Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was It The Gun Or The Ammo

Was It The Gun Or The Ammo

Today I brought my vehicle in for service. I was right across the street from Shooter's World, and indoor shooting range, so I asked if I could borrow an electric wheelchair so I could visit the range. They gave me a new chair and sent me on my way. It was a short ride but exciting. These new chairs have lots of speed.

Well, I made it to the range. Picked up a Ruger Mark IV Target, a box of Aguilla .22 ammo, eye and ear protection and I was off to the range. I only bought 50 rounds because I only had a half an hour to shoot.

I had 14 failures to fire. Some fired on the second try and 8 fired on the third try.

Range guns are notorious for not being cleaned but was it the gun or the ammo? I've had bad luck with Aguilla before..

It was a satisfying visit. At least I got out and shot..

I would guess a really dirty shooting range gun first. Aguila has a decent reputation I think.

Rugers don't like a lot of ammo. My MKII and my friends MK IV won't shoot Aguila ammo. They don't like some other brands either. They will shoot CCI SV however.

So it's both.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    my ruger MKIV has no love for aguila. But the M9-22 shoots it fine.

Got an MKIV roughly a year ago. I really like Aguila 9mm 124 when I can find it, so I picked up a box of Aguila .22. Thought the gun sucked, some mags it wouldn’t feed a single round. It was probably here that I read the MKIV and Aguila have a frosty relationship. Got some different ammo and since then it’s run like a top.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    Range guns are notorious for not being cleaned but was it the gun or the ammo? I've had bad luck with Aguilla before..
    My money is on both of those things. I'd also bet that the wrong lube, tired springs, dimples near where the firing pin strikes the breech face, and other general wear on the pistol are involved.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have experienced more primer voids in Aguilla rimfire ammo than any other brand. When you get a misfire in a proven gun and spin the cartridge 45 degrees+ in the chamber and hit it again and it fires, a primer void/dead spot is a reasonable conclusion. Although with a range gun I also suspect both could be the contributors.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Got an MKIV roughly a year ago. I really like Aguila 9mm 124 when I can find it, so I picked up a box of Aguila .22. Thought the gun sucked, some mags it wouldn’t feed a single round. It was probably here that I read the MKIV and Aguila have a frosty relationship. Got some different ammo and since then it’s run like a top.
    I like Aguila 9mm too. Just got a bunch of 124gr from Ammo Planet, twas 11.99/box.

Name:  Blown cases_edited.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  40.1 KB

The main reason I don't trust Aguilla. These two cases ruptured in my Colt 1911-22. After that I sold all the Aguilla I had in stock.

I’ve shot a lot of it, never any issues. That said it could have been a bad box/lot.

I had something strange happen to me today with Winchester M22, it’s far from my favorite but usually it works well enough.

This morning I was shooting my Glock 44, gun has 11,000 rounds fired never any issues with it. I’ve probably put 1000 rounds of M22 thought it without issue before, but this morning running some drills after about 40 rounds running great I started getting some key holing and then accuracy went to all hell,shotgun pattern when not key holing. Broke it down and looked at the barrel, leaded to hell. The gun was cleaned and lubed prayer to shooting today, so in about 40 rounds it was leaded to the point accuracy was completely gone. I’ve never had a leading issue with the gun before, even with M22, the only thing I can figure is a bad box/lot.

User Tag List