Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First Pistol RDS Installed...How Do I Start?

Shooting for the small dot is great for bullseye shooting but for Steel Challenge all you want to see is the dot somewhere on the target. You are after pure speed. Your dot doesn't even have to be on target for you to hit. Your subconscious will get the dot on target for you without you having to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    Shooting for the small dot is great for bullseye shooting but for Steel Challenge all you want to see is the dot somewhere on the target. You are after pure speed.
    Probably a subject for another thread. Teaching to pick a very finite point on a target, regardless of how fast you want to shoot it, is a philosophy of several top level USPSA guys who have already been mentioned upthread. In their views, pun intended, precision of picking up aiming reference doesn't change with speed of shooting. Sight picture stabilization and trigger finger speed do. I don't know if this is something that's accepted in SC circles. Max won plenty of SC championships tho.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

My purpose is for defensive needs so precision/accuracy are more my interests...except where competition techniques contribute.

Regarding recommendations for one gun, that's easy as I only have one with a dot sight and I will be shooting it exclusively during this transition.

Went back to the range today and worked on what I'll call "reverse press out" single shot drills beginning with the gun aimed in. I did most of my shooting at 5 yds, I'm sure it would come as no surprise for anyone with experience that the first thing I tended to see when pressing out is the front sight right in the middle of the optic. By the end of my session I did feel I was making some progress though. Might start using tape to see how that works out.

I also worked on re-aquiring the dot after each shot. This week I'll add some grip tape to certain areas of the pistol so I expect that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    My purpose is for defensive needs so precision/accuracy are more my interests...except where competition techniques contribute.

Regarding recommendations for one gun, that's easy as I only have one with a dot sight and I will be shooting it exclusively during this transition.
    I can appreciate the goal of being precise & accurate, but wouldn’t speed also be a part of your requirements for defensive needs?

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I can appreciate the goal of being precise & accurate, but wouldn’t speed also be a part of your requirements for defensive needs?
    You might want to re-read what I said.

Site Supporter

I also worked on re-aquiring the dot after each shot. This week I'll add some grip tape to certain areas of the pistol so I expect that will help.
    This is why adding an optic to a platform you already have competence with is preferable to trying to learn the dot and a new platform at the same time.

You should not need to consciously “re-acquire” the dot after each shot.

Ideally the dot (or red streak) should stay in the window of the optic, but if not (because small gun /small window) it should still be consistently “returning” to where you are looking.

If you are losing the dot and having to consciously re-acquire that indicates both a grip / structure issue and looking at the dot rather than the target.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is why adding an optic to a platform you already have competence with is preferable to trying to learn the dot and a new platform at the same time.

You should not need to consciously “re-acquire” the dot after each shot.

Ideally the dot (or red streak) should stay in the window of the optic, but if not (because small gun /small window) it should still be consistently “returning” to where you are looking.

If you are losing the dot and having to consciously re-acquire that indicates both a grip / structure issue and looking at the dot rather than the target.
    I agree with what you're saying in general but I was not willing to get the pistols I already have machined for a dot before I had an idea of whether or not it would work for me.

I expect I can still "get there" . This was my second time at the range with it.

Site Supporter
    I agree with what you're saying in general but I was not willing to get the pistols I already have machined for a dot before I had an idea of whether or not it would work for me.

I expect I can still "get there" . This was my second time at the range with it.
    Unless you have a collection of exotic guns, you can usually find either an aftermarket slide already cut for an optic or a spare slide to get cut on eBay or gun broker.

For the in the window thing I would recommend shooting at the berm, watching, what the dot is doing under recoil i.e. where it goes and where it comes back to you, and then adjusting your grip until it moves consistently and returns consistently. You normally don’t wanna look at the dot but this is a specific diagnostic exercise.

Once that sorted out, you can move on to doubles drills with target focus.

Re: acquiring the dot / seeing the front sight first - there is never enough range time, and the dot acquisition thing is best worked in dry practice.

Just work on keeping a target focus and getting the dot to appear where you are looking. Until you are getting that consistently I would not be adding a trigger press.

You might want to re-read what I said.
    Nope, try again

User Tag List