Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alex Garland's Civil War

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Agreed. The sequence with Jesse Plemmons was definitely the highlight of the movie. That’s when things became much more real and personal to the more experienced journalists who had all become so used to war that it didn’t seem to bother them anymore. I enjoyed it. There were a few things that made me roll my eyes, primarily that both sides wore identical multicam uniforms. I get that multicam is the uniform of the Army and Air Force so it’s plentiful and that eases movie making logistics, but that would sure make differentiating friend from foe quite difficult. The ending was also pretty easy to see coming. I don’t agree with the critics saying that not delving into the background of the war took away from the storyline. That wasn’t the point of the movie. It doesn’t matter how the war started with regards to telling the story of the journalists.
    If you've seen photos or videos of the fighting in Ukraine, you'll see both Russian and Ukrainian troops wearing Multicam. (You'll also see a lot of guys with brightly colored armbands and tape on their helmets and whatnot, so they can tell which Multicam-wearing troops are friendly today and which are hostile.)
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    If you've seen photos or videos of the fighting in Ukraine, you'll see both Russian and Ukrainian troops wearing Multicam. (You'll also see a lot of guys with brightly colored armbands and tape on their helmets and whatnot, so they can tell which Multicam-wearing troops are friendly today and which are hostile.)
    The photos of Russian and Ukrainian troops I’ve seen have them in different uniforms although the camo patterns are similar enough looking that they employ IFF indicators like the armbands. I would have loved to see something like the armbands we see in the Ukraine war photos. In this movie both sides had identical uniforms and the closest thing I saw to IFF indicators were that some of the western forces troops had their flag on the left shoulder whereas the US Army uniform has the flag on the right shoulder. I never got a good look at the government forces guys from the film’s climax so I couldn’t tell you if they had the flags on the right shoulders or not. It’s possible that’s just a mistake the filmmakers made instead of something purposeful.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Personally, I was there for the story, not for a trip down the hardware rabbit hole.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List