Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGBs / Adjustable Gas Blocks

AGBs / Adjustable Gas Blocks

What's the current hotness? Just shot my 5.45 AR with my Saker 7.62 can and it ran great, except for really bad gas to the face.
    #RESIST

Ain't fucked with it myself, but the RIFLESPEED Gas Controls are one of the newer choices that seem to be doing well, and does not need a hex wrench for adjustment. Otherwise, the old standbys of the SLRs and Superlative Arms still seem to hold true.

Site Supporter
    The actual “new hotness” is the Black River Tactical adjustable gas tube rather than a gas block.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Ad...ystem-c6464009

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The actual “new hotness” is the Black River Tactical adjustable gas tube rather than a gas block.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Ad...ystem-c6464009
    Eh, I took the original post to mean for a solution that adjusts between suppressed and unsuppressed. A Saker ASR 762 on a 5.45×39mm gun doesn't sound like a dedicated suppressed rig. The oddball combination may also be a little harder to get a good read on a compromise gas tube port size, though who knows what Clint's got up his sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What's the current hotness? Just shot my 5.45 AR with my Saker 7.62 can and it ran great, except for really bad gas to the face.
    Adjustable gas blocks are not durable. They get hot, springs lose temper, parts get clogged with carbon and either start leaking or lose adjustability. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use one, just be aware of what you're getting yourself into. I've shot two or three adjustable gas blocks into ruin.

In the long run, adjustability between suppressed and unsuppressed isn't worth the hassle. Adjusting an AR so it will function both suppressed and unsuppressed is a scam. If a suppressed AR is tuned so it extracts and ejects without a suppressor, it's tuned to run unsuppressed. It may reduce gas to face, a good thing, but it's not really tuned for a suppressor. An AR tuned to function correctly with a suppresser short strokes unsuppressed

Don't let this discourage you. My point is that there isn't a "current hotness" for adjustable gas blocks etc., but there are workable compromises and something should fit your purpose.

My compromise is to tune the AR to function suppressed using a barrel ported for suppressor use or a BRT gas tube. If I need an AR to function unsuppressed, I set up a second AR.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Adjustable gas blocks will get you killed in the streetz!

In my experience the Superlative Arms block hasnt had any reliability or functional issues. I also have been killed with it. I've tried both venting and restriction modes, don't see much of a difference other than the resolution/sensitivity of the adjustments. It's been on my main biathlon rifle for ~4 years.

AGBs aren't great to constantly make adjustments with. Even the SA which has discernable clicks still requires you to count (40 total positions). I keep a Google spreadsheet with my current adjustment and notes (i.e. click 38 is good for suppressed with X ammo at 30 degrees F).

Some people double up an adjustable carrier with an AGB. The AGB is set and forget at the optimal unsuppressed setting and the carrier is used as a binary switch between unsuppressed and suppressed.

I also have a Bootleg adjustable carrier paired with a BRT barrel. The BRT barrel is gassed pretty well: it functions reliably 223 brass ammo but any restriction causes issues. The bootleg carrier works well here. With a flat head screwdriver I can switch easily if the dust cover is open. I keep a stubby driver in the pistol grip.

The Rifle speed product looks like a great concept. Probably worth the coin. You could probably paint the positions you like for suppressed/unsuppressed and make it super simple.

The Dutch knew the Stoner system needed an adjustable gas block 65 years ago.

The BRT gas tube works alright. I preferred the older gas jets he sold. These required that the gas block be drilled and tapped. Then the desired little screw was installed inside the block. It was quite similar to what FN uses inside the SCAR gas block.

With all that said, the gas tube is probably the better solution. It is less expensive and doesn't require as much work to install. Also easier to change if +/- gas is needed.

I do wonder about the long term durability. Will the restricted port in the gas tube erode away? Maybe eventually.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Adjustable gas blocks will get you killed in the streetz!

In my experience the Superlative Arms block hasnt had any reliability or functional issues. I also have been killed with it. I've tried both venting and restriction modes, don't see much of a difference other than the resolution/sensitivity of the adjustments. It's been on my main biathlon rifle for ~4 years.

AGBs aren't great to constantly make adjustments with. Even the SA which has discernable clicks still requires you to count (40 total positions). I keep a Google spreadsheet with my current adjustment and notes (i.e. click 38 is good for suppressed with X ammo at 30 degrees F).

Some people double up an adjustable carrier with an AGB. The AGB is set and forget at the optimal unsuppressed setting and the carrier is used as a binary switch between unsuppressed and suppressed.

I also have a Bootleg adjustable carrier paired with a BRT barrel. The BRT barrel is gassed pretty well: it functions reliably 223 brass ammo but any restriction causes issues. The bootleg carrier works well here. With a flat head screwdriver I can switch easily if the dust cover is open. I keep a stubby driver in the pistol grip.

The Rifle speed product looks like a great concept. Probably worth the coin. You could probably paint the positions you like for suppressed/unsuppressed and make it super simple.
    My condolences
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I do wonder about the long term durability. Will the restricted port in the gas tube erode away? Maybe eventually.

BRT says 10,000 rounds.

I have a Superlative and an LMT E-Carrier. I bought a DD10.3 and it had the bigger, older port. So the Superlative doesn't work in venting mode, works fine in restricted. I am 99% suppressed and set the AGB and leave it. The gas block is not even pinned... it doesn't keep me up at night, but I want a better setup and a pinned GB. I have a bootleg AGB in the parts bin.

If you guys remember, there was a block called the Govnah. It seemed like the most robust setup but they are out of business. What about Noveske Switchblocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The Dutch knew the Stoner system needed an adjustable gas block 65 years ago.

The BRT gas tube works alright. I preferred the older gas jets he sold. These required that the gas block be drilled and tapped. Then the desired little screw was installed inside the block. It was quite similar to what FN uses inside the SCAR gas block.

With all that said, the gas tube is probably the better solution. It is less expensive and doesn't require as much work to install. Also easier to change if +/- gas is needed.

$60 for a gas tube though is really steep.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

User Tag List