to turn it on inadvertently- with no easy way to turn it back off- and the case is good for maybe two charges before needing to be recharged again. It is cheaper, so there’s that.

If you are around open guns, rifles, or anything concussive, you’re still going to need muffs. Bone conduction is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Outdoors, and not around open guns, the OTTO Noizebarrier with correct size Shure tips is my preferred solution. 37 db noise reduction on their own, and excellent fidelity.
    FWIW, NRR rating is not a 1:1 dB reduction. Rather, the dB reduction is typically (NRR rating - 7) / 2.

I know that Shure straight up published it as just dB of isolation (I used Shures with olives as passive ear pro for awhile before I got real ear pro), so perhaps that rating really is a flat reduction, but I'm not really convinced, given that I do not feel that my Shures give noticeably better isolation than my AMP with the NFMI plugs, which only have an NRR of 34 (so a reduction of 13.5 dB).

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    FWIW, NRR rating is not a 1:1 dB reduction. Rather, the dB reduction is typically (NRR rating - 7) / 2.

I know that Shure straight up published it as just dB of isolation (I used Shures with olives as passive ear pro for awhile before I got real ear pro), so perhaps that rating really is a flat reduction, but I'm not really convinced, given that I do not feel that my Shures give noticeably better isolation than my AMP with the NFMI plugs, which only have an NRR of 34 (so a reduction of 13.5 dB).
    I'm sure you're correct- this can be a deep rabbit hole when one considers frequency ranges and other variables. As a practical matter, it works for me. I can hear scores when being called from targets, conversation while shooting is going on, and while Open guns still are unpleasant to stand next to (as an RO), it does all I need for everything else I deal with, outdoors. I keep my Sordins on the cart to throw on overtop the OTTO's for the occasional open blaster.

Related, but gel ear seals can make a day wearing muffs slightly less a pain. I really like the Noisefighters I have on my Sordins.

Otherwise, following.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Any particular reason you're after noise cancelling? I'm aware of a few shooting-oriented ear pro with noise cancelling, but they're all muffs.
    Probably because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Maybe mixing up aviation and shooting uses? I've worn foam earplugs at outdoor matches, but then I'm often going "what?" in between stages or I pull them out and go through a few pairs. So I guess I'm looking for the lind that block loud sounds and yet let normal sounds pass.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List