Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have an FFL?

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Our last ATF inspection took 8 days... That is normal for a decent sized shop. We only had one IOI on deck for the last one, previous inspection there was three. Dude was a bro tho, and was not looking to burn places down. Was extremely helpful and his main stated goal was to help FFLs maintain compliance. He also made a phone call while on deck to check on my last two pending form 1s from the amnesty, they got approved soon after. I'm not saying all IOIs are like bro dude but he really dispelled a lot of ATF angst that we all had... Now I pretty much laugh when people start loosing it about them and wonder what was actually going on at the shops claiming they are being squeezed by the ATF...
    Makes me think whether there's a difference in programs based on why they're coming out.

For instance, my ex-wife is an OSHA inspector. In addition to the enforcement program, they have a "consultation" program for small businesses...which is basically them coming out and doing an inspection at the request of the business. However, the business won't be cited for any violations nor does findings of violations put them on a naughty list for scrutiny in the future...rather, it's meant to be a collaborative process to help the business identify and rectify any problems....to encourage good behavior for businesses too small to hire dedicated safety program managers, essentially. (Side note to all business owners here, you should really avail yourselves of this opportunity..."it's on you" if you don't and you have nobody else to blame but yourself).

I have no idea how the ATF IOI goes about their business, but what you described sounds pretty similar.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This was our " biennial" inspection of which we have had three total in over ten years of being open, dude told us they probably won't be back to inspect again for 3 to 4 years due to manpower and numbers of shops... We were a little aprehensive at first just due to all the word going around on the internet about how they were yanking liscenses for minor admin stuff but as we went through all the books and the inventory dude was cool and didnt hit us for anything that technically could be counted as a "violation" but instead had us correct it. Focus seemed to be on having proper info, not catching you in gotchas... Like I said can't say every IOI operates this way but it was good to see that the agency actually has some people who want to see you succeed. Makes me wonder if the places getting ate up are all assed up or combative with them or both. To me the entire process was exactly like a CGRI that you were all prepped and prepared for...Nothing to hide, nothing to find...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Makes me wonder if the places getting ate up are all assed up or combative with them or both. .
    Distinct possibility. Again drawing from my ex's experience in regulatory enforcement, the only places that really got hammered were places that got combative. That's not because she decided to make life terrible for them as retribution, it's because they wouldn't address things before she sent in the report. Worst case she's dealt with is when you refuse to let in the OSHA inspector and they have to come back with a warrant and state troopers for her to conduct the inspection. IIRC that action alone raises all violations to a "willfull" level where the fines are exponentially heavier, whereas many of the fines previously under normal circumstances would usually be voided for small businesses even if the violation was substantiated. Even if ATF IOI doesn't have the same programmatic functions as OSHA, I betcha' a dollar you could get an IOI and OSHA inspector in the same room and their stories on businesses being positively obstinate and causing their own trouble would be near identical, as well as their mindset on facilitating business instead of being out to get you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Can confirm this new round of ATF stuff was surprisingly easy and chill. We just had a thorough going-through with an ATF IOI about 3 months ago.

Dude was *astonishingly* helpful and chill. He was 100% stalwart professional but very easygoing the entire time. But I felt like I'd honestly enjoy drinking beers with the guy. He was that cool and easy to work with.
    While we went though everything, he found a few mistakes we had to correct with previous customers (correcting minor admin items on 4473's) but nothing big, and after reviewing our bound books the he made the comment 'you guys obviously aren't selling guns to dirtbags'.

I know other FFL's have had to make similar calls recently, even large chains. Our ATF guy said that they had to do an in depth review on every single FFL in the state and it was going to take 'a very long time' until they came back around to re-check.

But most noteworthy was in that previously-mentioned kerfluffle with our business license, our ATF IOI guy actually got involved on our behalf and offered to call the city to explain how and why a kitchen table FFL that operated by referral and appointment only was not a 'retail business'. He said he'd gotten the ATF Regional Director to make similar phone calls to various local Gov't types that wanted to make things a problem over some misunderstanding. My buddy and I were absolutely floored.

I didn't mention any of that in my first post because I honestly didn't think anyone would have believed me. I thought we'd hit the lotto on cool ATF guys.

So yeah, after that experience, I couldn't but wonder what it'd genuinely take to get hemmed up with them on something. It'd have to be egregiously breaking the law, or being incredibly hostile and uncooperative with the ATF, or both.

User Tag List