Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Pistol RDS Installed...How Do I Start?

First Pistol RDS Installed...How Do I Start?

I have finally made the change so how should I start learning to use the RDS?

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Sent you a PM.

The biggest thing to remember, in my opinion, is to maintain a target focus with both eyes open. The optic window should be treated like any other window in that you look THROUGH a window to see something on the other side. You don’t look AT a window. One way to train this if you weren’t already shooting iron sights with a target focus is to place a piece of masking tape on the target side of the window. That way if you aren’t target focused with both eyes open all you’ll see is a red dot in blackness without a target. If you’re properly focused on the target with both eyes open, your dominant eye will see the dot and your support eye will see the target. Your brain will overlay the two images together.

The real shooters here will be along shortly, I’m sure. I’m just a scrub high D in Production with no formal dot training. I’m looking forward to the answers you get, because it’s a good question.

I started by mounting it (507C on a Glock 34 at the time) and did a bunch of presentations from the draw. I took it to the range and zeroed it at 15, then shot it at 25 to confirm. Basically rinse and repeat since then, on a couple more guns and a few more optics.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The real shooters here will be along shortly, I’m sure. I’m just a scrub high D in Production with no formal dot training. I’m looking forward to the answers you get, because it’s a good question.

I started by mounting it (507C on a Glock 34 at the time) and did a bunch of presentations from the draw. I took it to the range and zeroed it at 15, then shot it at 25 to confirm. Basically rinse and repeat since then, on a couple more guns and a few more optics.
    Kinda thought there would be a sticky thread on this by now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Kinda thought there would be a sticky thread on this by now.
    Luckily for you there are some great training resources in our area.

Green Ops TX would be my first recommendation. Their next RDS pistol class in our area is in March.

Another would be 303 Solutions (who also AI’s for Green Ops) and has a class coming up in January.

Jedi’s class / info is great- he does classes in our area, but they often sell out far in advance.

Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Luckily for you there are some great training resources in our area.

Green Ops TX would be my first recommendation. Their next RDS pistol class in our area is in March.

Another would be 303 Solutions (who also AI’s for Green Ops) and has a class coming up in January.

Jedi’s class / info is great- he does classes in our area, but they often sell out far in advance.

Sent you a PM.
    Thanks!

I've checked out Jedi's youtube stuff as well as SIG Academy. Kyle Reese also alerted me to the upcoming Green OPS class in Seguin. I might be able to make that one if I can get the support gear together.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Thanks!

I've checked out Jedi's youtube stuff as well as SIG Academy. Kyle Reese also alerted me to the upcoming Green OPS class in Seguin. I might be able to make that one if I can get the support gear together.
    In the mean time, as detailed in the PM, I would recommend getting a couple private lessons from the entities we discussed.

Class is a great follow up but it’s a few months away.

That’s the fun part. Then it’s time to invest in a shot timer, a copy of Steve Anderson dry fire book “refinement and repetition” and that’s when the real work begins.

Maybe 20 to 25% of red dot training is red dot specific. The majority is cleaning up the draw and presentation and ensuring consistency.

If you already have an efficient and consistent draw and presentation, you should have minimal issues finding the dot.

If this is not your one and only defensive gun, I would put on a red dot and hold off on adding back up Iron Sights.

If the back up irons are too tall, they will take up too much of the window and make using the primary siding system much harder than it needs to be.

The other thing is if you were transitioning from irons, and you have back up sites, there is a tendency to want to look for the irons, and then the. Dot as a crutch.

Using the irons to find the dot is slower and less efficient than just using the irons.

It’s not as much of an issue for someone who has never shot before and has started out on a dot but for those transitioning, I personally found running a pure red dot pistol removed the crutch and forced me to adapt to the optic quicker.

Another issue is ensuring you are target focused. You can experiment with this in dry fire and live fire by covering the front of your optic with masking tape.

The idea is similar to the Bendon aiming concept, taught with the old single point sites or the ACOG. If you are focusing on the target, when I will see the target, the other, I will see the red dot and your brain will merge the images.

If you don’t see the red dot floating or superimposed on the target and you just see the red dot and the obstructed optic that means you’re not focusing on the target. Everyone’s eyes are a little bit different. It’s just something you have to play with.

I am a fan of occluding the dot until you get used to being totally target focused. Joel Park, of Practical Shooting Training Group, and Grand Master in USPSA, explains it well:
    https://benstoegerproshop.com/blog/o...-by-joel-park/

User Tag List