Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Hornet Super Redhawk on the way?

.22 Hornet Super Redhawk on the way?

RUGER AND RABBITS FROM HATS…

In the past few years since, CMMG, Diamondback, KelTec, PSA, and S&W entered the 5.7 game while Ruger expanded their offerings to include carbines, forcing FN to release an updated Mk3 variant of the Five-Seven pistol. In the same period, ammo makers saw the writing on the wall and started making the rounds in quantity and variants never seen in the caliber, both increasing supply and halving the cost.

Amazing what can happen when someone takes an almost forgotten round and, through the introduction of a new gun, breathes life back into it.

Well, Ruger may be trying to do a repeat with a new chambering for an old revolver. Last week they announced a new variant of the vaunted double-action Ruger Super Redhawk in .22 Hornet.

Name:  IMG_1912.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  15.0 KB

Ohboyohboyohboy! I have ZERO use for this other than cool points because I’m a confirmed Gun N-E-R-D with a soft spot for old varmint cartridges.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    RUGER AND RABBITS FROM HATS…

In the past few years since, CMMG, Diamondback, KelTec, PSA, and S&W entered the 5.7 game while Ruger expanded their offerings to include carbines, forcing FN to release an updated Mk3 variant of the Five-Seven pistol. In the same period, ammo makers saw the writing on the wall and started making the rounds in quantity and variants never seen in the caliber, both increasing supply and halving the cost.

Amazing what can happen when someone takes an almost forgotten round and, through the introduction of a new gun, breathes life back into it.

Well, Ruger may be trying to do a repeat with a new chambering for an old revolver. Last week they announced a new variant of the vaunted double-action Ruger Super Redhawk in .22 Hornet.

Name:  IMG_1912.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  15.0 KB

Ohboyohboyohboy! I have ZERO use for this other than cool points because I’m a confirmed Gun N-E-R-D with a soft spot for old varmint cartridges.
    Taking a page out of Taurus’ book I see.

I had a 218 Mashburn Bee for awhile. Model 43 Win. IIRC. That cartridge is pretty close to a 22 Hornet. I've regretted selling it since I started reloading.

I would rather have a 22 Hornet than a 30 Carbine revolver if I were looking for something like that. Probably more accurate and easier to load. I think 55 gr .224 bullets would be plentiful and cheap. New brass seems to be scarce.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

My grandpa liked the small 22s, like the Hornet and the 218. He had a No 3 Ruger stocked to look like a Number 1.

The Redhawk seems too heavy to be useful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    My grandpa liked the small 22s, like the Hornet and the 218. He had a No 3 Ruger stocked to look like a Number 1.

The Redhawk seems too heavy to be useful to me.

This may be one of those times that the weight is so great it may be a worthwhile choice to go with a specialty single shot in a similar chambering.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    This may be one of those times that the weight is so great it may be a worthwhile choice to go with a specialty single shot in a similar chambering.
    I forgot that in the 90s I did briefly own a 14" Contender in 22 Hornet. At the time I found a scoped pistol awkward to shoot. I sold it to buy a .223 varmint rifle as I had an opportunity to go after prairie dogs in Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I forgot that in the 90s I did briefly own a 14" Contender in 22 Hornet. At the time I found a scoped pistol awkward to shoot. I sold it to buy a .223 varmint rifle as I had an opportunity to go after prairie dogs in Montana.

I used to dislike scoped pistols, but they are growing on me considerably. One of the tipping points was a discussion about longer range shooting of iro sighted sixguns, one guy mentioned he was shooting I think 1 1/2" or 2" groups @ 300 yards with his XP100. I instantly wanted one, and hope to some day. A scoped pistol is certainly a niche, but one thats not really possible to fill any other way that im aware of as regards precision and longer ranges.

A scoped Smith model 27 8 3/8" could also fill a useful niche and be hugely fun to shoot, nor would it be all that heavy as compared to some other options.

I like the idea of the 22 Hornet Super Redhawk, but think its going to be very heavy for what it is.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I have no use for such a revolver, but I have had T/C Contender pistols and rifles in .22 Hornet, .22 AI Hornet, .22. K-Hornet, .218 Mashburn Bee, and .219 Wasp. I do wonder how Ruger has dealt with the tendency for these rounds to end up pressed against the breech and tie up the revolver (aka S&W 53 in .22 Remington Jet).

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Taking a page out of Taurus’ book I see.
    I'd forgotten about the Raging Bee and Hornet! I think they were dropped from the line up a while back though.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I do wonder how Ruger has dealt with the tendency for these rounds to end up pressed against the breech and tie up the revolver (aka S&W 53 in .22 Remington Jet).
    Good question. If they did, I wonder what sort of black magic it required because no one else has been able to figure it out AFAIK.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I've never shot a scoped revolver. One day I realized I had a revolver that could mount a reflex sight (red dot) so put one that I had hanging around on my 625-8.

My evaluation of that is it's a winner. Because 50 yards is about all I will ever shoot a 45 ACP revolver, it's magic.

Longer shots with a revolver won't be of any interest to me although I know people hunt with those. Scopes just seem like too much hardware on a revolver IMO.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List