Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania residents please contact your state representatives

Site Supporter

Pennsylvania residents please contact your state representatives

Multiple anti-gun bills are moving through the state house.

HB 336 is a semi-auto ban. While it does not appear to be the intent of this bill, as it is written right now, it would ban almost any firearm (even if not a semiautomatic) capable of accepting a detachable magazine. See the definition of an assault weapon: "(1) A selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or a firearm that has the ability to accept a large-capacity magazine." Note that after the "or", "firearm" is not further limited, and any firearm capable of accepting a detachable magazine is capable of accepting a large capacity magazine as long as anyone makes such a magazine for that gun.

HB 777 restricts privately made firearms.

HB 1190 bans 3D printed firearms.

HB 483 creates a Gun Violence Task Force.

Democrats narrowly control the House, and Republicans narrowly control the Senate. Although party-line votes are predictable, and the bills may never see the light of day in the Senate, only a small number of squishy Republicans could change the outcome.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

What's the beef with HB483?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What's the beef with HB483?
    My first thought when I saw task force was more state-funded propaganda pushing for gun control. Now that I read the bill, my biggest concern is taking prosecutorial decisions away from locally elected prosecutors.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    My first thought when I saw task force was more state-funded propaganda pushing for gun control. Now that I read the bill, my biggest concern is taking prosecutorial decisions away from locally elected prosecutors.
    /laughs in Chicagoland and Kim Foxx
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Site Supporter
    HB 777, which restricts privately made firearms, is expected to be voted on by the full house, where the Democrats have a 1 seat majority. Please be ready to contact your state senators if it passes the house, which appears likely. Please also contact any Republican house or senate members who could potentially be considering voting in favor of this bill.

HB 777 restricts privately made firearms.HB 1190 bans 3D printed firearms.
    These both read like a prohibition on manufacturing not possession. Which functionally makes the "ban" seem to be unenforceable unless someone sits there and watches you whittle a frame out of a Polymer 80 kit or 3d print one.

The first one seems to state that FFLs can't touch a Ghost Gun without putting a serial number on it.

The "parts" part of the second one is the real standout. Technically illegal to 3d print parts to repair even serialized "legal" guns. But in any case I'm at a loss as to how this could be enforced in practice. 3D printers at large do not (AFAIK) have the sort of anti-counterfeiting measure that paper printers have for e.g. printing $100 bills. Once the part, receiver or anything else is actually printed it's kosher unless someone actually witnessed you doing it?

Either these are just poorly written or it's some policy wonk compromise to get it through a narrow majority. Presumably so reps from Philly and Pittsburgh can claim a "win" while passing a law that is functionally toothless. I'd love to hear an alternate explanation. Maybe the primary goal is for LE to target people making these things in bulk? Because if it's supposed to be a "ban" for PA residents at large it's an incredibly weak one.

Site Supporter
    Depending on what the Supreme Court ultimately does with partially finished frames or receivers, this bill could prevent anyone in PA from obtaining one in the future unless it is serialized. No reputable place will sell one where it is illegal. Although it would remain legal to possess what you already have, losing that might be the next step if this succeeds.

Site Supporter
    The unfinished frame ban passed the House 104-97, with 3 Republicans joining Democrats to pass it. Hopefully predictions of this bill not getting far in the Senate are correct, but please contact any senators who might make the mistake of supporting it. If this bill is not stopped in the Senate, it will become law.

https://wtae.com/article/pennsylvani...-guns/60322475

The unfinished frame ban passed the House 104-97, with 3 Republicans joining Democrats to pass it. Hopefully predictions of this bill not getting far in the Senate are correct, but please contact any senators who might make the mistake of supporting it. If this bill is not stopped in the Senate, it will become law.

https://wtae.com/article/pennsylvani...-guns/60322475
    What kind of word salad, feel good, Democrat type of nonsense is this?

At least six other states have passed similar legislation, said the bill’s primary sponsor, Rep. Morgan Cephas, D-Philadelphia.

“I want to go on record in saying: In this body, for far too long, we constantly focus on singularly going after bad actors once the crimes are committed,” she said. “This bill is an opportunity to get in front of this issue like so many other states.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    What kind of word salad, feel good, Democrat type of nonsense is this?

At least six other states have passed similar legislation, said the bill’s primary sponsor, Rep. Morgan Cephas, D-Philadelphia.

“I want to go on record in saying: In this body, for far too long, we constantly focus on singularly going after bad actors once the crimes are committed,” she said. “This bill is an opportunity to get in front of this issue like so many other states.”
    Classic liberal “Laws as magic spells” fantasy.
    They seem to believe that if they make certain items illegal, the “bad actors” won’t get them to commit crimes. Because it would be illegal to…. commit crimes?

User Tag List