Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA new 2024 rule book: holsters

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    One of the underrated advantages of IDPA, right here. Getting to shoot from seated positions, in real cars, around real world obstacles, pulling guns out of drawers and other places they often are in the real world, has real actual value for a lot of "average" CCW holders.
    Not just that, but you can show up and shoot, anyone, without having to memorize a stage plan to be successful. It's simply more approachable.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star Gear View Post
    Not just that, but you can show up and shoot, anyone, without having to memorize a stage plan to be successful. It's simply more approachable.
    I'd wager most "successful" competitors are still memorizing stage plans, though.

And while there are more degrees of freedom to complicate USPSA stage plans, big match IDPA seems to have some stage memorization required as well.

I almost biffed this one, lol.

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I'd wager most "successful" competitors are still memorizing stage plans, though.

And while there are more degrees of freedom to complicate USPSA stage plans, big match IDPA seems to have some stage memorization required as well.

I almost biffed this one, lol.

They memorize 100%, but I'm more focused on the new shooters we need to get into what we do. Big IDPA matches get pretty involved.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star Gear View Post
    They memorize 100%, but I'm more focused on the new shooters we need to get into what we do. Big IDPA matches get pretty involved.
    This is a philosophical opinion only, but I feel newer action pistol shooters would actually be better served by starting with USPSA over IDPA….

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    One of the underrated advantages of IDPA, right here. Getting to shoot from seated positions, in real cars, around real world obstacles, pulling guns out of drawers and other places they often are in the real world, has real actual value for a lot of "average" CCW holders.
    Absolutely. A few months ago I picked up my pistol off the top of a barrel, shot once and.....It turned out that, as I grabbed it, I must have pushed it down a bit and the mag release activated. Fortunately the mag was still in the gun, just 1/2 inch too low. Another one we started seated in the old full size American van w/ gun on center console all windows and doors open, grab gun and shoot target through passenger front window, turn more and shoot out the right side door at a just off the ground target, turn left and shoot between driver door window frame and A piller. Finally get out of the van and shoot through the open driver door window at another target. Go around to the rear door and shoot through it and out the side door. Then shoot around the open rear right side door w/ a shooting position stick on the ground making it a bit of a stretch around the door at a target 30ft away. Sometimes we shoot from a chair at a table, under the van laying on a piece of carpet, or at 6 targets, (one shot each target w/ a shot string strong hand, a string weak hand, a string both hands, starting w/ 8 rnds in the gun, so order your strings to avoid reloading in weak hand string). One time they added to the 6 target stage. In addition to the above, one string had to be standing, one kneeling, and last string sitting on your butt. A good thing idpa did for us old guys and gals, any position other than standing has to be the last shots of the stage. That way the 'getting back up' part is off the timer and the SOs are always ready to lend a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Absolutely. A few months ago I picked up my pistol off the top of a barrel, shot once and.....It turned out that, as I grabbed it, I must have pushed it down a bit and the mag release activated. Fortunately the mag was still in the gun, just 1/2 inch too low. Another one we started seated in the old full size American van w/ gun on center console all windows and doors open, grab gun and shoot target through passenger front window, turn more and shoot out the right side door at a just off the ground target, turn left and shoot between driver door window frame and A piller. Finally get out of the van and shoot through the open driver door window at another target. Go around to the rear door and shoot through it and out the side door. Then shoot around the open rear right side door w/ a shooting position stick on the ground making it a bit of a stretch around the door at a target 30ft away. Sometimes we shoot from a chair at a table, under the van laying on a piece of carpet, or at 6 targets, (one shot each target w/ a shot string strong hand, a string weak hand, a string both hands, starting w/ 8 rnds in the gun, so order your strings to avoid reloading in weak hand string). One time they added to the 6 target stage. In addition to the above, one string had to be standing, one kneeling, and last string sitting on your butt. A good thing idpa did for us old guys and gals, any position other than standing has to be the last shots of the stage. That way the 'getting back up' part is off the timer and the SOs are always ready to lend a hand.
    USPSA does not have that sort of thing? Question not a criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I have no idea. I shoot idpa.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I have no idea. I shoot idpa.
    Yes, I have not attended a USPSA major.

I think the design language of major USPSA events tend to be standardized, so less scenario odd stuff in general.

I don’t think I’ve seen cars nearly as often in USPSA major march videos as I have in IDPA.

My club has monthly IDPA and USPSA. We have a car in front of one of the pistol bays. We drag the car into the bay for every IDPA match, but USPSA does not use it. So maybe it's not allowed?

User Tag List