Thread: Tire inflator chuck question…

Tire inflator chuck question…

I have two tire inflators. One is a Makita LXT and the other is a Viair. They both work great, but I’m not a fan of the chucks on them. They are 90 degree type with the lever to lock on a valve stem. I prefer the straight style chucks with the push button lock.

Both inflators have their chucks crimped onto their hoses. Is it okay to cut the old chuck off and secure a new chuck on with a hose clamp? I’d hate to ruin a perfectly functional inflator.

I can’t see why not?

@JCN? @JRB?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I can’t see why not?

@JCN? @JRB?

@Pnut no issue for normal passenger car pressures.

https://www.amazon.com/LUMITECO-infl...xoCDA8QAvD_BwE

Thanks fellas! These inflators are just for my cars… nothing industrial and no more than 30-40 psi.

Site Supporter
    Just use a decent hose barb in a matching size, use a decent hose clamp of the correct-ish size, and use teflon tape or paste on any threaded fittings you need to stack together. I've done similar things countless times and if you do it right, no issues to 150psi.

Site Supporter
    Anybody got a link to a locking chuck?

I was thinking about installing a Jaco brand chuck. I have their inflator/guage that I use with an air compressor and it works great… low profile and seals great. I’ll need to get some adaptors if I want to use it with my inflators though.

https://jacosuperiorproducts.com/col...ir-chuck-2pack

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Anybody got a link to a locking chuck?
    Check out the lock n' flate chuck. I enjoy mine quite a bit. Kinda pricey but well designed.

https://locknlube.com/products/lockn...hoCrYAQAvD_BwE

Update… finally had the time to tackle this project. I went with Jaco brand chucks and had to purchase 1/4” barb to 1/4 NPT fittings for the chucks to crew on to. I simply screwed the chucks onto the with some silicon tape, inserted the fitting into the hose, and secured the fitting into the hose with a clamp.

I went with Jaco due to the price and my familiarity with them. Instead of a big ugly hose clamp, I went with a wire style clamp. I used a ClampTite tool to make the wire clamp. To clean up the look, I covered the wire clamp with some shrink tube.

Just a reminder… slide the shrink tube onto the hose before inserting the fitting/chuck! I forgot the first time and had to cut off the fitting/chuck because it was such a tight fit in the hose.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

User Tag List