Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things to Do Near Vegas

We are diminished

Things to Do Near Vegas

My father turned 65 last week and as a birthday gift I told him I was going to take him to Porsche Racing School. He's always been a maniac driver and I thought he'd get a kick out of it. Turns out he wasn't all that interested so we've been discussing alternatives. Much to my surprise, one of the things he said he's always wanted to do was "shoot a machine gun."

He's also a bit of a poker player, and that turned into an idea of spending a few days in Vegas. I know there are some rental places in the vicinity that cater to tourists who want to blast a few mags through some NFA weapons. That's good for an hour or two.

Now I need ideas for the rest of the time we're there. (and please don't say strip clubs... neither of us is doing that)

What are some cool things to do in the Las Vegas area?

(also, what's involved in getting "Glock 19" off my NV permit and having "1911" added?)

Well, if you and he feel like driving, there's always the Grand Canyon a few hours away. The Skywalk Bridge provides an unparalleled view. It can be a bit pricey though.

If you don't want to drive that far, there always the Hoover Dam.

I don't gamble and my wife and I managed to stay pretty busy the couple days we were there... and that was in January. Plenty of good restaurants as well as shows. Check out Blue Man Group if you can too.

That's all I got. Guess I'm pretty boring.

ETA: I don't do strip clubs either... but my wife would go, and not to the all male review either.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Rent a Ferrari and go to the Hoover Dam.
    Titanic exhibit at the Luxor (absolutely amazing if you like historical stuff)
    Helicopter tour of Grand Canyon
    Golfing (go early, it's hot there for some reason)
    Vegas: The Show (cool if you like 'old Vegas)
    Zion National Park (absolutely stunning views)
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

DO NOT go to the Pawn Stars shop. It sucks. We spent most of our time in Vegas just seeing all the sites. Def see the fountain show @ the Bellagio. I would try and catch a Cirque du Soleil show as well. I thought it would be gay, but it's actually really cool.

+1 on the Cirque show. Have seen 3 different ones, all of them were amazing.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Be a fighter pilot for a day:
    http://www.skycombatace.com/

Vegas Touron stuff

1. The Valley of Fire. You can drive/hike as much as you want. It is really beautiful, especially if you like to hike and/or take pictures.
    2. Hoover Dam. It really is that impressive.

There are a variety of parks out in that area similar to the Valley of Fire, but I was really blown away by the place.

Other than that - I highly recommend dinner at Craft Steak in the MGM (Tom Collichio's place).

-shooter

Quote Originally Posted by shooter220 View Post
    1. The Valley of Fire. You can drive/hike as much as you want. It is really beautiful, especially if you like to hike and/or take pictures.
    -shooter
    +100 on the Valley of Fire, truely spectacular; my father took me there before he suffered a stroke. I'll always remember that day.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Whatever budget your wife/mom give you for gambling, double it down on a Division III college football game. If you think a gun fight will get your heart rate up...
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Run out to Red Rocks and go for a hike.
    Catch Penn and Teller at the Rio.
    Shoot a match at Desert Sportsman and marvel at how awesome the ranges are out west...
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

User Tag List