Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not all fingers on grip? Issues? Techniques to use for smaller grip then hand?

Not all fingers on grip? Issues? Techniques to use for smaller grip then hand?

I have xxl hands and am tall.

I get my full hand on the grip of many full size models. All compacts have a partial hand grip, with the pinky finger only being partially on the grip or mostly off the grip, sometimes impeding any magazine changes. Subcompacts usually have the whole pinky off the grip with the ring finger either fully on or partially off, sometimes magazine changes can be impeded.

My fingers can pretty much touch my palm on subcompacts, within roughly 1/2 inch of touching palm on compacts, and maybe 3/4 of an inch from touching palm on full size pistols.

Is it an issue to not have all the fingers on the grip?

Are there any techniques to use for a grip that is smaller than the hand and fingers are off the grip?

Would I be better off carrying and shooting a full size (G17/45, P226, etc.) to get a full grip?

What I've found works for me is simply to tuck the pinky finger TIGHT under the butt. It helps to reciprocally tighten the other fingers. I'd say it gives me, subjectively, about 90% or better of what I have with all fingers there.

This versus larger gun is a trade-off of concealability vis-a-vis shootability. Only you can balance your particular needs. Good luck!

I shoot short-gripped guns kind of like @Mas describes, and it works well. A grip that's too slim is problematic because the support hand has minimal contact with the grip, and I have to crush harder with the support hand to keep the gun locked in. I prefer the largest grip that allows me to pull the trigger well. Fortunately for me, I have sMedium hands. Glocks with no backstrap fit me well. I'm not sure what to recommend for folks with giant hands, other than bigger guns.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

IMO the best advice has already been given. I'd just ask why, with hands your size, would you want to use such small guns? Unless there is a really good reason.

Generally, larger pistols in common defensive calibers are considered easier to shoot accurately at speed.

Another thing I've seen is to put the weak hand index finger in front of the trigger guard to help get that hand higher up (which was also popular for awhile in IPSC, as I understand, and still sees some use these days by high level shooters even with full sized guns).

What Mas describes is exactly what I do with my Glock 26.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I agree with Default. I put my index finger of my support hand on the front of the trigger guard. It allows me to get a strong grip and my hands are high on the gun giving me a full purchase of the grip.

I have XL hands and have tried most of the techniques mentioned in this thread (and probably a couple more) when shooting sub-compact (small) pistols and revolvers.

For me, success was marginal with each technique and attempts to solve the problem with different pistol or revolver grips.

So, I finally decided to work harder at concealment tools and techniques and sacrifice comfort for larger pistols that I have more confidence in my ability to shoot for EDC.

For me, the S&W Shield Plus with the 13 round magazine in a JMCK holster has proven to just make the grade as a "small" pistol that fits my glove size 12 mitts and that I can shoot pretty well.

That's a long way of saying that my answer to trying to shoot a pistol with a grip smaller than my hand was to quit trying and look for an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    IMO the best advice has already been given. I'd just ask why, with hands your size, would you want to use such small guns? Unless there is a really good reason.

Generally, larger pistols in common defensive calibers are considered easier to shoot accurately at speed.
    Smaller pistols are easier to carry.

One reason I prefer my sub-compact guns to be revolvers, is that a tucked pinky does not interfere with reloading the gun.

That said, as Mas and Clusterfrack described is as I do. Tuck the pinky in tight under the butt, squeeze tightly with middle,, ring, and thumb. I have actually spent time shooting both a J-Frame and an LCP weak hand, using only the thumb and middle finger to hold the gun (think I'm sticking my pinky and ring finger out to drink tea). Recoil mitigation is of course hampered, but it is possible.

I think one thing folks try to do and it might work if you have strong hands, is shoot tiny guns thumbs forward. I do not do this, if I don't have a full grip, I curl the shooting hand thumb down to apply additional lateral pressure to the gun and help prevent it from squirming.

User Tag List