Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA new 2024 rule book: holsters

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I think that 3 inches for what IDPA claims to be is far too generous but at least it will be clear and easy to make the call now.
    I dunno. Some guns are pretty thick and the holster measurement encompasses the entire width of the gun as well.

Plus it’s not like it’s going to matter much in reality.

From concealed draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I just got the email from IDPA HQ
    Yes, it went out by e-mail and at least on the Book of Faces yesterday morning.

People still shoot IDPA?

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    People still shoot IDPA?
    I know you’re joking, but I feel like there are some distinct benefits and challenges to shooting IDPA at larger matches.

1. Round count accountability. You can’t take make up shots willy nilly like in high cap USPSA.

2. Plan switching requirements. While gaming is silly, managing round counts and positions means that there are mental processing requirements beyond just shooting. The cognitive loading is different and in some ways more nuanced than what I need in USPSA. For example there was a stage I shot that depending on if you made up any shots in the first position you’d go right and have to dump one shot. If you didn’t miss, you’d go left first. While kind of an artificial gaming thing, the cognitive loading and decision making is good practice.

3. Props. Again can be silly, but the opportunity to do more car and barricade work than we traditionally see in USPSA is a lot of fun.

So yes. I shoot IDPA and I shoot USPSA. I like them both for different things.

With the circumscribed shooting positions, footwork isn’t as important in IDPA, which puts more emphasis on the shooting part.

So it’s a different type of test.

I also shoot AIWB from concealment which is a nice change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    People still shoot IDPA?
    Interests
    SIG firearms and IDPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Interests
    SIG firearms and IDPA.
    Relax, it was a joke.

My wife uses this holster mount and a DIY kydex holster. Dang, strapped it on yesterday and the holster is too far offset by about 3/8". Fortunately she only shoots at our IWLA action pistol matches where they don't get real concerned about details. Lots of drop leg rigs, some w/ quick release setups which space the holster out an extra 1/4-1/2inch.
    https://www.blackhawk.com/holsters/h...-44H902BK.html

@CraigS any picture of the setup and the measurement? I’m surprised it doesn’t pass as that’s as slim of a mount as you can get.

Is it because that mount tends to tilt the gun outboard?

She might be able to do the same holster with a BOSS mount.

That mount actually has a fair amount of offset in side view. Then the holster has some built-in offset too.
    Name:  P's holster.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  54.7 KB
    I could re-do the holster and maybe get it within the 3 inches but for her at iwla it doesn't matter. I have one of the first shells I ever made w/ a lot less offset so I pulled it out of the box to mess with. But my pistols have an extended takedown lever that forms a 'gas pedal'. So I need some clearance.
    Name:  Gas pedal.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  40.5 KB
    I have looked at the boss mounts which I like because of the superb adjustability in about every direction but so far I am not seeing an advantage. Over the last 2 years I have experimented a lot. I really like max drop and max offset but idpa is restricting that. This new max width I think is a good rule along w/ 'the butt must be above the belt' so easy to understand and measure. What I have found is, the more drop and/or offset, the more the holster tends to come away from the body at the bottom when overcoming any retention it has. The easy way to fix that is a thigh strap. BTW, for her, that is what we now have since iwla doesn't care. For me though, no strap, so the other way to fix it is a super stiff belt. I got one of the Shooters Connection 'idpa legal' belts and Bladetech hanger. Not useful though. It is basically a two belt system outer belt w/ less velcro. The belt is almost impossible to get through my usual Wrangler belt loops and the hanger is near impossible to get snapped on once the belt is in the pants. And it is even worse to try to release. Currently I am using a Blackhawk paddle mount w/ my diy shell mounted about 1 1/4 inches lower than normal. It isn't as low as I would prefer but it works. I use a Bullhide Belts heavy leather belt w/ steel inside. This combination along w/ virtually no retention works pretty well. Anyone having a recommendation for a better super stiff belt that can still be threaded through pants loops please chime in. And anyone w/ a mount similar to the Bladetech but able to be installed and removed w/ the belt in the loops also please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    3. Props. Again can be silly, but the opportunity to do more car and barricade work than we traditionally see in USPSA is a lot of fun.
    One of the underrated advantages of IDPA, right here. Getting to shoot from seated positions, in real cars, around real world obstacles, pulling guns out of drawers and other places they often are in the real world, has real actual value for a lot of "average" CCW holders.

User Tag List