Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magtech Steel 115-grain 9mm - any good?

Magtech Steel 115-grain 9mm - any good?

Anybody tried this? Price is attractive. I have some on the way, range report to follow

Not that exact round, but Magtech in general.

I've found them to leave behind a white flaky residue in the pistol. Not unburned powder, but almost an ash.

Haven't case gauged them, but they seem to be slightly oversized in the web area. So much so, that a 10 round mag will only fit 9, with the 10th being forced in, and an 18 rounder only fitting 17. This is over multiple mags and multiple lots of ammo. I will not purchase them again. Hopefully this new offering works better for you. Looking forward to your observations.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Anybody tried this? Price is attractive. I have some on the way, range report to follow
    I haven't tried the steel case stuff but I'm interested. I hate leaving reloadable brass on the ground and am not a fan of Blazer, either aluminum or brass. Looking forward to the report!

I went through a case of regular 115-grain Magtech with no problems, including through my tight-chambered P99Cs.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

YouTube video from True-Shot ammo is promising. They ran several hundred rounds through a Glock with no issues. Cases are Boxer primed. Same bullet and powder charge as Magtech brass cased ammo, or so they say. My plan is to sandbag groups at 25 yards, chronograph from my Beretta 92FS and to pull a round down to measure bullet diameter, etc. Both my Berettas are .357 groove with chrome-lined bores and they like "fat" bullets.

My 92FS has the heavy duty recoil spring intended for M882 and +P ammo. Will be interesting to see if this stuff cycles without having to swap out for standard recoil spring.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-16-2023 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post

Haven't case gauged them, but they seem to be slightly oversized in the web area. So much so, that a 10 round mag will only fit 9, with the 10th being forced in, and an 18 rounder only fitting 17. This is over multiple mags and multiple lots of ammo. I will not purchase them again. Hopefully this new offering works better for you. Looking forward to your observations.
    What pistol were you shooting them in?
    Factory OEM barrel or after-market?
    Original OEM mags or after market?

Fed neighbor is a Glock guy, so I can ask him to come out and play.

I have max cartridge gage so I can check rounds in addition to "plunk" test.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-16-2023 at 09:52 PM.

Looking forward to range report

Magtech has always been very good for me

I would not do steel for a $20-25 savings per case. YMMV

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Looking forward to range report

Magtech has always been very good for me

I would not do steel for a $20-25 savings per case. YMMV

Good Luck
    But would you for $100 per tbousand? If not, why not?

But would you for $100 per tbousand? If not, why not?
    The website you linked shows a $1.50 ish a box @ 20 boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    The website you linked shows a $1.50 ish a box @ 20 boxes
    I did not post a link to where I bought the ammo. ONLY referenced the YouTube video.

I did not post a link to where I bought the ammo. ONLY referenced the YouTube video.
    Sorry, I looked it up. So how much did you find a case of steel Magtech 115 for? Quick scan of Ammoseek shows $1.00 box difference for 115 brass vs steel

User Tag List