Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: IDPA new 2024 rule book: holsters

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Consider using the PCSL target instead:

https://supervelammunition.com/pcsl-k-zone-target/

It has a much smaller scoring zone than IDPA and USPSA
    Hmm... thank you! Looking at that target though, I feel the "A" zone is too generous. I'd be tempted to draw a line across the neck/body line and reduce the "A" even more. Easily done though.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Hmm... thank you! Looking at that target though, I feel the "A" zone is too generous. I'd be tempted to draw a line across the neck/body line and reduce the "A" even more. Easily done though.
    In reality, it winds up being reasonably small.

Because the chest A zone is just a little larger than 6x6.

If people go too fast, then they miss over shoulders.

It works pretty well in reality.

And the whole target is about 1/2 the height of a traditional USPSA / IDPA target.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    This is a philosophical opinion only, but I feel newer action pistol shooters would actually be better served by starting with USPSA over IDPA….
    Having started new shooters in both, I’d have to agree.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Serpas are truly scary for new folks. We had a newby and he could just not release the gun and his finger was heading for the trigger when he did. The SO told him to STOP! Also, there were several NDs with them.

The divide between a gaming and an SD realistic rig orientation is just the way it is nowadays. In club matches, get what you can out of the experience. I do worry that the game orientation discourages some folks from joining in. There needs to be a competition version of pickle ball.
    There's part of me that really liked GSSF matches for that. I had already started in USPSA by the time I shot some of those matches, but the environment seemed very friendly to those starting out. Being able to buy a Glock and blue label prices and the random giveaways just sweetens the pot.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    USPSA does not have that sort of thing? Question not a criticism.
    This is a complex answer - because IDPA is scenario based at its core, it tends to lean towards including real world props when possible. USPSA is sport-driven culturally, so it eschews things like "holding a baby" or "open a car door" in favor tasks that isolated to the sport. For example, in USPSA matches I've had to pull a rope to open a port which forces SHO firing. In an IDPA match, that task might be forced by having me hold a simulated baby or something.

There's nothing in the USPSA rulebook that I'm aware of that specifically disallows using real world props and stuff, but culturally there's a significant difference.

Site Supporter
    At IDPA, we did save the baby, doors, etc. Did that once in USPSA. The folks were totally into unrealistic baby holding in order not to lose time. At Givens, we did save the baby and get it behind a truck. I've posted that picture before. One well known trainer got negative points for tossing the baby like Tom Brady behind the truck for a distance so he could get his two handed hold back.

I agree that in most USPSA, anything that diverts from trying to shave time from standard run and gun is frowned upon. It is not a SD oriented game. We did have a match director set up a narrow plank way that you would have to walk down to shoot through various portals or 'doorways'. However, it was determined that the old folk set did not have to 'walk the plank' as a fall might occur, knees were shot or bones were titanium.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    This is a complex answer - because IDPA is scenario based at its core, it tends to lean towards including real world props when possible. USPSA is sport-driven culturally, so it eschews things like "holding a baby" or "open a car door" in favor tasks that isolated to the sport. For example, in USPSA matches I've had to pull a rope to open a port which forces SHO firing. In an IDPA match, that task might be forced by having me hold a simulated baby or something.

There's nothing in the USPSA rulebook that I'm aware of that specifically disallows using real world props and stuff, but culturally there's a significant difference.
    FWIW (since the thread title does reference the IDPA rulebook)-
    For several years now, IDPA rules say that the shooter cannot be penalized for not doing any “non-shooting activities.”
    To quote the first paragraph in chapter 5:
    “After the start signal, penalties for non-shooting actions may not be issued to competitors for their performance on a stage.”

So there’s no more carrying babies or dragging dummies required. Creative stage designers can certainly make props that activate targets, so that shooters need to move them in order to complete the stage, though.

Site Supporter
    Didn't know that. We dragged bodies and had to carry brief cases filled with secret papers and diamonds. I got a penalty for ditching the brief case once. More moving to the time game, I suppose.

I designed a body drag that was a trap for right hands (revenge of the leftists handers). A friend got all turned around, face us with his gun. Oops, just packed up and left the match. Yes, the correct manipulation had nothing to do with 'game' time.

Haven't shot IDPA for awhile, it's an hour and half away and I need to stay closer to home - USPSA is twenty minutes away. Just draw and try to hit the targets well for me with a close to EDC gun.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    FWIW (since the thread title does reference the IDPA rulebook)-
    For several years now, IDPA rules say that the shooter cannot be penalized for not doing any “non-shooting activities.”
    To quote the first paragraph in chapter 5:
    “After the start signal, penalties for non-shooting actions may not be issued to competitors for their performance on a stage.”

So there’s no more carrying babies or dragging dummies required. Creative stage designers can certainly make props that activate targets, so that shooters need to move them in order to complete the stage, though.
    There's still some of that stuff, but to your point you can't get penalized for "carrying the baby wrong" like you could back in the old days.

User Tag List