Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Ankle Carry?

The only way ankle carry seems to work for me is if I’m wearing a 7” or 9” hiking boot or similar for the rig to sit on (and then, it eventually wears the top of the boot). Otherwise the whole deal seems to eventually slide down my calf and practically rest on top of my foot (calf strap or not).

I carried a S&W Model 36 in an ankle rig pretty much daily for about 12 or 13 years. Then I began carrying a G26 on my ankle for the next ten years or so.

I've used ankle holsters from Renegade and Galco for the most part...with a DeSantis thrown in along the way.

The right rig makes a world of difference. Haven't carried on the ankle much since I retired...though I do have one for my 642.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Yes, With Guns As Large As SP101 & G26

I used Alessi and then Ritchie ankle holsters for decades, for handguns up to and including the Ruger SP101 and Glock G26. My PD-issued duty trousers had ample clearance to conceal such guns quite decently. FEW of my “civilian” trousers do a good job of even covering the ankle rig, much less concealing it, so, I rarely wear ankle rigs, since retiring, but, such trousers probably still exist, for those who want to find them. Of course, less-bulky ankle rigs, and J-Frames or smaller, are simpler to conceal, so, finding trousers should be simplified.

A short-topped boot helps. This used to be called “chukka” style. My personal favorites are the Danner Mountain Lite and Danner Patrol. If the holster can rest on the top of the boot shaft, the strap need not be so tight, around the leg.

Smartwool socks, or a true Merino wool equivalent, are a tremendous help. Smartwool socks work well, even in humid, subtropical SE Texas.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I use ankle carry infrequently. I used to do it more regularly when we were authorized the PM9 as a secondary. I find our currently mandated Glock 26 secondary to be entirely unusable as an ankle gun, so I only rarely carry an ankle gun these days with the Glock 42 for similar off duty events as previously mentioned by others.

Minor changes in holster position can make a big difference on comfort, and often times I will need to go into a restroom to adjust it. Boots>shoes, as previously mentioned. Dress slacks will ride up and reveal it, whereas looser casual slacks and jeans work better.

Use the lightest gun possible. Adding significant weight on your ankle can be physiological hell for your knee and hips. There are people here that report carrying a Glock 26 long term a-okay, but every single person I know in meatspace that ankle carried a Glock 26 or Glock 27 (all current or former patrol cops) ended up with some sort of temporary ailment that discontinued the practice, and in one case ended up in physical therapy (he's in very good physical shape, btw). You've already decided on a j-frame or LCR...both great choices...so I mention this just to point out that it may make a difference if you choose the lighter options within those two lineups.

Maybe you'd be fine with a steel J-frame or a 357 LCR, which have their advantages for shooting such as greater weight to soak up recoil, longer extractor rods on the 357 models to allow more positive ejection, etc. However, given your body already seems to be sensitive to physiological afflictions, it might make more sense to get the lightest gun to head off any potential issues. This sounds like it might even be a great time to choose a scandium J.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I've carried a SIG 239, a Glock 27, and a Shield in a DeSantis Apache ankle holster. I eventually decided carry on my body armor was a better option. I had high hopes for the Boot-Lok, but for whatever reason, the combination of my boot and the holster made it look like I had a severe compound fracture of the ankle.

I'll echo other contributors to not skimp on your holster. While you want to carry what you want to carry, the lighter and smaller the gun, the easier it will be to carry on the ankle.

I regularly carry my G26 on my ankle in a Galco holster. Wilderness Renegadexare GTG. I have no issues carrying there.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Yet another vote for the Galco ankle holsters. As has been previously mentioned the right holster choice makes all the difference.

I've been wearing a G26 daily for almost 15 years in the Galco ankle glove holster without any issues. Just dress around the gun. Boot cut jeans work great for concealment and ease of draw. With an ankle med kit on my other leg, it balances out the weight and makes it comfortable. The velcro seems to last me about 3-4 years with daily carry before I have to replace the rig.

Site Supporter
    What kind of medical kits are all of you carrying on your ankles? I use a Dark Angel Medical ankle kit in business casual attire during the summer, and it is only about 10 ounces. This weight does not seem to be enough to balance out much on the other ankle.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    What kind of medical kits are all of you carrying on your ankles?
    I used the Ryker; albeit I only packed at TQ, a bandage, my EDC light, and a Ti Perrin, during the work day.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Pretty sure years ago I read article about or by Clint Smith's wife Heidi about her carry guns and she carried pair of J frames, one on each ankle, besides whatever she was carrying on the belt.
    The times I spent at Thunder Ranch, I often saw Heidi with a Glock 19 on her ankle.

I ankle carried a 26 and a 42 but my footwear changed to mostly Muck Boots, I sold off the ankle holsters.

26 was a brick. 42 better. I liked it and wish I was more committed.

User Tag List