Thread: Sellier & Bellot .223 77gr OTM

Sellier & Bellot .223 77gr OTM

Does someone know for sure what bullet this cartridge is loaded with? It doesn't mention anywhere using a Sierra bullet, and the ammunition is slightly cheaper than other manufacturers OTM rounds that do use Sierra bullets, so I suspect S&B might be using their own bullet in this round. But this is just a quess, hence my question.

Has anyone done any gelatin tests with this ammunition?

That's an interesting question, I kind of just defaulted to assuming it was the same SMK as everyone else. I'm hoping to group some it against IMI today.

Any more on this? I have a couple of rifles that really love the Razor Core, but lower cost options would be good. I get extremely good accuracy with the S&B 125 grn 300blk out of my X95, which is not typically known for exceptional accuracy, so I would hope for good things from them.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    Any more on this? I have a couple of rifles that really love the Razor Core, but lower cost options would be good. I get extremely good accuracy with the S&B 125 grn 300blk out of my X95, which is not typically known for exceptional accuracy, so I would hope for good things from them.
    I wasn’t able to shoot rifle yesterday but am going to try and squeeze it in tomorrow. I’m mainly focused on grouping a newish 13.9 Core but may be able to shoot a few rifles. Wish I had the new Garmin chrono though. Couldn’t tell you about the components, I don’t know anything besides what’s written on the box.

I didn’t have time to shoot a lot but I put a few groups of IMI and S&B through the 13.9 at 100yds. I should be able to find the time to do a Ballistic-X analysis but they were fairly similar for me. The IMI may have been a bit tighter but without measuring the groups, it’s hard to say. POI was very similar too.

Went out of town and forgot about this, just now getting back to it. Tapatalk made it easy to post photos so without that, I'm just putting the info from Ballistic-X is below. The groups kind of suck to be honest, I never shoot 10 round groups and I don't think I've ever grouped below one inch at 100yards. I've had some uppers get just above an inch with five rounds I think, but its pretty uncommon in my experience. I'm hoping the barrel will tighten up a little as its broken in and some point, I want to get a higher magnification scope to try out.

Rifle
    13.9 Core with SFMB, round count was at about 125 before these groups
    Geissele SD-E
    Razor 1-10
    Zero'd for 56gr MEN (I think, maybe 55gr Igman)

IMI
    Group size: 2.347"
    MOA: 2.241
    ATZ: Down 1.92" / Right 1.34"

S&B
    Group size: 2.931"
    MOA: 2.799
    ATZ: Down 2.13" / Right 1.62"

No velocity or gel info. Both groups had one flyer, both low left. The IMI group was tighter now that I look again and the flyer was further from the rest of the group than the S&B's flyer. All hits from S&B were visible, the IMI had one pair that were in the same hole but still distinguishable but also a different impact hole that I think is two rounds on top of eachother but barely distinguishable.

ETA - just went back and watched the video, I definitely shot 10 rounds of IMI but forgot that I miscounted after nine so that 10th round was shot separately. I’m not sure if that was the flyer or not.

ETA 2 - more data points below.

Same day and setup, the below groups actually preceded the above targets so round counts for these started at about 80. For each target, I fired two five round groups. The first was unsuppressed, the second was suppressed with an SF Mini. I typically will shoot entirely separate targets but was trying to save time so I have only moderate confidence as to which impacts belong to each string of fire.

IMI unsuppressed
    Group size: 1.288"
    MOA: 1.230 MOA
    ATZ: Down 1.92" / Right 1.75"

IMI suppressed
    Group size: 1.548"
    MOA: 1.479 MOA
    ATZ: Down 2.68" / Right 0.6"

S&B unsuppressed
    Group size: 1.410"
    MOA: 1.346 MOA
    ATZ: Down 2.67" / Right 1.05"

S&B suppressed
    Group size: 1.642"
    MOA: 1.568 MOA
    ATZ: Down 1.87" / Right 0.40"
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-24-2023 at 12:55 PM.

I completely forgot to reply to this thread. Finally had a chance to shoot some of the S&B ammo for groups, and I had a box of GGG ammo loaded with 77 grain Sierra Match Kings as a comparison.

To be honest, I wasn't especially impressed with the accuracy of the S&B rounds. I don't have the exact numbers available right now, but 10 shot group size difference between the two rounds was definitely noticeable at 150 meters. Let's say 9cm to 10cm groups, compared to GGG's 6cm to 7cm groups. So not useless, by any means, just not especially impressive either for an OTM rounds costing about $1.5 per round. Point of impact was a bit higher, so the S&B might be loaded a bit hotter. Still no clue as to what bullet they use at S&B to load these with.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

If the S&B used a Sierra 77gr bullet they would most likely advertise it.

FWIW, I recently found out BHA loads the D556N9 5.56 OTM load with a Hornady produced 77gr OTM ( only produced for Black Hills )
    This started March'ish of 2023.

The current Mk262 load still uses the Sierra 77gr MK... both loads are held to the same accuracy requirements, but the D556N9 doesn't have to meet / pass all the other various Uncle Sugar requirements ( sealant, and stuff like that )

Another load, from Federal Gold Medal Center Strike 77gr OTM , uses the Center Strike 77gr ... made by Federal.

PSA / AAC makes their "own" 77gr OTM

Where I am going with all this is... It wouldn't surprise me one bit, if other ammo companies make their own 77gr OTM's.

User Tag List