Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Ankle Carry?

Experience with Ankle Carry?

I never looked at ankle carry because of pain issues in the past, funny thing is with physical therapy and etc for chronic pain and other issues my knees are pain free now, wish rest of me was.

Anyway I use pocket carry as primary method for CCW because my chronic issues cause debilitating pain with any form of IWB carry.

But looking at trying ankle carry as compliment ot pocket carry. i have always thought ankeland pocket carry compliment each other, with pocket carry being good except when seated, while ankle is good while seated in most cases.

So looking for people's experience with ankle carry, thinking J frame or LCR.

I carried an ankle gun as a BUG from day 3 of my career, mostly a 442 in a Galco Ankle Glove.
    It's a very good way to carry a BUG, allowing access while seated or on the ground with either hand.
    Other than off body carry, it's the last choice for primary carry.
    Not everyone can tolerate it for one reason or another, and it requires an amount of wardrobe adjustment. There are definite weight and size limits, I carried a G26 for a couple of years and it started bugging my knee. That's probably the upper limit in weight and form factor, IMO.
    Don't bother with a cheap holster, they either waste your money through shittiness or by giving you no real feedback on the system.
    Galco, DeSantis and the Wilderness versions are generally well respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I never looked at ankle carry because of pain issues in the past, funny thing is with physical therapy and etc for chronic pain and other issues my knees are pain free now, wish rest of me was.

Anyway I use pocket carry as primary method for CCW because my chronic issues cause debilitating pain with any form of IWB carry.

But looking at trying ankle carry as compliment ot pocket carry. i have always thought ankeland pocket carry compliment each other, with pocket carry being good except when seated, while ankle is good while seated in most cases.

So looking for people's experience with ankle carry, thinking J frame or LCR.
    Best thing to do is buy an ankle holster that is high-quality or well-known and try it. If it doesn’t work out sell it.

Also, if you use the Google function in the upper right hand corner, there is a shit ton of discussions.

You’ll never know for sure till you wear one all day for several days.

I tried a steel frame Model 60 years ago and it was painful. I got a 640 and a 642 when they came out and the 642 was much more comfortable to carry. I’ve tried a variety of holsters over the last 30+ years. The no longer available Renegade carried the best for me. I hear the current Wilderness version is pretty good. I have Galco for my Shield Plus and a Desantis for my Bodyguard 380. So far they are pretty good but I’ve not worn them as much.

I carried a Kahr K9 in an ankle rig for most of my career. The best advice I can give is, don't skimp on the holster. I used an Alessi and never regretted it. That was after initially going cheap with an Uncle Mike's sausage sack.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    In addition to a good holster as discussed above, use the lightest gun possible.

I have carried a Detective Special and Glock 26 on my ankle, and it is NOT something I would want to do in a regular basis. A S&W 442 or Ruger .38 LCR (not the larger caliber, heavier LCR’s) would be a good way to define an upper weight limit.

Make sure that the holster has good padding between the gun and your leg. Sheep’s wool is good with soft, elastic ankle bands like the Wilderness/Renegade or Galco, but will not protect from the edges of a leather ankle band. A leather ankle band needs felt that extends past the edge of the leather.

Your pants will need to be as long as possible without dragging on the ground. A small amount of bagginess helps keep them from rising up too much when sitting, getting in and out of care, etc.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Ankle carry is a great way to have a gun near you when you can’t carry normally. We aren’t allowed a BUG at work so my only experience is with a 442 in a Galco ankle rig. It works pretty good and is my go to for stuff like weddings when I’m in a suit and will be doing a lot of hugging with people who I don’t necessarily want to know I’m armed.

I was allowed to carry in a NPE for almost a year and half. Due to dress code and my Teutonic-orangutan build most of that was with a G43 in a Wilderness ankle rig. It was pretty awesome. I also counter-balanced with a Ryker med kit on the other ankle.

Now, I find myself using the Wilderness+LCR a lot. It just works well for life with little kids. Lots of trade offs, but comfortable. In the warmer months, I pretty much live in board shorts and flip flops so that’s Enigma but I feel like ankle carry is a very unique, but good, option to have the appropriate equipment for.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I have a Galco ankle holster that I sometimes carry a Glock 43 in. I’ve tried carrying a 26 on my ankle and it was almost too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I was allowed to carry in a NPE for almost a year and half. Due to dress code and my Teutonic-orangutan build most of that was with a G43 in a Wilderness ankle rig. It was pretty awesome. I also counter-balanced with a Ryker med kit on the other ankle.

Now, I find myself using the Wilderness+LCR a lot. It just works well for life with little kids. Lots of trade offs, but comfortable. In the warmer months, I pretty much live in board shorts and flip flops so that’s Enigma but I feel like ankle carry is a very unique, but good, option to have the appropriate equipment for.
    Pretty sure years ago I read article about or by Clint Smith's wife Heidi about her carry guns and she carried pair of J frames, one on each ankle, besides whatever she was carrying on the belt.

User Tag List