Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canik METE MC9 - Anyone here tried one?

Canik METE MC9 - Anyone here tried one?

After fruitless searches here, has anyone tried this pistol (besides me)?

I've been looking for a more "cost efficient" set-up to make the leap into the micro 9 RDS world and after checking out the SIG 365, S&W Shield Plus and Hellcat, I went with this one. It provides a bit more grip surface for me, 12+1 rd capacity, 3 back straps and is pre-cut for the optic. Seems like it has a lot going for it on the surface but time will tell.

To date I've only zeroed the sight and put 60 rds through it with no problems up front.

If anyone here has any experience I'd be interested in hearing about it.

The Canik reddit is filled with malfunctions, design flaws, stories of warranties, etc. It also has a good amount of posts of people who have a flawless one and experienced no issues at all.

I rented it at a range once and it had RTB and FTF issues. That being said, I was so impressed by how it shoots that I have one on order myself.

Most seem to agree that it is an excellent shooter especially for the size. We are all hoping that Century Arms is working on the fixes as some have had the issues remedied after sending them in.

Quote Originally Posted by porkster View Post
    The Canik reddit is filled with malfunctions, design flaws, stories of warranties, etc. It also has a good amount of posts of people who have a flawless one and experienced no issues at all.

I rented it at a range once and it had RTB and FTF issues. That being said, I was so impressed by how it shoots that I have one on order myself.

Most seem to agree that it is an excellent shooter especially for the size. We are all hoping that Century Arms is working on the fixes as some have had the issues remedied after sending them in.
    That's why I asked here, where most know what's up with a pistol vs likely shooter induced problems. I don't normally buy new models right out of the gate but this one has been out almost a year so I took the gamble. Out of the box, I cleaned/inspected/lubed/function checked the pistol. BEFORE I purchased it, I made sure the mags dropped free and locked the slide back.

So far no problems.

I've got about 700 rounds of FMJ through mine so far with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    I've got about 700 rounds of FMJ through mine so far with no issues.
    How would you compare it to other pistols in the size category?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    How would you compare it to other pistols in the size category?
    I like it overall, and it was a total impulse purchase at the beginning of last summer. Mine doesn't even have an optic yet. For me, with 3XL hands, it's easier to grip and shoot well compared to my 365, and I like it with the 15 round mags. If my example continues to prove its reliability with FMJ and about 250 rounds of duty ammo, I'd consider selling the 365 and using this for summer carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    I like it overall, and it was a total impulse purchase at the beginning of last summer. Mine doesn't even have an optic yet. For me, with 3XL hands, it's easier to grip and shoot well compared to my 365, and I like it with the 15 round mags. If my example continues to prove its reliability with FMJ and about 250 rounds of duty ammo, I'd consider selling the 365 and using this for summer carry.
    Largely the same reasoning for me. Tried the smaller pistols and just couldn't get enough grip surface. I have installed a 407K on it already.

A couple of copy and pastes that I wote for a different audience but you may find something useful.

Last weekend as well as this last Friday and Saturday I shot a number of drills over 3 different handguns to get some ideas on performance comparison. The point was to test my 365XL against my Canik MC9 but I also decided to run a full size gun as a control. For this I used my current IDPA match gun a sorta Sig Legion X-carry. The drills I used were as follows.

FBI handgun qualification.

I felt like this was a good range of speed and accuracy requirements out of a carry gun. I have also shot IDPA matches with all 3 guns to see that comparison as well.

I kept pretty detailed notes but won't list it all out here. I will say up front that by the numbers themselves the differences weren't huge, but the actual feel and confidence left a big gap. That gap gets even bigger in a match.

320 Legion X-Carry Sig custom works slide, killer innovations barrel, Trijicon SRO RD with OWB IDPA gear
    Double Add 1 on 3X5 = 9/10
    5 yard Round up = 98/100 points
    Old Bakersfield Qual on IDPA target= Clean, in times.
    "New" FBI pistol qual on IDPA target= 98/100

Sig 365XL w/Wilson grip, Holosun 6moa EPS carry, AIWB
    Double Add 1 on 3X5= 9/10
    5 yard round up= 89/100 (note only dropped 1 point but last SHO shot was overtime for minus 10)
    Bakersfield Qual on IDPA target= -1 point at the 20 but first 3 strings were overtime. The penalty on this is not a severe as 5yd R.U.
    "New" FBI pistol qual on IDPA target= 92/100 1 shot outside "bottle"

Canik MC9 with TF brass backstrap and Holosun 6 moa EPS Carry AIWB
    Double Add 1 on 3X5= 8/10
    5 yard round up= 86/100 (-4 and last SHO shot was again overtime.)
    Old Bakersfield qual on IDPA target= -2, first 3 strings overtime.
    "NEW" FBI Qual on IDPA target= 92/100 all in "bottle".

So in short I will say that anything that didn't involve one hand shooting, long rapid fire strings, and reloading was pretty close. Once those things were involved, especially the one handed stuff, the heavier full size gun and full size glass made a pretty substantial difference. It was pretty much a wash between the 365XL and the MC9 though I will say I seemed to shoot the 365 a touch better. The Canik felt much better in the hand, as a lefty reloaded easier, and after 100 rounds in relatively short timeframe was zero pain.

Some other things to note, I modified the scoring and targets a bit in some of these out of convenience but kept them apples to apples. This made the FBI one harder (it is super easy to pass), the Bakersfield one easier (it is pretty difficult), the 5 yard round up identical to original, and the Double Add 1 just a little different.

Summary and conclusion,

So this is just a start obviously, 108 rounds through the Canik MC9 today. No malfunctions or problems of any kind with the gun. As far as objective standards the gun did well enough and under more favorable conditions I think it will do better. Subjectively it feels better in the hand than my G43 and as good as the Sig XL with the Wilson combat grip module. The trigger is better than either of those. For whatever reason recoil seems to be soaked up better as it is a very easy shooting pistol for something of this size. Accuracy remains to be seen. It has a good start on reliability and hopefully that continues. At first glance it seems it may fill the role I have set out for it.

Things I need to do. Get a proper lefty holster. Get a different front sight. Get some more magazines.

I have tried the longer mags in the MC9 now and they do function. While on the subject of functioning I ran the MC9 in an IDPA type charity match today and ran into some issues. I had a light primer strike in one stage which I can't blame on the gun yet. That was using previously reliable New Republic 115 grain FMJ's that through 1,000's of rounds in other guns has not had an issue. More disturbing than that was another stage where I had a couple of malfunctions including a failure to feed where I had to unload and reload the gun to get it back up and running. This cost me some time in the match and could have been real bad IRL. I am also coming to the conclusion that about the smallest gun I can still shoot well enough for me is the Sig 365XL. As I mention in the above comparo the Canik has some good points and in drills it holds its own, but once you get to a match type setting, for me, it starts to fall behind. That is not really a knock on the MC9 but more of an indictment on any guns that size and smaller for real performance.

As it stands right now, the MC9 won't be taking over for the 365XL for EDC. As a matter of fact, I am giving serious consideration to up sizing though of course for many of us that can be easier said than done, especially at work.
    Attachments

Name:  PXL_20231119_004930931.MP.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  43.8 KB

User Tag List