Thread: 410 Buckshot besides OOO Buck?

410 Buckshot besides OOO Buck?

The OOO buckshot in 410 looks like a useful nich load for the 410, and it seems to pattern very tightly at 7 to 10 yards probably because it is near bore size (my guess).

Just Wondering if No 1 Buckshot or Single O stacks very well in 410 shell? Those are my preferred home defense Buckshot sizes.

The only other ones I’ve seen are 00 and #4.
    I tried the Aguila 2.5” 4 pellet 00 and didn’t pattern well in my shockwave or M6 survival rifle. I think the larger 000 hug the bore better then 00.
    The .410 #4 buckshot tests I’ve seen online don’t seem to pattern that well either. There isn’t much room in a skinny shell to stack pellets properly like a 12 gauge can with 8 00 buck.

Is recoil from 12 Ga minishells significantly greater than .410? I like 8+1 of 4Buck at 1200fps...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Is recoil from 12 Ga minishells significantly greater than .410? I like 8+1 of 4Buck at 1200fps...
    Not really.
    But the gun is bigger and heavier.
    There’s something so cool about a slim little 410.
    I prefer 5x000 over 15x #4 personally.
    8 rounds is nice over 4 though.

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    Not really.
    But the gun is bigger and heavier.
    There’s something so cool about a slim little 410.
    I prefer 5x000 over 15x #4 personally.
    8 rounds is nice over 4 though.
    So the 12 gauge mini shells in the heavier 12 gauge platform is roughly comparable to lighter 410 w OOO buckshot?

I haven’t shot them back to back.
    It isn’t really apples to apples either considering how different my setups are.
    My 410 shockwave is running slick.
    And my 12 gauge model has a Holosun 403, forend light, recoil strap and rubber grip wrap.

Raw recoil energy for a 4.5lb shockwave with a typical 5x000 buckshot load is around 16.6 ft/lb.
    A 5.5lb 12 gauge Shockwave with a 15 pellet #4 short shell is 13.2 ft/lb.
    So it’s clearly less and would be even more so with all the extra stuff I have on my particular gun.
    I don’t find the 410 objectionable in any way but it’s not as quick for follow up shots.
    I kinda enjoy running it slick though.
    Feels smooth and unencumbered.

I have a few boxes of the short #4 12 gauge shells but my shockwave doesn’t pattern them near as well as the 410 does the 000.
    I also feel like the #4 buckshot probably relies on a denser pattern to have good terminal effect. Once it starts to spread I think it would be sacrificing some interaction between the pellets in the wound channel and losing its capability. That’s just my feelings though.Name:  IMG_3120.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  40.1 KB
    Last edited by diananike; 12-17-2023 at 08:06 PM.

User Tag List